Thread: Havesting Fresh Water Clams

Wastelander

Default Havesting Fresh Water Clams

This is the first official 1st 'Tales From The Wasteland'. In it Dogmeat and I go over one of the lesser utilized protein sources in the wild, river clams or fresh water clams. We go over gathering and preparing/cooking them. This is a wild edible that you should never over look.

WARNING: Never collect river clams from polluted water... oh yeah and they really need salt (not like there ocean cousins there)

If you have any comments or questions let me know.

Cool video. Glad you put the disclaimer. Wish I could try them but mine sit in the mercury filled silt.

Thanks for the video! My local rivers contain them and the rivers are clean. I just never knew how to actually find them. I like how you sifted them using the current. The next time I go out, I'm gonna give it a try!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Not to rain on your dinner, but most freshwater clams (mussels) are endangered species...
    Might want to check:
    http://www.fws.gov/midwest/endangered/clams/index.html

Most around my area are the opposite of endangered. Considered a nuisance. Most are an invasive I believe...

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Not to rain on your dinner, but most freshwater clams (mussels) are endangered species...
    Might want to check:
    http://www.fws.gov/midwest/endangered/clams/index.html
    Good looking out! The only one prohibited for me it the Rayed Bean. After spending an hour and a half researching it, I am still not confident that I could positively identify it. The only two factors that I could really find is that they don't grow more than 1.5" and and they have a green tint to their shells. Doesn't narrow it down too much......
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Illegal in Wisconsin.......not sure i would harvest and eat anyway as they eat by filtering food out of the water, along with contaminates.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/regu...usselregs.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've eaten them here in Vermont, just to try them. I found them too chewy (almost like rubber) I would sooner just catch crayfish, which are pretty abundant here, and typically found in the same bodies of water. But this is good info, and would do in a pinch.

I hear fallout music in the background -_^

Many are on the federally endangered list, some here in Indiana are on the state endangered list, some are candidates to be included on the state or federal list, some are considered to be extirpated (hunted to extinction) while others are considered invasive. I shy away from mussels in the wild. Since I don't know the various species by sight I don't want to take the chance of having what could be a very expensive meal.

Here's a list of Indiana mussels and their status.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files...Of_Indiana.pdf
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

In a true survival situation, I don't think endangered species laws will come into my food collection thought process.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Well of course not but they are not in a true survival situation in the vid and that's not what the vid is about. As I said, I don't know one specie from another. Perhaps they do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

As a kid, my cousin and I would dive to the bottom of our river and grab huge ones from the bottom and my dad would grill them. They definitely are an acquired taste, that's for sure.

I have only ever seen one type along the fox river/indian creek basins in Illinois...and there is no way that type is endangered haha. They are everywhere, and easily found in shallow water by following their snail trails through the silt. Generally speaking, there is a lighter trail where they clam has disturbed the fine layer of sediment over the sand.

I always seem to find them on sandy beds, not in muddy or rocky areas. Very abundant where I'm at. Used to eat them as a kid, or use them as cut bait for catfish...but there is better bait out there if you had any options.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com