Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baitcasters!!!!!!

My whole life has been about precast snag and after cast impact. And it had nothing to do with fishing. (Big sigh).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

I've been happy with this 2500 Sedona https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-baitcasting-reels/ $59.99, holds plenty of 6# and a decent drag. It's three years old and is still pretty smooth....I hose it off when I can remember to. Not sure what you'll be targeting there, but out here it's barred surf perch, corbina, yellow fin croaker, spot fin croaker to six pounds or so.
    012.jpg

Sorry for bumping....
    Last edited by Xaheni; 11-06-2018 at 04:06 AM.

Nothing wrong with bumping an old thread. At my (and some others) age, it's like a new thread.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I remember I bought my first baitcaster at Walmart in the late 80s. Got it home, put line on it and tied on a half ounce casting plug. Went out in the parking lot, cast it, bird nest from hell. Back inside for 20 minutes to untangle. Repeat, repeat, repeat, man this sucks. I tried again off and on every once in awhile but it was just to frustrating. Then about 20 years ago I was fishing with this guy and he finally got me casting his setup. Now I can cast a eighth ounce spinner bait into a 15 mph headwind with no worries. Its like riding a bike, once you get it, you got it.
    I still prefer spinning gear because it is more versatile. For reels I like the Sedonas and other mid range Shimanos.
    Lately most my fishing has been done sitting in a chair on the river bank with a cane pole and whatever I can kick up for bait.

edit: some facts in this post have been embellished because its about fishing.
    Last edited by chiggersngrits; 10-31-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman296 View Post
    So i was looking online for a cheap baitcaster for my friends and team-mates on my bass team to use because they like to throw around my 200$+ Lew's, and Abu Garcia's. So i came acrossed the Shakespeare Alpha for 15$ on ebay new, and i know it won't be as great as my high-end reel's but is it even worth the 15$ just for a throw around, also it still has to work as a good reel not just a rag doll.hehee

Has anyone used or have a shakespeare Alpha low profile baitcaster?

Thanks,

Ethan
    Here's some budget baitcaster combos. Take a look & find the best one for you!!

Despicable machines created by Satan to torture the souls of fishermen for "exaggerating" how big that fish was.

The perfect machine for creating unbreakable knots.

Yes - I used Shakespeare a lot but the last decade or so I made the switch to Abu Garcia. I just feel that that they offer great quality with their low profile reels (Especially the max series like black, pro and silver max) and I my C3 round reel I have been using for almost two decades. I am not sure if you always need to latest model but you can always check out their official website. Otherwise just check E-bay or Facebook for any secondhand models.