Thread: New member

Default New member

Greetings everyone, I'm a newbie from Illinois, but moving to the mountains in Southern Indiana end of March where I found 34 acres up in the mountains will be hunting and fishing, raised beds gardens, chickens, horses and maybe an Angus....I'm a Disabled Combat Veteran from Iraq 2003-2004 and not happy where this once Great Nation is heading which is 1 reason I chose Southern Indiana up in the mountains, the other reason is puts me closer to my kids which are my life.......well just wanted to introduce my self a bit....

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
    Thank you for your service.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome to WSF. Thanks for your service.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There are NO MOUNTAINS in southern Indiana!

The closest thing one could call a moutain is in Eastern Ohio or across the river in eastern KY.

There are a few rolling hills and a bit of woods in Indiana down in the southwest corner, but it is not exactly an unpopulated wilderness.

Why is this posted in General Survival Discussion rather than the intro section?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-18-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Cool Howdy from Sarge!

Welcome aboard and thanks for your service; now, where are those mountains again?.............
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hello and welcome. Thanks for your service.

I see we have some Indiana mountain skeptics. Just to silence those critics.....

A hill must be over 305 meters (or 1000 feet) to be considered a mountain, according to Dr. Scott J. Badham, Dept of Geology and Geophysics at the University of Wyoming.
    (http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/env99/env261.htm) .

The highest point in Indiana is Hoosier Hill at 381 m or 1,250 ft. in Wayne County; Sand Hill is #2 at 1,076 feet (327.96 m) in Noble County; Weed Patch Hill in Brown County is #3 at 1,056 feet (321.87 m); the rest of the list includes:
    4. Knob Hill
    6. Diamond Hill
    7. Bearwallow Hill
    8. Baby Mountain
    9. Elkhorn Hill
    10. Boundary Hill (just making it on the list at 1001 feet)
    So, Indiana does INDEED have mountains, just not very big ones! (They are quite lovely, though, especially Brown County in the fall!)
    Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_Indiana_have_mountains

By the way - Florida has mountains........most of y'all probably call them overpasses though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Now is that 1000 feet from base to summit or 1000 feet above sea level?

If is is simply 1000 feet above sea level then almost any bump in the ground east of Louisville, and the whole world east of Lexingtion would be a mountain! My house is at 1200 feet and we just consider that an irritation on the topography.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

One man's mountain is another man's molehill.

I lived in Indiana for 6 years and I never saw a mountain!

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

who can forget that great Indiana Mountain Man: "Mountain Man Rick?" He would roam the wild mountains of Indiana wearing nothing but a hong hunting the ever elusive Twinkie, that's gotten a lot more rare as of late, BTW!..........
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Welcome from Alaska. Since I am almost at sea level, a thousand foot hill is good enough to call mountain to me.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

welcome and thank you for serving your country im happy to have you here that said mountian`s ie mountians to me mean big hugh ive driven thru indiana where are they hiding cos if their their im moving to them guaranted nobodys knows of them and thats my kind of hiding

Hello from Colorado (we've got mountains, too).
    Klytus, I'm bored -- Emperor Ming

Nature is never boring -- various

He's from Illinois. Unless he's from S. Illinois the only "mountains" they have are overpasses so I can understand his confusion. Having climbed and spent the night on Knob twice I can attest that it is 950 feet tall.....straight up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

welcome aboard sir !
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

So what elevation is required to be classified as a mountain? Just wondering

The very first thing that is required is that you read the posts........Take a look at #6. 305 meters or 1000 feet. We'll work on more pictures for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Don't let us scare you off, Grunt. We're just having fun. Everyone gets a turn now and then. Welcome home and thank you for your service.

Hey no problem, I got big shoulders can handle it....been there done that....I do however know the difference from a hill and a mountain and its in Clark County Indiana, part of the Clark County National forest, my property line borders the County Forest, and if your ears pop on the way up and down I'd say you got some elevation and looking over the side on some of the turns def a mountain...may not be Everest but none the less beautiful heavily wooded mountain top and my house sits on one of the larger peaks, beautiful view....27,000 acres acrosss the street to hunt and 36 miles of horse trails, so will be adding a couple horses in time.....sorry I didn't post in the "INTRO" section, like I said newbie here, just not new....