Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Ever Think Survivalists Are Just Playing Grown Up Games?

I think it's pointless trying to label everyone.

If you live out in the sticks then it's common sense to have some emergency supplies tucked away for bad winters.
    Even in cities i do believe it's wise to have a few weeks worth of food and water.

Floods, hurricanes etc can knock out the supply chain for a few weeks so if your not the kind of person who relies on others i don't think many people would disagree that say a months worth of supplies is wise.

You then get the ones that are hoarders.
    Be it hundreds of rounds of ammo, years supplies of food, or living in a bunker.

I have a good mate who lives in Miami, the guy had over $10,000 worth of guns and ammunition, yet not $500 saved up.
    He lost his job and had to sell everything to make his rent.

That to be is a grown up playing a game and not living in reality.

The thread spoke of preppers, but there are lots of us who are here for other reasons. My interest is in outdoor skills. But I figure woodsmanship and ancestral skills are useful in the event of a disaster or a societal meltdown.
    If you aren't having fun, then it is hard to sustain an interest long enough to learn much. And if you don't measure yourself against others, learn from your betters, and challenge each other, you're less likely to ever be very good.
    But it makes me nervous to realize there are plenty of folk who intend to use their skills to harm rather than to assist during a crisis. And right here on this site, I chuckle... perhaps a bit nervously... to see I can click on an add to view "your arrest record now". LOL!

Aye, the only prepping I'm interested in is mentally prepping for any situation I might find myself in whether I have equipment/stash/shelter or not.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

ive read the groups posts for 3 yrs back an i may be wrong but the way i understand most of the members here to be woodsmen and country small farmers- survialist give it a hard label for people to grab onto as in most things youll have a few that go overboard and think their gi joe but usualy the calmer people settle them down (tv doesnt help always starting the next sky is falling show ) the younsters to the idea hopefuly will let the people that know what their doing show them the ropes wether it be in print or in real time. to me most of the guys and ladys on this site would fit right in any town 50 yrs ago . we like living that way we like being able to trust our neighbors and our neighbors trusting us if tv wants to call us fools to hell with them
    Last edited by old2531; 03-07-2013 at 11:13 PM.