Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Earthquake in Indiana

Default Earthquake in Indiana

Got up this morning to see that you guys had a 5.4 earthquake (Illinois and Indiana). Not an emergency that you normally prepare for in that part of the country is it? I imagine that good general emergency planning (communications plan, bug out/in supplies) would go a long way to help in a situation like that.....and a cool head.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash - Actually, it is something planned for. The largest earthquake in the history of the U.S. occurred in New Madrid, Missouri (7.9, 8.0 and 8.1). Another of that size is over due and would affect a large portion of the Midwest. One of the reasons I have earthquake insurance on my home!!

I slept through the whole thing this morning but it woke my wife up.

Here's a news article on it:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...n_illinoi.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've been thorough many earthquakes here in California. The 1987 Whittier quake - a 5.9, the 1992 Landers - a 7.3, the 1994 Northridge - a 6.7. Not to mention all the small ones. Its been a long time since we've had a big one.

It's sort of funny, really. You guys deal with them almost on a daily basis. Same for most of AK. The ground shaking is just part of life. A 3.0 around here is a BIG event because they are so rare. Still, the potential is there for ANY location to have a sizable event. I've posted this on the forum before but most people don't realize that where they live is susceptible to an earthquake. Here's a map of epicenters for a 35 year period.

http://safezonellc.com/quakes.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I live 30 miles East of Memphis, in the state of Mississippi. I felt the earth quake this morning at around 4:30 a m. It moved my bed a few times

I was at work,and had no idea it had happened,we were to busy to slow down enough to feel anything,LOL other employees called to see if we were ok and it was "What earthquake!?"
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    I was at work,and had no idea it had happened,we were to busy to slow down enough to feel anything,LOL other employees called to see if we were ok and it was "What earthquake!?"

I wish my employees were like you nell, wanna job?

Quote Originally Posted by BraggSurvivor View Post
    I wish my employees were like you nell, wanna job?
    LMAO!!!! If I can be the boss
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cabingirl View Post
    I live 30 miles East of Memphis, in the state of Mississippi. I felt the earth quake this morning at around 4:30 a m. It moved my bed a few times
    What a set-up line........I can resist.....I can resist.

Thought the same thing Hopeak. So far I'm still resisting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

lol. It's a test. I know it is. She's testing our willpower...
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

So far, so good. Everybody is behaving. (won't last he says to himself)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

After shocks hit late this morning at 11:15 Eastern. I felt all three. The first was like, "What? is my chair moving?" followed by "Yeah" and another one. In the 4.6 range. We almost caused water to vibrate!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's sort of funny, really. You guys deal with them almost on a daily basis. Same for most of AK. The ground shaking is just part of life. A 3.0 around here is a BIG event because they are so rare. Still, the potential is there for ANY location to have a sizable event. I've posted this on the forum before but most people don't realize that where they live is susceptible to an earthquake. Here's a map of epicenters for a 35 year period.

Good info. The map sure is an eye opener. Looks like my neck of the woods fairs pretty well (as he looks over his shoulder for signs of tsunami)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Good info. The map sure is an eye opener. Looks like my neck of the woods fairs pretty well (as he looks over his shoulder for signs of tsunami)
    Something really fishy going on with that map, the only single dot showing in Manitoba is where Trax lives........

Quote Originally Posted by BraggSurvivor View Post
    Something really fishy going on with that map, the only single dot showing in Manitoba is where Trax lives........
    Well........he has worked with explosives.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And he does eat beans.

Crash - Actually, it is something planned for. The largest earthquake in the history of the U.S. occurred in New Madrid, Missouri (7.9, 8.0 and 8.1). Another of that size is over due and would affect a large portion of the Midwest. One of the reasons I have earthquake insurance on my home!!

I slept through the whole thing this morning but it woke my wife up.

Here's a news article on it:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...n_illinoi.html
    Yep.. we are overdue for the big one here too in the PNW. So?? go figure, my insurance company changed my policy within the last few weeks... now they won't insure outbuildings for earthquakes and have also increased my deductible when there is one.

Frankly, Mt. Rainier scares me to death. I've seen the data on the pyroclastic flows, tephra and the lahars generated by Mt. Rainier in the past and another event would be truly catastrophic in terms of human life. Seattle and Tacoma would have a big bulls eye on them.

Hmmm,,, Well, here is what I monitor almost on a daily basis..

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
    http://www.prh.noaa.gov/pr/ptwc/
    http://www.syzygyjob.com/

Although the last one is iffy I do take a look at it... There is something to the method he uses to do what he does...

I also monitor USGS's volcano website too since I am surrounded by those up here as well. That monitor comes complete with the volcano cam to watch Mt. St. Helens. Rick, you've been there..
    http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/
    Last edited by Ridge Wolf; 04-18-2008 at 06:42 PM.