Thread: The Porcelain Throne Arrow head/ First knapping project

Question The Porcelain Throne Arrow head/ First knapping project

DSCF9124.jpgDSCF9125.jpgDSCF9127.jpg

Ok so here I have my first knapping project, and the tools I used. I have a couple of questions that I hope that you guys can help me with.

Keep in mind that this is porcelain that I scavenged from a discarded toilet I found in the side of the road in my neighborhood.

So for starters how to I thin the peice down, like I got the edges just about done, and the size is all how I want it but I have no idea how to thin this peice down to an acctual workable arrowhead thickness?

Secondly how do I make the propper tools. I used this 7 oz tack hammer and that large bolt both as percussion tools. I was wondering if you guys could direct me to places or threads or something on how to make the propper tools, I say make because I frankly dont have the money to buy equipment?

I really hope you guys can help, this has been something I wanna learn for a while and now I am on the propper road. Thank you.

John Apsega
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. - Henry David Thoreau

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You thin the piece by knapping large flakes from opposing sides fo the blank. This will involve preparing platform on one side of the edge, striking and then turning the blank over and preparing a platform on the opposing side and striking. One must "read" the material and strike as needed and no instructions can be given for that process, it is learned tril and error or at the hand of another knapper.

This is a place where U-tube could be of some help.

Tools?

I once knew a knapper that used a big Iron spoon as his primary tool for knapping and a 16 penny nail for most of his flaking.

Many people use copper for both batons and flakers. I had a nice baton made from a copper tube with modeling clay in one end for weight and a big end cap soldered on. Had a big piece of copper wire set in a piece of broomstick for a flaking tool.

Native Americans used various sized pieces of antler as batons and flakers. Very early man used mostly hammerstones.

This is truly one of those activities where it does not make as much difference what you are using as knowing what you are doing.

And remember that much of the real work done in stone age cultures was done with the flakes knocked off the core. Most sites are littered with microtools and discarded flakes that were once thought to be waste and have been found to be the actual item used for doing the work. Those razor blade sized flakes were valued tools. Otzi had several of them tucked away in his "survival belt".
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-22-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Here are the tools I use. It's pretty easy to make your own.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Except for the antler tools you can get everything you see in Crash's picture at a hardware store, Lowes of Home Depot for less than $10.

You will also need a couple of peices of scrap leather for padding, a grinding wheel for an abrasive stone

AND THE SAFETY GLASSES!!!

This guy is as good as any I have seen and is a very good demonstrator. It is a good series. The first clips are building your tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzNIa-U5Nc
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-22-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?