Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weather Radios

Default Weather Radios

In the area that I live in (and probably many of you) they really are a must. Damaging weather can come upon us all very quickly. I have one in our bedroom that works great (sometimes too great). My crank radios also have weather bands with alert capabilities. Does anybody use the smaller ones (about the size of a small walkie talkie) when out trekking? Does the length of your stay affect your decision?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Actually, I have four; 3 battery, and 1 crank. Even though I don't really care for the crank as I have to continually keep cranking the stupid thing.
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

I have a set of Midland walkie talkies that have a weather channel on them. On occassion, I have carried just one for the weather information. The problem I've found is you are limited to their range (in my case about 12 miles) so unless your backpacking next to the repeater your SOL. But they are nice in town.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

I will check out the weather beforehand, or use my cell phone (many services will send text messages with the weather report for your area on a regular basis). Plus cell phones generally last about 10 days if you just let it sit there in your pocket, a lot more if you turn it off and only turn it on the check the weather once a day.
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    In the area that I live in (and probably many of you) they really are a must. Damaging weather can come upon us all very quickly. I have one in our bedroom that works great (sometimes too great). My crank radios also have weather bands with alert capabilities. Does anybody use the smaller ones (about the size of a small walkie talkie) when out trekking? Does the length of your stay affect your decision?
    Are you doing research for a new purchase? I'm interested in this as well (Tampa Bay Area). I've looked / researched and tried to come up with the best solution. To date, I've only become more confused with what's available. I've not been able to figure out what's "Cutting Edge" or what will be obsolete tomorrow.

I'm kinda a 'weather geek' and even have a Davis weather station mounted on the roof of my house. I'm still looking for a portable device as many of my "treks" are done on a motorcycle. I'm all to familiar with "weather can come upon us all very quickly."
    gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at. 3. The first key step of a corrupt political agenda where good citizens are disarmed so that a dictatorship may replace a democracy in the future.

It's something that I've been looking at. Getting ready to do some hiking in the Osceola National Forest. I always check the weather, but in the afternoons around Florida "when sea breezes collide!!!"
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's something that I've been looking at. Getting ready to do some hiking in the Osceola National Forest. I always check the weather, but in the afternoons around Florida "when sea breezes collide!!!"
    You get the same storm education as I do. So, looking at it won't get the job done. Get off of ot and go to Walley's World and get a cheap one to keep your family and self prepared and safe. Then you can "look" into it for as long as you desire.

And by the way, Don't get a sun burn.
    [COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]Survival is the art of steeling one's desire to overcome and surpass any situation with nothing more than personal will and fortitude.

GVan, I believe you misunderstand. I have more weather radios than most normal human beings. And I do have two set up for automatic alerts. What I do not have are the small walkie talkie type. I was asking if anybody had experience with them, and does the length of their trek determine usage. I will have one with me before venturing out. The "looking" part is my research into which one I will be getting. But thank you for your concern.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash - See my post #3.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah - looks like the Midlands are pretty good. I want to research a few other brands before I buy....and I agree with your idea of walkie talkies with weather radios. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You'll have to be near the repeater or you won't receive anything.

GVan, I believe you misunderstand. I have more weather radios than most normal human beings. And I do have two set up for automatic alerts. What I do not have are the small walkie talkie type. I was asking if anybody had experience with them, and does the length of their trek determine usage. I will have one with me before venturing out. The "looking" part is my research into which one I will be getting. But thank you for your concern.
    Your right, I did misunderstand. Atleast you did manage to take care of the important reason for survival. See ya.

The area that I'm talking about does have LOS to repeaters so reception shouldn't be a problem.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a clock radio with a "weatherband". It receives a shortwave channel from NOAA in the US. The problem with it is, it's a computer reading a text file. (I have seen this text file separately on the web.) The problem with that is, that text file, even in severe weather, is not updated that often, perhaps every 4-6 hours, so it only gives me a general idea of what's headed my way.

For immediate concerns I still have to look out my window.

Bulrush - NOAA produces broadcasts throughout the day specific to your geographic location. Most weather radios are audio based and will send an audible alarm should a severe weather alert be issued. You can find fairly inexpensive models through Radio Shack of other electronics firms. Anywhere from $25.00 on up.

bulrush - This radio http://www.amazon.com/Midland-WR-300...7868811&sr=8-1 has been sitting on my night stand and waking me up in the middle of the night for a few years. Of all the radios that I have tried, I like this one the best.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm kind of looking for comments on radios that receive weather data that is updated more than once every 4-6 hours. My weather band on my clock radio works fine, the problem is, the data is only updated every 4-6 hours, so it's not very timely when severe weather hits. Example: my local FM station will be saying "heavy rain and flooding on this street and that street" while the weather band on my radio is still saying "possible rain showers today." Like I said, not timely or helpful.

I think mine is a Panasonic digital clock with 2 alarms, AM/FM and weather band.

I guess the real question is, are there different weather bands and are some more timely than others?

Well, actually, there are different frequencies.

The last three are designated Canadian Marine Frequencies

Here's a link to the NOAA Weather web site:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrrcvr.htm

To my knowledge, they are updated 24/365 and certainly as severe weather changes.

bulrush - the weather radios will give you an alert when it happens. Many (maybe most) are programable with S.A.M.E. (Specific Area Message Encoding) technology. Once your radio is programmed it will "go off" as soon as an alert is issued. I'v got mine programmed to "go off" for watches and warnings, but not for weekly or monthly tests. Works great.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ah, remember the good old days before programming when you'd come home on Tuesday evening to a blaring weather radio?