Thread: That "low beat"

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default That "low beat"

Bill showed me a wooden tube, and I mentioned I could make something out of it, so he said "Here ya go!" I brought it home, sanded it kinda smooth, and painted it with some leftover black I had from the solar melter.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

It's about 9.5" so if I want an inch all the way around, that would be 11.5 or roughly 12".

A bucket lid makes a great pattern at 12.25". Add weight on top so that it, nor the skin underneath can move around.

I forgot to take a picture of this step, so I'm going to explain it best I can. Find the rough circumference of the circle at 1/2" in from the edge. In my case it was 34.5". I chose to have 13 holes, so divide and you end up with roughly 2-5/8" between holes. Using a wood block and a nail set, I pre-punched holes a half inch in, and every 2-5/8 inches apart all the way around. Next I used a "not really good" knife to make the punched holes into slots that run parallel to the edge. I used nails to keep the two skins in line. Hopefully you can see all the stuff that's going on.

I cut thongs a half to three-quarters of an inch wide and however long I could get out of the scrap that was left. Keep in mind that everything is completely soaked and limber with water. It's also pretty tough to hold on to. To make the thong continuous, you need a parallel slot in each end of the thong. One is already in position, so the end of it goes in through the slot in one end of your next thong, then the end of the new one goes through the end slot of the working thong. Maybe the picture will help it make sense.

Using more thongs than necessary, get the heads loosely in position and begin tightening the thongs, taking out slack as you go, working in two directions (clockwise AND counter-clockwise at the same time) pull all the slack to one side of the drum, then tie it off using whatever knot you are familiar with. I used a simple half-hitch.
    Now it is hanging to dry. It could take a few days, or weeks, but it already has a very low tone with two heads. I may or may not cut the hole in the bottom head depending on the pitch and sound when it's dry.
    It's not difficult to make one of these, and hopefully you'll be able to follow along with these basic instructions and pictures and make yourself one!

This is some leftover cow hide from the previous rawhide/leather adventure. The reason we use lashings made from the same hide, is that it should dry and shrink at about the same rate as the heads, all the while making the drum tighter. This way you don't have to go back and tighten them later.
    Can't wait to sit by the campfire and bang out a few dances with it. Enjoy!

Oh.. if anyone has info on earth pigment stains, I am interested to hear. I would like to decorate it with a few "crude" drawings.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Looks great YCC! I have a few rawhide projects in the works (Horse tack)
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Very cool.....got an old set of bongos that I am fixin' on redoing the heads with raw hide........

Ever tried that red clay for color, I know that some of it really stains my coveralls........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nicely done YCC.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

awesome job!!

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

YCC you might enjoy learning about henna to stain things. I'm a henna artist and know lots of henna artists who use their henna to decorate drums. You can get very detailed and precise. And it is a natural pigment. Just do a search for henna drums or mandalas.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

If you have access to a latex producing tree, such as a fig, banyan, rubber tree or strangler fig. You can use that milky latex and mix in pigments from colored clay, charcoal, powdered shell, and plant juices. If you use clay you have to powder it first. You can buy powdered shell as powdered lime in garden shops. It will make a white paint. But, like all latex paints white is your base color.

Pokeberry off of the Poke Salet makes a deep purple, Grapes be used and adding lime can give you reds and blues. mix the juices half and half with the latex. Try what ever berries are in season and experiment.

Also, you can make a brush out of palmetto stems. You have to rett the brush end.

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Nice, you going to make a guitar next?........
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've considered it Sarge. Just gotta work out how I'm going to hack a tree down into shape with a rock

Thanks for the tips 1TS and Batch. I knew about a few of the pigments, but wasn't sure if they needed mordants or any special mixing. I have a huge fig tree, and lots of pokeweed growing around. I'll do some experimenting with a small piece of rawhide and see what I can come up with. Purples sound nice.

Careful on the Poke weed . I stained the rawhide backing on a Hickory bow with it and it was more like Princes " Rasberry Beret "

Last edited by riverjoe; 04-06-2013 at 09:17 PM.