Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Ever Think Survivalists Are Just Playing Grown Up Games?

Default Do You Ever Think Survivalists Are Just Playing Grown Up Games?

I was reading this article and as I have often thought that some of the preppers are playing an adult game. Trying to out do the preps of others or seem more prepared or skilled.

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2...-training?lite

What do you think about this article?

Well I think some of them are, but most are just undercover preppers that want to be ready for what the world dishes out. To me wilderness survival is part of prepping and it all goes together for being prepared. It would disturb me to be in the news like that and knowing the whole world knows what you are doing. I can't see the publicity being a good thing if the S ever does hit the fan!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Prepping for what?

Just offering the media more targets.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Prepping?....whats that?....It was invented in Dec of 1999.
    I'm a hunter/gatherer, that needs stuff to wander the woods, rivers, lakes......and such.

Yeah, I just happen to grow/gather food, meds, and buy my stuff bulk on sale....and look for good deals (another form of hunting).....and like to know how to fix and build stuff, having the materials around to do it.....Whats the big deal on that?...same stuff MM/MF....GM/GF did and even their ancestors before them....?

Games?......pretty serious game, lot's of 4th down and long situations in life to deal with I guess.
    Things don't always go how you draw them up.

Like anything else, you have to practice if you want to improve.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

A couple of generations ago, everyone was a survivalist, in that in order to live, they had to attend to a survivalist technic. Today, people are able to turn over the survival function to their technology. They don't feel that they have to be concerned with their survival - they have become domesticated. Arguably, that is the purpose and logical end of urbanism. Unfortunately, the "not having to worry about survival" is an illusion. The need to intentionally survive has been removed to a distance but it's still there.

There are two significant dangers of modern survivalism. They are equivalent to a dog trying to become wild and only succeeding in becoming feral. One is that it becomes a game - a competition with rules. The rules are artificial, in other words, they are not conditioned by reality but by imaginary constructs. It's like people playing apocalyptic role games.

The other is cultism. Survival requires reliance on a community. This form of survivalism incorporates the idea that, only by adherence to strict rules and exclusion of outsiders can a group survive. It's accepted in systems analysis that any system with the potential to continue to function must be flexible and it must exhibit at least as much variety as the surrounding environment.

Two common forms of feral humanity is the survivalist militia and the street gang.

Both urbanism and survivalism has inherent dangers - in themselves, they are not bad but if the people who take them up are not aware of the ways they can escalate into self destructive lifestyles, they will slide into ferity, not wildness.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

1st, the leader needs to get in shape. He looks like he couldn't survive a heart attack! Next, what are they prepping for? Look at all of the guns. These idiots are making their intentions known publicly and that's just not smart! Looks like they got a great deal on Woodland Camo clothing though. Yep, that's what I need to have for prepping, an AK47!...
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

My biggest problems with 'main stream' survivalism as of late (as very much opposed to this forum, and another I read) is that there seem to be so many people caught up on the tactical end, rather than the practical. Perhaps the defensive fighting side needs attention sometimes, as some situations may bring the hostility out in a few people. But mostly, just knowing how to shoot and move quietly won't do squat for you if you're hunting for a place to camp and water to drink before sundown. Or if you haven't seen a single animal all day (or wasted a desperate shot or two at a small bird -- we ARE talking a SHTF situation of course), and you're daggum famished. Knowing a few plants might help at that point.

I know all of that is preaching to the choir here, but I do get tired of people more concerned with making a 'smokeless' fire, hiding from 'them drones, man!' and avoiding detection than actually living more than the time it will take to face debilitating dehydration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    1st, the leader needs to get in shape. He looks like he couldn't survive a heart attack! Next, what are they prepping for? Look at all of the guns. These idiots are making their intentions known publicly and that's just not smart! Looks like they got a great deal on Woodland Camo clothing though. Yep, that's what I need to have for prepping, an AK47!...
    Yeah teaching little girls to shoot AK47's aint real cool! Some people just don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Yeah teaching little girls to shoot AK47's aint real cool! Some people just don't get it
    My daughters love to shoot. I started them at 3yrs old. Do I not get it?
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    My daughters love to shoot. I started them at 3yrs old. Do I not get it?
    I have no problem with kids shooting guns, but I would not let a 3 year old shoot an AK, just doesn't seem right. I beleive all kids should learn on a bolt action .22 and shoot that for a while. I would think letting young children shoot assult rifles would allow them to think that shooting is more spraying lead than learning marksmanship.

If they want their kids to survive in the 21st century, the best place to start is with some math and science skills. Chances are, they might need those first.

I'm more concerned with the lack of fitness in the leader and the young boy. Granted, I'm no Usain Bolt, but I imagine the ability to run away will serve one better in a fight than the ability to spray lead, unless you're cornered that is. Further, fitness is important for the other 95% of survival that doesn't involve fighting: the hunting, moving to search for resources and other people to help/recieve assistance from, all of the physical labor involved in day-to-day survival needs. One of the best things a person could do for themselves if they are really as concerned about disaster as these folks claim to be is work on their mobility. When you can't drive, you ride, and when you can't ride, you run. But if you can't run, you're dependent on vehicles. I don't like being dependent on technology when Jiffy Lube is under ten feet of water from the tsunami last week.

My biggest gripe though, is yes, it does seem like these are a lot of people role-playing grown up versions of what most teenagers are playing. It gives a bad name to people who are legitimately helpful and prepared during crisis, and in all honesty they aren't even doing para-military prepping correctly if they WANTED to be militia. I wouldn't elect an ex cop (especially one like that) as my leader, nor would I think I could be the leader, I'd want someone with a distinguished military record and experience in both combat and logistics to be in charge. To pretend you can do well without following the tried and true methods seems foolhardy. I'm no expert, I'd rather trust someone who knows better than me.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Prepping?....whats that?....It was invented in Dec of 1999.
    I'm a hunter/gatherer, that needs stuff to wander the woods, rivers, lakes......and such.

Yeah, I just happen to grow/gather food, meds, and buy my stuff bulk on sale....and look for good deals (another form of hunting).....and like to know how to fix and build stuff, having the materials around to do it.....Whats the big deal on that?...same stuff MM/MF....GM/GF did and even their ancestors before them....?

Games?......pretty serious game, lot's of 4th down and long situations in life to deal with I guess.
    Things don't always go how you draw them up.

Like anything else, you have to practice if you want to improve.......

I agree with ya Hunter .... when it comes to defense prepping I prefer to avoid .. " A FIGHT AVOIDED IS A FIGHT WON " Thats why im remote ! period ! Plus I like being out here LOLOL ! ! ! !

but if someone trespasses and isnt welcome they may see ......

IMG_1727.jpg
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

It's just the opposite for me. I'm an old man playing like child in the woods. Not a care in the world. It's where I find peace.

Yep looks like hes of the belief of survival of the fattest

To each their own. And yes, I think that for many people, it is just a game, a form of weekend recreation. And if that's how they want to spend their weekend, so be it. As far as the media coverage goes, the news loves a good kook story. Gives "normal" readers a laugh.

And yes, it also gives a bad name to other, less publicity minded "preppers." But as far as I know, there's not a lot you can do to stop it.
    Klytus, I'm bored -- Emperor Ming

Nature is never boring -- various

I just do what I do. I'm not really concerned what others do or why they do it. It's a bit cliche' but I do try to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I agree with you, B on the math and science skills. Somewhere along the line we became a nation that doesn't think math skills are cool. But prepping, math and science aren't mutually exclusive. It's best to do all three.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm like Alaskan Survivalist, old guy playing in the forest and having a ball, I to love the solitude, peace and quiet. There are some survivalists who started here, but quickly got together off line to keep what we do secret. People would frown on our discussions here. The leader of that group is out of shape, but so are a lot of the rest of us. Point is, it's his choice to do what he does. He had that freedom thelast time I looked. He also teaches things besides guns if anyone has noticed. Where his own personal preference for a bug out spot is not mentioned either, wisely. I thought we were all here to learn or help eachother. Some folks may play at it, some of us are deadly serious and have been prepping for many years. Those who are just beginning had better hurry, time is short, like really short. but, that's my opinion only. I have my agenda, everyone else has theirs.

when i was a kid it was a norm to can it was a norm for us (my dads rule keep a full pantry )for hard times have at least a monthes worth of food on the shelves sadly my youngest brother didnt keep this in mind . we live in one of the only 2 passes to the san jaquin valley if las angeles was to have an earthquake swarm my brothers little town would be sold out of food in 6hrs most the people in this town would starve very quickly so some kind of prep should be a must even if its only back up food my only option is a bob or help them starve faster

I find it interesting that a group that considers itself a survivalist group gets labeled as a militia group, which has a very different connotation. From the photos it appears much to small to be a militia and I don't think small children would be useful to a militia.

Also, this was written right after the election and the group was worried about gun bans. Looks like their fears were borne out.