Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Truck Gun

Congrats on the purchase! Can't go wrong with a good .30 cal in my book.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I have had a few nice 30-30's...they are fun as hell to shoot...my grandfather left me a ton of old 30-30 ammo when I was a teenager so gave me a good excuse to buy a 30-30 at the time...I had 2 or 3 over the years but the first was a really slick pre-safety Win 94 30-30 that was smooth as butter and an awesome rifle, wish I never would have gotten rid of it..I know lots of folks like the Marlin levers but I've always been a Winchester guy..love the look and the way they handle, specially the older ones...but my favorite lever has to be the XTR 9422M in .22 Mag, that is probably my favorite rifle ever, but they are so expensive and hard to get these days although my buddy has one...30-30 is a sweet round in any case, whether it's out of Marlin or a Winnie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't understand selling guns. Isn't the whole idea to amass as many as possible? Isn't someone keeping score?
    I know this one guy with 50 guns and 50 rounds of .22 amo. He only has a couple .22's. I dont know why I find that amusing but it tickles me everytime I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Well ya know, there are canoe guns, truck guns, bug out guns, sunday go to meeting guns, concealed carry guns, long range guns, family heirloom guns, just because guns, father day guns, christmas guns, birthday guns, slug guns, load on sunday shoot all week guns, bit by nostalgia guns, rondyvoo guns, blanket guns, saddle guns, pot hunting guns, shot guns, double guns, slide action guns, bolt action guns, semi auto guns etc.
    Gonna have to show this to my wife, just to clarify why I buy guns.

=))

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Well ya know, there are canoe guns, truck guns, bug out guns, sunday go to meeting guns, concealed carry guns, long range guns, family heirloom guns, just because guns, father day guns, christmas guns, birthday guns, slug guns, load on sunday shoot all week guns, bit by nostalgia guns, rondyvoo guns, blanket guns, saddle guns, pot hunting guns, shot guns, double guns, slide action guns, bolt action guns, semi auto guns etc.
    Ya forgot the 'whats'it guns, .....you seem to be popping up a few on these lately........LOL....Oh yeah, and Ducks Unlimited guns.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    What ever you chose, take it out and shoot it a few times a year, give it a good cleaning, ....

Old oil, cattail fluff, and a little moisture, kinda had the slide gummed up a tad........
    When I lived in Calif., my wife and I owned a vacation cabin in a remote area in the Sierra, at about 6,000' on the western slope. Several people lived up there year 'round. One of the men I knew had an old Win. 94 .30-30 that was always in his pickup, although he very rarely shot it.

Once when we were up there I was at his home having coffee and something came up about "truck guns." He told me that it pays to pay attention to keeping a truck gun clean. A few days previously he was out on an old logging road, saw a deer in the ditch, alive but in bad shape. Looked as if it might have been clipped by a logging truck.

He pulled out his old .30-30, levered a cartridge into the chamber and was going to kill the injured deer. Before pulling the trigger, he noticed something strange at the muzzle. Looked at it and saw that a "dirt dobber" wasp had built a mud nest in the muzzle. It was hard as a brick. If he'd fired, he'd have wrecked the barrel.

So... if you're gonna keep a firearm in your truck, inspect it for more than just dust, etc. Never know what might have crawled into the muzzle and made a nest.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Banned

This truck gun reminds of a story I once heard about the small town I now call home.

Seems that back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's it was common to see a rifle or two in the rear window gun-rack of every truck in town. A lot of ranchers back then who never knew when a predator issue might need resolving. It seems two of these ranchers got into a heated discussion about their varmint guns and marksmanship skills while enjoying a cold one in town. They took this argument outside to main street where they proceeded to set up targets and commence firing until a winner was determined. After about 10 or 15 minutes of competition the sheriff pulled up to investigate the commotion. He walked up to the two fellows with guns and inquired "Is that your spent brass on the street? If it is you had better pick it up or I'll have to cite you for litterin'".

While I doubt the veracity of this account, it seems to capture the essence of those simpler times.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 02-20-2013 at 02:53 PM.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Well I removed the scope that came on that truck gun. I had "see thru" scope mounts, which I hate. Tody I put a Weaver base on the rifle and mounted a TruGlo reflex sight. I am not sure that sight isn't a bit too high. When the snow melts and I can get to the range I'll see how I like it. My other choice is the XS Ghost Ring peep and front sight package. The price is about the same. My old eyes don't do so well with a peep sight now adays but I would not be likely to use it at long range.