Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter-gatherer heart disease

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Hunter-gatherer heart disease

It appears that we brought heart disease out of the caves with us. So much for healthy diet and exercise.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-10-20-16-55
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Life isn't always fair...that's for sure.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Just think of all those mummies with hardened arteries........Wait a minute...They are mummies. Wouldn't they all have hardened arteries??? Jeeze, I could be an archeologist....doctor....type person. Lol,

What ever you do, you ain't getting out of this life....alive.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yep, No one promised you would live to 100 and be rich.

I have already outlived the life expectancy of my grandfater's generation, and that of my father. I have already survived what killed 2 of my GGfathers while they were in their 50s, which was the topic of this article.

When Social Security was instituted in 1938 life expectancy was 56. Today if we do not make it to 100, and are not stil going line dancing every Saturday night at that age, we feel "cheated".

Can you imagine just a few years back, when people strived to live to 50?

The seems to be a pattern here....I read the paper morning (What?...Paper?)....the obits or on the from page.....with ages.

Has turned into a daily..... "Ah Ha....Well beat that one, so far....or 97, seriously?...why would you want to put up with all this for That long...?."

The one that make it past 55 and go to the Dr. seem to carry on a while, but there are a lot of, "never been sick in their life" that keel over around 55 or so..Lost a BIL to sudden heart attack at 56...that don't get care, or ignore their signs and life style.

No one is gonna live till 100 and be "rich", as the cost of health care will break most everyone long before that.

It will be there.. but not affordable to the masses.....kind of a round about way to put SS back in the black....
    I'll stop as it's gonna get political from here on in.....but you get the picture.

I get a kick out some of the so called ancient diets....eat grass and live for ever.....That would suck!...Why would you want to do that?
    ....and by reading that posted article....didn't do them any good anyway.

"Waiter.....I'll have the king prime rib, rare and bleeding....mushrooms and fried onions, big baked potato w/ sour cream and bacon pieces...... and another beer......"
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-11-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: splin'

Oh goodness gracious....ya mean to say I gotta learn how to line dance?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's a proven fact that if you live long enough you will die But honestly, the hunter gatherers ate meat, and meat has fat which tastes good and adds flavor, so it stands to reason that they ate some fat!
    Poor bastids didn't have all of the great junk food we have these days so I guess fat was probably their junk food!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    It's a proven fact that if you live long enough you will die But honestly, the hunter gatherers ate meat, and meat has fat which tastes good and adds flavor, so it stands to reason that they ate some fat!
    Poor bastids didn't have all of the great junk food we have these days so I guess fat was probably their junk food!

.....and they lived all the way into their 20's.....

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    .....and they lived all the way into their 20's.....
    Yea, but the reason they only lived into their 20s was because what they ate killed them....if they wounded it and pi$$ed it off.

And they had their own form of junk food. Fruits and berries with occasional honey. Oddly enough, that "healthy" stuff has high carb content and sugar out the wazoo.

Can't be good for you! Look what it did to Adam!

They also craved salt. Most of the stone age settlements are near salt sources.

I took a class a couple of years ago at the public library about hunter gatherers. There was a chapter on teeth and gums. The hunter gatherers of today (of which there aren't a whole bunch left) were the test subjects. Turns out they have alot better teeth, jaws and gums than we civilized folk. It was attributed to a lack sugar in their diets and having to chew their food a helluva lot longer than we do. Gives a whole new meaning to "chewing the cud". (Or chewing the fat?)

Cant top a good article - but BED BUGS developed a taste for us 100,000 years ago when we were favored over bats in caves... there is a genetic small difference of a Bat Bug even today!
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    No one is gonna live till 100 and be "rich", as the cost of health care will break most everyone long before that.
    It will be there.. but not affordable to the masses.....
    That in itself should be the most compelling motivator to take care of your health before you are forced to. If not to live longer, then enjoy a better quality of life (however long you live) exercising prevention, not being dependent on intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    That in itself should be the most compelling motivator to take care of your health before you are forced to. If not to live longer, then enjoy a better quality of life (however long you live) exercising prevention, not being dependent on intervention.
    True....too bad we have to Pay for it anyway.......I'll stop there.

The article doesn't take into account the number of heart attacks experienced by hunter gatherers when they turned around and found a Saber Toothed Tiger standing there or a Mammoth with one foot raised. There is just so much science doesn't cover.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That's why we have you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The article doesn't take into account the number of heart attacks experienced by hunter gatherers when they turned around and found a Saber Toothed Tiger standing there or a Mammoth with one foot raised. There is just so much science doesn't cover.
    Like I said, sometimes their food did kill them!

To be fair, humans had lived a domesticated life of agriculture for several millennia by the time of the Old Kingdom period of Egypt began. A huge part of the human diet (in that part of the world) was grain, especially wheat. Grinding wheat on stones introduced sand into the flour and wrecked their teeth. Mummification as a funerary custom (done in the manner of ancient Egypt) was the product of an advanced agrarian society.

Quote>Humans had lived a domesticated life of agriculture for several millennia <Quote.....because of beer.

Oh man, can you imagine life without beer