Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good starter recurve that can be uswd for hunting

Default Good starter recurve that can be uswd for hunting

Hey all been a while.
    I'm looking for a solid starter bow. Recurve around 55lbs and wanted some input.

Is 55 enough to take larger game like Deer?
    how long should I practice Holding draw, 1-2 minutes?
    What arrows would be best?
    Takedown or Single piece?
    What string should I be looking for?

My daughter just took up archery, 7yrs old, and they have her on a compound. She mentioned that its not the same as Kagome( anime/cartoon) who uses a japanese longbow. Thinking of getting her a lil sioux from barnett to sling arrows with. Personally I picture recurve/long hen I think archery skI would preferably like to start there.

Side note is shooting a recurve done differntly that a compound?
    Or is it just a matter of a differnt feeling draw?
    I think the compounds they use are Genesis over at the proshop/range that I take my daughter to.

WTRFWLR, a member here has extensive knowledge in this area. You might try sending him a PM. I haven't seen him on here for a while though.

I'm sure there is someone else here who can help you though.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yes, compounds shoot and act differently than conventional bow, and conventional bows made from different materials shoot differently than each other.

I am no "expert" but do know that there are extensive networks of bow shooters on the internet, just like there are with the camping, back packing and survival forums. That is where I go when I have a question. However, most of my questions are in reguard to primitive bows and either "tradgang" or "primitive archer" will have my information. I have never done a search for a compound bow or crossbow topic. Those are set up for me at the shop and I usually never need to adjust them again.

Be aware that many of the archers are just as devicive among themselves as shooters. Some are into one aspect and not the other. Self bow shooters fight the lanimated bow shooters and some traditional archery forums will bann you for saying the word "compound bow".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Yes, compounds shoot and act differently than conventional bow, and conventional bows made from different materials shoot differently...
    Be aware that many of the archers are just as devicive among themselves as shooters. Some are into one aspect and not the other. Self bow shooters fight the lanimated bow shooters and some traditional archery forums will bann you for saying the word "compound bow".
    Wow. Didn't know it was such a hot bed. Lol move over NKorea.
    could you explain the difference in the technique used for firing a conventional recurve vs compound.

For example compound (basic) load sight draw with 3 fingers bring kisser to side corner of mouth nose close to string with eyes on target fire.

Like I said basic. I was told to example Japanese long bows require a quick flick rotation at the point of firing with the wrist holding the bow.

So do recurves employ a very different method/technique.

Would u really be banned on those forums for mentioning compound?

Depends on the forum I suppose. Why, just the other day I banned a fella for saying he didn't like bacon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I casually ask a bowman (thats what he called him self), what were some good arrows, and recieved an hour long lecture on materials, draw length, fletching, tips and so forth.

Some times we over think this stuff and get tangled up in details.

I would think that a trip to your local bow shop would answer most of your questions.....

I still shoot a recureve that has a couple of cams added , making it a kinda a compound, and was home made by a buddy, an sadly I gave away MF's Bear long bow to a nephew that put it up, in favor of a super dooper, el-tricko compound......Wish I had it back.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I used to do a lot of shooting. When I was a child, I was introduced to archery with a recurve. It's what my father shot, so that's what he taught me. As an adult I continued shooting, but started using compounds as well as a recurve.

They do shoot very different. It's much easier to hold the draw on a compound, since the pulling force drops off sharply near full draw. However, a compound is technically more complex, therefore more difficult to maintain, such as in changing strings.

As hunter63 said, a trip to a local archery shop (one that includes a shooting range) would answer a lot of your questions. You would also be able to shoot the bows, and see what works best for you.
    Klytus, I'm bored -- Emperor Ming

Nature is never boring -- various

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    sadly I gave away MF's Bear long bow to a nephew that put it up, in favor of a super dooper, el-tricko compound......Wish I had it back.

You're the uncle. He's the nephew. Tell him to bring it back. He can have it when you get done with it. No, you don't have to thank me. Just glad to help.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Though of that....he's been real busy last couple of years, finishing his degree, working a job, buying a house, getting married, having kids (one here and one on the way).....so I probably won't see him too much for 20 years or so.....

Too bad, he just got to the age and training to be my hunting partner, designated driver, go-fer, and all around helper......OH well, the goal was to get him going, from age 13,.....that seems to work out well.

Heh. My uncle still calls me to fix his pc and Im 4hrs away so no excuses, I also have 3 lil ones.

So to start off I decided to get two inexspensive bows a lil banshee compound and a bear titan. They both got the best online reviews for under $50

The range/proshop near me only had one recurve and the owner of the shop didn't seems to be enthused about selling me a recurve and was pushing compounds which he had a bunch of.

Im more concerned about learning to shoot for myself and my daughter, hunting etc is secondary so recurve seems to be the best bet for now.

A friend of mine said he learned on the same recurve if not something similar with no extras and while he swears by his compounds for hunting he thinks recurve is prolly the best starting off point.
    Last edited by Davidlastink; 03-12-2013 at 05:29 PM.

I would go to a reputable bow shop that has a decent collection of bows and look at some and try some out. Bows are very personal they need to fit you and feel good to you. A good shop will let you try a couple out on their range and help you pick one that will fit your needs.

There is only one in my area or I can god to wallyworld/ dicks I was looking through a PSE catalog and they had some nice looking recurves. As far as the fit how does one measure the proper length and draw of a bow? I know I want a 55lbs or higher and I stand at 5'8.5". Is there some way to measure my Draw? Can I use a compound bow yo find it out? Will draw carry over from one recurve to another of the same lbs? I will have to go back to the proshop after work and see if I can shoot the one recurve they do have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidlastink View Post
    There is only one in my area or I can god to wallyworld/ dicks I was looking through a PSE catalog and they had some nice looking recurves. As far as the fit how does one measure the proper length and draw of a bow? I know I want a 55lbs or higher and I stand at 5'8.5". Is there some way to measure my Draw? Can I use a compound bow yo find it out? Will draw carry over from one recurve to another of the same lbs? I will have to go back to the proshop after work and see if I can shoot the one recurve they do have there.
    The thing about walmart and dicks is the odds are you will have a min wage worker who has no clue and will probably sell you the wrong bow and your daughter will have to struggle with it until she gets one that fits.

Their is also hand size and over all shape and size, you really have to pick up a bow and see if it fits your hand and feels nice when you hold it, some bows just suit people better, like shoes.

Might want to check out this site....gets into draw lengths.....and makes the point that compounds need to shot a full draw....what ever that is.

So it stands to reason that if you are going to start with a re-curve, you draw length for a compound should be used....especially since you are talking about moving up at some point.

I feel you pain, with all the choices out there, I would find it difficult to choose a new bow my self.

So I'll stick with my trusty "Browning Bantam" I have been using for years.

It's short, so I can swing it around from tight quarters.

When I bought it, I bought a 65# (bigger is better, right?...), and could draw it from a standing position...and hold it (it's a simple compound).
    So to try it out I put a step ladder in a tree in the back yard, sat on the top, and shot at apples from the other tree in the yard.

But trying it for a sitting position with arms pinned in somewhat, (crotch of tree tree stand)....had a heck of a time as it was all arm strength.
    So, took it back and swapped it for a 50# that was much more comfortable.

Good luck on your search.......there is a lot of them out there, and some are pretty pricey as well.

Talked to a very knowledgable person over at the proshop, not the owner who is a national compound champ. I'm getting a Martin Jaguar #55 takedown recurve, will be shootign it from the shelf totally intuative and work from there.

Good luck and good shooting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Talked to a very knowledgable person over at the proshop, not the owner who is a national compound champ. I'm getting a Martin Jaguar #55 takedown recurve, will be shootign it from the shelf totally intuative and work from there.
    so apparently the jaguar isn't meant to be shot from the shelf, something about it being flat, does this really matter? I might have to go up to a Martin saber if that is the case will go over to the proshop and bring this up later when they open.

so apparently the jaguar isn't meant to be shot from the shelf, something about it being flat, does this really matter? I might have to go up to a Martin saber if that is the case will go over to the proshop and bring this up later when they open.
    What does that mean?.....from the shelf?....That's a new one on me....
    Off the shelf?... needs to be tuned?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    What does that mean?.....from the shelf?....That's a new one on me....
    Off the shelf?... needs to be tuned?
    Yes off the shelf.
    Seems to be the same no matter if I go with the jaguar or saber so I will save some green and go with the jaguar.

I did some snooping around and some say furniture pads, the little felt foot protector things for hardwood floors etc can be used to build up the shelf and out from the riser.

Yes off the shelf.
    Seems to be the same no matter if I go with the jaguar or saber so I will save some green and go with the jaguar.

I did some snooping around and some say furniture pads, the little felt foot protector things for hardwood floors etc can be used to build up the shelf and out from the riser.
    Gottcha.....Thanks.