Thread: Marlin Glenfield 25, 70s era model

Default Marlin Glenfield 25, 70s era model

I recently stumbled across a guy in my area who had two bolt-action .22s for sale. I have a bit of an obsession with that sort of rifle, so I had to take a look. One is a Winchester 47, which I wasn't too interested in, but the other is a Marlin Glenfield 25, which he said was from the 70s. The differences between this and the newer Marlin model-25, as well as the Marlin 925 mostly have to do with the magazine design, but not all parts are interchangeable.

What I haven't been able to determine just through googling is how accurate it is. If it's just an average plinker I don't really want to spend the money for it, despite how cheap it is, as getting a replacement trigger guard and extra magazines is a bit of extra money, as is getting the sights I want. Online a lot of people have said "more accurate than I can shoot" but I got the impression that none of the reviewers were competitive or even highly-experienced. Have any of you guys used one of these before? What was your impression? Would you buy one, even if it was old and had a missing trigger guard + only one mag? All input is appreciated.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Would depend on price....some time you buy something just because you want it.....neither one would be on my radar of wants.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

To get the Marlin up to the standards I want, it would be $50 or so to the original owner, plus $150 on sights and the new trigger guard, and just a small amount extra in my own time and materials spent on modifying (adding weight and length to) the stock.

I know that's not too expensive by some standards, but on my salary that's about my price limit. I would rather buy an AR to be honest, but at today's prices an AR would be all of my gun-money for a year. Already started saving though.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

A rebuild/up grade project is always a labor of love, just because..... these prices seem reasonable.

You know about these guys, right?
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

I did not, this looks like a good resource though, the prices are better than Brownell's. Thanks a bunch!

Yeah, I got some parts for and old H&R revolver, and she's shooting fine now.