Thread: My new Damascus knife.

learning to survive

Default My new Damascus knife.

Hey all, I just wanted to show off my newly made knife. Just finished it last night. This one is for a customer. I have two of these to make. The other I will show when it is completed. In addition to the wood sheathe there will be a leather sheathe so it is easier to carry on a belt. The wood that was used is acacia from a hardwood floor. Let me know what you think. IMG_0228.jpgIMG_0229.jpgIMG_0233.jpg
    The anticipation of death is worse than death itself.

Nice work. If I may offer one small bit of advice - when sanding wood with a belt sander use a new belt. If they are worn, the wood tends to burn a bit......which is good to know if you want to achieve that look as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good looking knife.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

learning to survive

Ok,thanks Crash I will keep that in mind.

learning to survive

Ok,thanks Crash I will keep that in mind. Also how did you know I used a belt sander. Just wondering.

Like it. It has class...
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by ibosserman View Post
    Ok,thanks Crash I will keep that in mind. Also how did you know I used a belt sander. Just wondering.
    In your third picture you there appears to be burns that run across the handle. Can't to that by hand.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Nice work. If I may offer one small bit of advice - when sanding wood with a belt sander use a new belt. If they are worn, the wood tends to burn a bit......which is good to know if you want to achieve that look as well.
    I will do the majority of the sanding with the belt, and just live with the burn marks. Then finish it by hand to basically take off the burn marks. Since I am borrowing some else's belt sander, I don't get a choice in belts.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Nice. I love the wooden sheath.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I will do the majority of the sanding with the belt, and just live with the burn marks. Then finish it by hand to basically take off the burn marks. Since I am borrowing some else's belt sander, I don't get a choice in belts.
    If you bought some stabilized burls for $50 to $70 a set you might feel differently.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Very nice looking, good work....Thanks for posting.

Ah, yes, belt sanders, clamp them in a vice (the portable kind) set the "keep running all the time button.... and go for it.

They do a nice job, but can belt sand your hand real fast as well as the wood.....so after carefully sanding down a cherry wood set of scales, completed the finishing, blood stains raise the grain nicely, took it to rendezvous....got into a hawk and knife throw and busted them all to pieces on the first throw.....offered them up to the fire god that evening.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

learning to survive

Thanks all. Crash those burn marks are actually the color of the wood grain. I started with a belt sander then did a lot of had sanding to finish it off. Hunter I used my knees as a vise on this one. And yes it does smart when you get your knuckles in the belt.

Well it's tough to get finger prints from sanded fingers......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Crash. does that apply to belt sanders like the grizzly as well or only the portable power tool?

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    Crash. does that apply to belt sanders like the grizzly as well or only the portable power tool?
    Yep. If you use a fresh belt you are less likely to burn the wood.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks Crash. I wasn't sure if it was a result of having back pressure on things like portable belt sanders causing the friction or a bad belt.

back in the late 70's...early 80's I work in a foundry cleaning up castings as a 'fettler' (damn DIRTY job if there ever was one !! )............ stood at a BIG linishing machine all day..........72" between centers.......4" wide belts. Now THEY could remove stock tout sweet !! We were mostly working stainless and aluminium castings and 60-80 grit belts, but the 'edge' would get knocked off them in minutes on the heavy stuff and we'd change belts about every 10 minutes or so. Comes a point on a belt where it is too worn to 'cut' and you just end up 'burning' the piece...........plus you're cutting into the bosses time/quote for the job.

so change your belts frequently !! You can re-use the old belts for 'polishing' sometimes. I used to take home the worn belts on the little sander/linisher and use for stockmaking and use them from time to time. Eventually figgered it was easier just to buy finer grade belts............up to 800-1000 grit...................cut better, and lasted longer..........doing things 'on the cheap' is ok for a while, but eventually you have to factor in a 'consumables-cost' and charge that to the customer...........
    "use enough gun......"