Thread: So I have a quiestion for all y'all. Opinions, views and insightful suggest welcome.

Default So I have a quiestion for all y'all. Opinions, views and insightful suggest welcome.

When y'all are going to be traveling away from your home on an overnight trip or even a two or three day trip do you take your emergency stuff(AKA BOB) with you? Is it a different kit than your regular camping gear? Just curious. I routinely travel to reenactments 4 or 5 times a year or go on a road trip camping two or three times a year where I may end up 4 or 5 hundred miles from the house for a week or so. I tend to work myself into a quandary about wither I should take a long gun or not and wither I should be packing modern gear along with my re-enacting gear. When do you decide to "throw in" a center fire rifle for "just in case" scenarios? What is your trigger for maybe putting some "extra" equipment that you know you should not need if all goes well?

Dave

Modern stuff stays in the vehicles....pretty complete kit.
    Rendezvous stuff get packed as needed in trailer.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I travel out of town for overnighters pretty regularly.....and I cheat. Those that have been to the Jamborees have seen my "camping" truck. It is always loaded. There are enough supplies to support two people for more than a month in the truck. When I travel out of town - just an overnight bag - hotel door alarm, attach light to weapon, a little extra ammo and I'm good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

If I'm away overnight or more, then I make a few additions to an edc, and make sure I have my good walking boots with me. I don't drive, so have to pack light.

Oh yeah, Crash's camping truck is a sight to behold. I think kyr has first dibs on it......
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

one for the truck and one for the boat. NEVER leave home without them

I was a Boy Scout. Always Prepared.

when I went in for hernia surgery, I took a BOB with me. I couldn't take a firearm though.

When I travel, 9 out of 10 times it's by plane. An enhanced EDC is always in my carry on with the exception of a few items which can't be checked on. Those either stay behind or go into a checked bag if I have to have one.

I have a university-legal knife, fire-starter, cordage, headlamp, and first aid in my pack every day at school, even though it's just a 45 minute commute from home by bus. You never know when you'd want it, and it's not that much to have.

My qualifier for how much I bring is how badly things could go at their "reasonable worst". This means I don't plan for nuclear war, but having extra food, a knife, matches, rope, lighting and medical supplies could be useful during a snowstorm, lockdown, or earthquake, as those are the "likely disasters" at the university. If I was going out of state, I'd bring more or less, depending on the location, weather, season, financial climate, etc. Just think "what could potentially save my life or someone else's during a reasonably likely disaster" and bring that, nothing more. Comfort isn't as important, so you can cut a lot of weight and inconvenience by saying "is this a need or a want?"
    Last edited by GreatUsername; 02-18-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I keep camping gear in my van (mainly because I don't have room in my apartment for it. I carry a few items on me usually (phone, knife, etc.). I don't need equipment because I will survive until I die. (If Dizzy Dean didn't say that, he should've.)

True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Thank all of y'all for you thoughtful replies. Do you always carry a rifle in your gear then?

My pickup is always "packed" as well. Except for firearms. I drive my POV into my work place everyday and they have very strict rules against firearms on their property. Don't think I could actually feed two folks for 30 days but I could make a real good stab at a 1000 calories a day for one person for a month. would have to find a source for drinking water after the stored water is gone. I don't carry a month's worth of water with me. A Sawyer's filtration system and some chlorine, yes but not that much actual water. Like Mr. Hunter I keep my modern stuff put up and out of reach, mostly in the parking areas. again thank you for your thoughts and opinions.
    Dave

Delta I am a scout as well and I believe in the motto and try to live it. Of course your interperation of "Be Prepared" and mine may differ some.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

I would pack a rifle, but one time I had all of my guns in this canoe....!.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I have spent an hour hunting/diving/bobbing for my 45 in 5 foot of very muddy river. I did find it!! It took a while. Nowadays when I get in a canoe I tie all my stuff to something or to a float or to me...Well all the important stuff anyway. Lanyards work! Who knew?

It's a shame Rick seems to have bad luck with lanyards... he did the best he could of course, but sometimes your canoe just conspires against you and you can't do anything about it...
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I carry chemical hand warmers, a sleeping bag, a shovel, my arctic bibs and bunny boots in the back of my 4 runner all winter. Never know when you'll need them.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!