Thread: Production Knife:Puukko

Default Production Knife:Puukko

Hello all I thought since there was so much interest in my new production line for the puukko that I would show some pictures of the prototypes. We are still trying to figure out some design aspects but I think that it could be a great little knife. Videos to come. Let me know your opinions on shape and design preference it would be really helpful in the coming knives. Thanks for looking!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I like them. I know you said they were proto's, but weren't puukko's generally scandi ground? That wood on those handles really pop, too.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I like the one on the right.
    Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

Ranger, these actually are scandi grind but we hit them with a sand blaster and then put on a patina, sadly it makes it so it's difficult to seen any transition with the grind but I think the texture of the blade and it's look is worth the "sacrifice".

I like the blade and the forced patina look that is awesome, the blade profile works for me also. The handles are cool I would not expect to see that work on a 50.00 knife so bonus points there, Since you ask, in my opinion, the handle to blade ratio seems off on all but the one on the right also since you are putting the brass washer at the front a small guard or tapper in the handle might be a good Idea, but once again just my opinion. My favorite is the one on the right if it had a little more swell in the handle or a very small finger guard or groove. I would see it as a 100 + dollar knife but that's just me I have to remember this is a production knife and It's hard for me not to think custom. Also if you are still thinking 50.00 or so dollars I think you could get more and every one in the pic's are worth that hands down.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Thank you for all of the excellent feedback Randalls, I personally would like a little bit of a guard but on a blade so small it kind of looks a bit ridiculous. Sadly, I'm not even an adequate photographer but these knives actually handle very well and are extremely comfy to hold but I will try to put more swell on one today and see how that goes.

Let's see one in hand too!
    ~Rocky Balboa

As requested a brief test video so that you can see how the puukkos do their thing...
    ]
    Last edited by Scottishsmith24; 03-02-2013 at 09:42 AM.

I just remembered that I had one of the puukkos in my bag so I snapped a photo of it this morning. This is the "pattern" layout that we would like to do on all future puukkos. It is green leather, Bolivian rosewood, stainless steel, cherry and then repeat with brass. This one still needs to be cleaned up and have it's edge put on but it gives you a good idea. Tell me what you think! Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Love the Look of All of them. Nice Clean Lines and The Transition Patterns your Uesing Looks Sweet
    To Fail Is to Learn from your Mistakes and Advanced off of that Failure.

Thanks Skinner, these are actually quite fun to make, while repetitive, the unique handle styles gives them that "custom" look and makes it a more creative process.

The knives look really good, but I have to agree with the earlier comment - they do not have a scandi grind on them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash, after checking my knife maker's dictionary I now realize my major brain fart in that it is a high flat grind and not a scandi grind, my mistake.

Know this thread is over a year old, but how are you with these production puukkos?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Ranger, if you check out my recent thread about puukkos that's where it's at now. I ended up redesigning the entire knife and taking it in a new direction.

Oh, the American Puukko. I even commented on that thread. My bad.
    ~Rocky Balboa