Thread: Medicinal qualities of the black walnut

Default Medicinal qualities of the black walnut

Did you know that the black walnut has medicinal powers? Since I have a walnut tree, I did a search on the medicinal uses of the black walnut and low and behold, it seems it is pretty useful medicin. So now that I know this, I will stop letting the squirrels pack them all away!

Tannins

Tannins are polyphenols produced by many plant species to help ward off attacks from insects and bacteria and to reduce its inflammability. Tannins are also found in organic beverages such as tea and many fruits, such as in many berries, pomegranates, and wine grapes. Tannins are believed to aid the body in warding off bacteria and in resisting many conditions and diseases such as diarrhea, various blood disorders, stress, tumors, ulcers, and even cancer.

Iodine

Iodine, another important ingredient of Organic Black Walnut Hull, is required by almost all living organisms to some degree. Although elemental Iodine is toxic in large amounts, it has been widely used in both traditional and non-traditional (alternative) medicine for its antiseptic properties. For this reason, kelp and other ocean-faring plants are often consumed as rich organic sources of Iodine due to its high concentration in seawater. Iodine is required to produce the thyroid hormone and a deficiency can result in the onset of goiters, chronic fatigue, depression, and possibly mental impairment. To support its routine consumption, common table salt is iodized. Once in the body, Iodine affixes itself to harmful bacteria and reduces their lifespan, so this nutrient is an excellent choice for strengthening the body’s natural immune response.

Other Interesting Info and Benefits of Organic Black Walnut Hull

The ancient Romans referred to the tree as the "Imperial Nut" for its multiple applications in holistic medicine. Other benefits of Organic Black Walnut Hull include:
    •Promotes healthy digestion and assimilation of fats
    •Encourages bowel regularity as a natural laxative
    •Oxygenates the blood for healthier organs
    •Antiseptic healing properties (both internally and externally)
    •Aids in balancing blood sugar and reducing cholesterol
    •Helps flush out toxins and harmful pathogens

When combined, the different substances work together to reduce or discourage the growth of multiple organisms within the digestive tract. Owing to its purgative properties, Organic Black Walnut Hull has been used in many native cultures to help the body reject that which doesn’t belong. For this reason, Organic Black Walnut Hull is one of the many important components of Paratrex®, the amazing health supplement designed to support your immune system and promote optimal internal health. Paratrex® works with your natural defenses to help create an environment hostile to invading organisms

http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...-walnut-hulls/

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/b...ck-walnut-hull

Chemical composition:
    Walnut has around 40 to 45 percent oil. Besides it also consists of Jugulated acid and resin etc. The fruits consist of oxalic acid.

Qualities:
    It overcomes vata, increases kapha and pitta; it is oily, strengthening, and dry and heals wounds. Its lep is used for healing boils, patches and swelling. All parts of a walnut except the oil and walnut kernel are laxative.

Medicinal use:
    Mental weakness: Take 25 to 50 gm of walnut daily to strengthen the brain.

Pain:
    Massage the body with walnut oil and take fomentation with quath made with vata removing
    medicines for relief.

Migraine / Depression:
    Grind walnut kernel with Nirgundi juice and take nasya and apply in eyes for relief.

Eyesight:
    Burn two walnuts and three Harad; grind the bhasma in four black pepper seeds. Apply it in eyes to improve eyesight.

Goitre:
    Drink 40 to 60 gm of its leaf quath and wash the goiter with this quath for healing it.

Dental problems:
    1. Keep its chaal in mouth and chew to clean the teeth.
    2. Brush the teeth with walnut skin bhasma to strengthen the teeth.

Breast milk:
    Grind one gram wheat semolina and ten gram walnut leaves. Mix them with clarified butter made with cow milk and prepare pooris. Eat it for seven days regularly in order to increase breast milk.

Cough:

Roast walnut kernel and chew it for relief. Burn the walnut along with the skin and lick five gram bhasma with honey for relief.

Cholera:
    In case of stiffness and cramps in body due to cold in cholera or when the patient experiences severe cramps, massage the body with walnut oil for relief.

Loose motions:
    Take 20 to 40 gm walnut oil with 250 gm milk daily in the morning for easy bowel movement.

Stomach worms:
    1. Drink 60 t0 80 gm of walnut chaal quath to destroy stomach worms.
    2. Drink 40 to 60 gm walnut leaves quath to kill stomach worms.

Piles:
    1. Apply the walnut oil in the rectum in case the hemorrhoids are caused due to vata. This reduces swelling and overcomes pain.
    2. Drink two to three grams of the walnut skin bhasma with some ant clotting medicines to control bleeding.

Menstrual problems:
    1. In case of obstruction in menstrual bleeding, take 40 to 60 gram of quath made with its skin and mix with two spoons of honey. Take it three to four times daily for relief.
    2. Boil 10 to 20 gm walnut skin in one liter water till it reduces to one-eighth quantity. Drink it twice daily for easy bowel movement.

Discharge of vital humors through urine:
    Grind 50 gm of walnut kernel, 40 gm dry dates and 10 gm Binola kernel. Roast in little bit of clarified butter and mix equal quantity of sugar candy. Take 25 gm daily in the morning to control discharge of vital humors from the body. Do not drink milk over it.

Seminal problems:
    Prepare bhasma with walnut skin and add equal amount of unrefined sugar. Take 10 gm with water for 10 days regularly to stop discharge of semen or vital humors.

Gout:
    Grind 10 to 20 gm fresh walnut kernel and apply on painful area, heat one brick and sprinkle water on it. Wrap it with cloth and give fomentation on painful are to relieve pain. Eat walnut daily to purify blood and overcome gout.

Swelling:
    1. Mix 10 to 40 gm walnut oil in 250 gm cow urine and
    drink to relieve body pain.
    2. In case of pain caused due to vata, grind 10 to 20 gm
    walnut in fermented mustard water and apply the
    lep on painful area for relief.
    For strength in old age:
    Eat 10 gm walnut with equal amount of dry raisin
    daily for benefit.

Eczema:
    Chew five to 10 walnuts without brushing the teeth
    and use this as lep on eczema patches for relief.
    Healing wounds

Grind 10 gm walnut with wax or mustard oil and apply the lep for healing the wounds.

Wounds:
    wash the wounds with quath made with its chaal
    for relief.

Navel wounds:
    1. Grind walnut with water and heat it on flame. Apply
    the lep on the navel wounds and tie bandage over it.
    Give fomentation to heal the wound. The wound heals
    within 10-15 days and cures.
    2. Grind walnut chaal with water and apply lukewarm
    on navel wound for relief.

Poison:
    Eat 20 to 30 gm of walnut to relieve the effect of
    opium poison and other such drugs.

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-a...t-1818950.html
    Last edited by Wildthang; 02-21-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks, Good post. I became aware of Black Walnut as an anti parasitic. A friend has two outside dogs. They took then to the vet for their yearly check up. One dog was clean and the other had some parasites. The doctor asked a series of questions. That pointed to the walnuts. One dog is under a walnut tree the other is not. The Vet mentioned the walnut anti parasitic properties.

I'm copy and pasting this post in my to be researched items. I need to learn more about Black walnut
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

They stain the heck out of your fingers.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Huh when I did a search a few years ago I found nothing on this. I have one in my yard that I wanted to utilize somehow. Instead of making them missiles when I mow.
    I have saved this in my notes now and will go through it more.... Learn something new everyday!!