Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Gun

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Default Truck Gun

Just picked up a used lever action 30-30 for a truck/UTV gun. I walked into my local gun store wednesday and saw that they had several lever actions in the rifle rack. Ask about a 30-30 and was shown a very nice Win 94. I don't like that rifle as the stock design does not fit me and it kicks me HARD. I stated that I did not want a Model 94 and said I would prefer a Marlin. One of the other salesmen spoke up and said they had a Marlin that had been taken in trade the previous evening. Turned out to be a Marlin Model 33 in very nice shape, stamped with some hardware store name on the bbl. Came with a Tasco 3-9X scope, all for $299! I couldn't pass that up as that was the price range I was looking for. I am thinking of replacing the scope with a reflex sight. I would have said Ghost Ring peep sights but my old eye do not see peep sights well now. Now if the snow wpuld just melt so I can get to the range!

Looking forward to the range report.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Congrats....still can't beat a lever gun.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

For a leaver gun, Ive always been a fan of Marlin.

EB

I need to get me a marlin, had a marlin in 45/70 and in a moment of extreme silliness, like a big goof ball I sold it. Never, never, never again. TBH though I didn't really "need" it cause I have 3 other 45/70s.

I don't understand selling guns. Isn't the whole idea to amass as many as possible? Isn't someone keeping score?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well ya know, there are canoe guns, truck guns, bug out guns, sunday go to meeting guns, concealed carry guns, long range guns, family heirloom guns, just because guns, father day guns, christmas guns, birthday guns, slug guns, load on sunday shoot all week guns, bit by nostalgia guns, rondyvoo guns, blanket guns, saddle guns, pot hunting guns, shot guns, double guns, slide action guns, bolt action guns, semi auto guns etc.

I would prefer you not mention canoe guns to me, thank you very much.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You got it a bit wrong RT - there were canoe guns.....
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't understand selling guns. Isn't the whole idea to amass as many as possible? Isn't someone keeping score?
    A cowboy lay on the ground next to a prickly pear patch, he was naked, covered in spines and suffering terribly.

A guy rode by and saw his perdiciment and asked what had happened.

"Well", the cowboy replied, "I took off all my clothes and rolled around in this prickley pear patch!"

"Why in the world did you do that?" the traveler asked.

"I was a bit drunk and it sounded like a good idea at the time."

Occasionally we think we just can't live without something that turns out to be less than an ideal decision. It leaves to make room for some other wild idea.

But I still wish I had that model 70 Winchester African Model in .458 Win-mag back!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

when it comes to canoe guns and certain people, ahhem I won't mention any names, perhaps a lanyard would be prudent. I still have my first canoe gun, it is a remington 1900 double in 12 ga. Come to think of it though I don't have a canoe.

I've had a few or more less than ideal decisions LOL. I've always said if I live to be a hundred, I'll be one smart dude. tough too taking all those Kicks.
    Last edited by randyt; 02-11-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    when it comes to canoe guns and certain people, ahhem I won't mention any names, perhaps a lanyard would be prudent. I still have my first canoe gun, it is a remington 1900 double in 12 ga. Come to think of it though I don't have a canoe.
    Lost it in a gun accident did ya?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I wonder if they make life jackets for guns.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Well ya know, there are canoe guns, truck guns, bug out guns, sunday go to meeting guns, concealed carry guns, long range guns, family heirloom guns, just because guns, father day guns, christmas guns, birthday guns, slug guns, load on sunday shoot all week guns, bit by nostalgia guns, rondyvoo guns, blanket guns, saddle guns, pot hunting guns, shot guns, double guns, slide action guns, bolt action guns, semi auto guns etc.

LOL, I do think you forgot one....the world famous "woods bumming gun" term use in another forum(what?)....what the heck is that anyway?

Visions do come to mind of a someone walking thru the woods blasting away at anything that moves, doesn't move, and generally being a stop sigh hunter?

To me:....truck gun is a old, don't care if stolen, maybe a little rust..pump 12 ga....but that is just me....didn't say "only truck gun"

After a few weird experiences, I like something in the pocket. So far, I haven't needed any thing for medium or long range.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    LOL, To me:....truck gun is a old, don't care if stolen, maybe a little rust..pump 12 ga....but that is just me....didn't say "only truck gun"
    Same here, to me a "truck gun" is not something you carry to the truck with you, it is a gun that lives in the truck. Nothing I pay $300 for is going to live inthe truck!

The afore mentioned old pump, a Mosin Nagant or some old POS that is ugly but still works and will not break the bank if lost or stolen. My own preferance for a "truck gun" of the long arms variety, will have some power and range. I want something that will penetrate heavy stuff, like engine blocks, and keep a bad situation well down the road from my location, as in road rage incidents. Something that will kill a vehicle wounded deer without shooting it 10 times and freaking out the yuppie in the Prius.

And it is in addition to the CCW firearm and not taking its place.

My Cherokee has two designated firearms, my daily driver has one. I am also of the opinion that the "truck gun", if it is a pistol, should use ther same caliber as the CCW.

Lots of opinion comes into play when making these decisions.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

What ever you chose, take it out and shoot it a few times a year, give it a good cleaning, and (oil) mist it up.....so it (whatever) will work if needed....

Old oil, cattail fluff, and a little moisture, kinda had the slide gummed up a tad........

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    A cowboy lay on the ground next to a prickly pear patch, he was naked, covered in spines and suffering terribly.

A guy rode by and saw his perdiciment and asked what had happened.

"Well", the cowboy replied, "I took off all my clothes and rolled around in this prickley pear patch!"

"Why in the world did you do that?" the traveler asked.

"I was a bit drunk and it sounded like a good idea at the time."

Occasionally we think we just can't live without something that turns out to be less than an ideal decision. It leaves to make room for some other wild idea.

But I still wish I had that model 70 Winchester African Model in .458 Win-mag back!

I sold a gun one time.......I didn't like it at all. I still wish I had it back.

Paul
    I like this little guy

http://pmooreknives.webs.com

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

Hunter63, Yes a $300 gun is expensive for a gun that lives in a truck but will do until I find something cheaper that I like better. Up here in the north woods, I am not so concerned about it being stolen if it is well hidden, as I always lock the truck. It will also be my "loaner" if a friend comes to hunt and doesn't have a gun for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Professor View Post
    Hunter63, Yes a $300 gun is expensive for a gun that lives in a truck but will do until I find something cheaper that I like better. Up here in the north woods, I am not so concerned about it being stolen if it is well hidden, as I always lock the truck. It will also be my "loaner" if a friend comes to hunt and doesn't have a gun for some reason.
    Not disagreeing with you in the least....what you are comfortable with is a good choice, a 30-30 works for me.
    Congrats.