Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you a "Survival Expert?"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Well, see, it's been slow lately on fruitcakes to toss.....ya gotta just toss them just a little bit, or they break......
    Well I really miss hearing the stories about the " Green Anaconda................Green anaconda ", I guess we should watch that green anaconda youtube movie again

Noooooooo,..... not the Green Anaconda.....ANYTHING but the Green Anaconda!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Cool

Does it count if you wanna be one!? ... Survival expert just sounds so super cool!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/expert

According to webster, most of us are.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Wow! And you don't even need a "blog" or a "big-azz knife" for slicing tires! ......
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Holy cow, we know it all now Look out Blade

the survivor experts i wanna talk to are the 100 yr olds so i can learn from them ,i used to know a guy that was a bombadeer in ww1(yes ww1) bombers goodness he had lots of stories

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    The only true survival expert we have had on here was Blade, heck he was boasting of challenging all of those guys on TV
    He is a expert BS'r ,I belive

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Wow! And you don't even need a "blog" or a "big-azz knife" for slicing tires! ......
    But..but...then what the heck am I going to do with this blog!? Well crapweasel.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    The only true survival expert we have had on here was Blade, heck he was boasting of challenging all of those guys on TV
    Given the way some of those TV types are, Blade might have been right to a certain extent. They just need to be careful where they park their vehicles......
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by old2531 View Post
    the survivor experts i wanna talk to are the 100 yr olds so i can learn from them ,i used to know a guy that was a bombadeer in ww1(yes ww1) bombers goodness he had lots of stories

My GG-father was born in 1865 and lived until 1967. He was clear minded right up till the end of his days and able to walk around the yard and sit and talk. I realized he was a treasure and I had the chace to talk to him and learn from him until I was 17. It was one of the few wise moves I have made in my life.

Lincoln was president when he was born.

He read about Custer's massacre in the newspaper.

He was 35 when Teddy Rosevelt was presidemt.

He was too old to go to WW1

He had retired by the time WW2 occurred.

He lived to see men go into space.

I remember him plowing his garden with a mule when he was 90. They still hauled water from a spring and heated their house with chunk coal in open fireplaces. GGM was still cooking on a wood cookstove too. They had caved in and gotten electricity around 1960, but just used it for lights and a fridge. They considered the fridge a miricle device.

I did not just get to hear about it, I got to see them still living much as they had lived before our modern convinience oriented society developed.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'll bet he was a real treasure to be around. Glad you had the chance.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Survival Kit...$20.

Survival book...$15.

Kyrat's GGF.....Priceless!....
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by old2531 View Post
    You might be a bit late. They'd be about 112 or 113 now if they were 18 in 1918.

My step-father was in Patton's army in during the North African campaign. Infantry. He'll talk your ear off about the great depression, tell you all about boot camp, and tell you all about coming home and making a family once he was back on US shores, but he won't talk about anything he did over there. He's said some things like "I had two men assigned to me to hand me loaded rifles because I was such a good shot," and "I saw things that I just can't talk about," but that's about the most I've ever gotten out of him. I didn't grow up with him, he married my mom about a decade ago. Now he's 92 and probably in his last year or two of life. I'm just damn grateful folks like him existed back then and continue to step forward today. He's the reason I seldom listen to blowhards and braggards on their conquests of war. The folks who've actually lived it rarely want to share it. ...or at least that's been my experience.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Hve to agree with that...MF didn't have much to say as well.....WWII Army Air Corps
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I'll bet he was a real treasure to be around. Glad you had the chance.
    The most influnce it had on me was the effect it had on my Mom!

She had grown up spending her summers with GGM and GGD. They worked the garden, cooked, dried foods, canned, worked the tobacco fields, milking cows....

The result was a mother, in the 1950s/1960s, that had no hesitation in allowing her 4 year old to use a pocket knife, under supervision, and felt that an 8 year old should have one in his possession 24/7. A 10 year old should have his own Daisey Red Ryder and a shotgun was just another tool in the outdoor kit. When I was 16, and started driving, the announcement of a weekend camping trip or hunting excursion was greeted with "Have fun!" (How many 16 year olds get turned lose for a weekend alone in the woods w/car and rifle? I think they arrest you for that today!)

She also was not hesitant to pack us up and send us kids to the farm for about a month each summer. Of course by then it was to her Dad's farm and not GGD. Same effect, different generation!

Of course my Grandad was born in 1898, and had learned a thing or two from his father. I was 30 when he passed away. At 70 he was still working an acre of garden, milking a cow, raising goats and doing general farm work.

He was the one that took me on my first hunting trip, age 4! We went on our last walk, gun in hand, in 1976.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 03-02-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by sarge47 View Post
    survival kit...$20.

Survival book...$15.

Kyrat's ggf.....priceless!....

agreed !!!
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

to endurance i met him 40 yrs ago my dad was in merchant marines in ww2 and one of my uncles was in korea they wouldnt talk about it either my oldest brother told me not to trust the arvn's in nam if it was4:30 pm firefight or not theyd go home for dinner ,i missed nam by a month i had 3 days left in bootcamp when the marines pulled out of nam
    Last edited by old2531; 03-02-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Honestly I think people know more than they think if they would apply it with some common sense. Some folks are going to have to forget much of the "survival skills" they think they have to survive. Wilderness survival info is driven more by what people want to learn that know nothing than what they need to learn and too many "experts" willing to tap that market. Nobody wants to hear warm clothes eliminates a lot of need to build shelter or 12 ways to build a fire with some kind of gimmick. Where's the skill or prestege in that?

Blog Entries

Cool Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Honestly I think people know more than they think if they would apply it with some common sense. Some folks are going to have to forget much of the "survival skills" they think they have to survive. Wilderness survival info is driven more by what people want to learn that know nothing than what they need to learn and too many "experts" willing to tap that market. Nobody wants to hear warm clothes eliminates a lot of need to build shelter or 12 ways to build a fire with some kind of gimmick. Where's the skill or prestege in that?
    "prestege?" Who pays attention to prestige?...... Who's judging us and by what measure? Why wasn't I told about this sooner? Truth is I could give a fat rat's hind end about doing all of the primitive stuff that expands needed energy. This is why we have all the cool things today I still use matches or a Bar-B-Cue lighter to start a fire with...dang, that just cost me some "prestige" points, didn't it?....
    Last edited by Sarge47; 03-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin