Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MrsSurvival

Banned

Default MrsSurvival

How involved is your spouse or partner in your indeavor to become a survivalist? Is she there right along beside you or does she think your a paranoid nutcase?

Please share.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If I had one......I would tell her what to think about survival. If she did not agree to think that she would be gone..............And I wonder why it is just me and killer Poodle.

When your 60'something you don't need a women who looks good, or thinks. Ya' need a women That can shoot straight, and can stuff, and split wood. If I want pretty, that is what the dog is good for.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 02-26-2008 at 02:53 PM.

A little of both, I suspect. She agrees with the need to be prepared. We've survived a tornado and a house fire so she knows the potential and the consequences of not being prepared. As for wilderness skills, I'm on my own. The Hilton is her idea of roughing it these days.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Well I first have to say I don't consider myself a survivalist, I mean I can survive in the wilds for a period of time depending on what I have and make, could even live out there if I needed, but I don't go into my treks or camping like its a survival situation. Its not, a survival situation is some bad event you have to survive in. So I pack my things and hit the woods for several days to week or more but its not a survival situation. My wife likes the fact I have prepared for different emergencies, so in the end I guess she is supportive but its not a preparation for a SHTF scenerio. My wife seems to be a lot like Ricks, I'm on my own in woods skills, she won't go in the woods because there's dirt and bugs there... ya think, but cares not if I go and supports me refining my skills at home such as practicing fire starting in the fireplace with flint and steel, or other skills.
    Last edited by Beo; 02-26-2008 at 02:59 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Ditto. She understands the potential risks. She does rely on me to do most of the preparation, but is actively involved in knowing what we have and what our plans are.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ask her when she logs in.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Ask her when she logs in.
    I am with you all the way Trax.
    Last edited by nell67; 02-26-2008 at 11:45 PM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

TDW agrees with me that running off to the woods at the first sign if trouble is fool hardy. She leaves the preparation to me but picks up stuff all the time. Her last acquisition was a case of #10 cans of dried beans. She saw them and decided I would approve getting them and did with out asking. She usually is right about things she picks up. She has a BOB but could not tell you what is in it.

As for making a home in the woods? She is willing to go camping but only if there is an out house withing walking distance.

I have found most wifes in this area have their blinders on. Of the 5 guys in the area I talk survival and learning skills from and with. All our wifes have the idea that we will be there to do for them.

If I should go with the first wave. TDW would not know what to do in some areas. I have put a booklet together for her to read at that time, if that happens. It will give her the knowledge to do basic things like get drinking water and make fire. She with that booklet could last some time. She can shoot. She knows how to start the stoves and knows about the solar chargers by watching me. She has been hunting and butchered a deer. She knows the local eatable plants. She picks things up over time but does not put much effort into learning or doing.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

All I can say is: I'm soooo glad I'm divorced. It gives me a much better chance of being able to survive anything that may come along.

My ex-wife's idea of preparation is spending all the money in the bank before inflation goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    All I can say is: I'm soooo glad I'm divorced. It gives me a much better chance of being able to survive anything that may come along.

My ex-wife's idea of preparation is spending all the money in the bank before inflation goes up.
    I bet your ex is just as glad as you are
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Let me get this straight.....my light bulb is a little dim, I know....You'd trade a life time of commitment, love, friendship, and sharing for the freedom to be own your own IF something bad happens?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

No Rick, You got it not quite right. A good Dog gives love, friendship, joy, silliness, care. Is a better hunter than most. Cost less than a women, and is more loyal. But the dog can not cook, or preserve food.

How silly of me.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    No Rick, You got it not quite right. A good Dog gives love, friendship, joy, silliness, care. Is a better hunter than most. Cost less than a women, and is more loyal. But the dog can not cook, or preserve food.
    That, and a cat attacked me today, One of my friends nabours, Wre let it into the house, feed it, Then when i go to eat my egg banjo "MEWWWWWWWWW"
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

What the hey is an egg banjo? I have a great recipe for cat stew if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What the hey is an egg banjo? I have a great recipe for cat stew if you're interested.
    Egg banjo, Deffinition, Two pieces of bread with a egg in the middle, NOTE it is not a egg BANJO untill you finaly say AW F**K when the yoke bursts and drips down your shirt

Find cat, Kill cat, Skin cat, Cut up cat, Cook cat, Eat cat ?
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

That's a fried egg sandwich for cryin' out loud and use a bib. Oh, wipe your chin, the yolks on you..........I kill myself........

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's a fried egg sandwich for cryin' out loud and use a bib. Oh, wipe your chin, the yolks on you..........I kill myself........
    Tis a banjo !!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Mrs. Ridge Wolf

Well, I am a loner... aloof.. always have been... so to me, going out into the woods (deep) is something that I do Mrs. Ridge Wolf goes camping with me but it would be in a campground.. not the kind of camping that I prefer but it makes for harmony. She won't (can't) carry a backpack in the first place due to a medical condition, so that is another reason I am on my own if practicing in the wilderness.

Her idea of preparedness is to be fully stocked up at home and can appreciate the efforts and provisions that I have made in that area. if TSHTF we would not necessarily go out into the wilderness unless we absolutely had to but rather would stay at home, hunker down and care for other family members here (parents, in laws etc.). We are empty nesters now and that makes it easier in that scenario. Daughter of mine is a flight attendant.. I never know where she is in the first place... always have to ask as she calls her mom all the time (stepchild you see). So, I don't worry about the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony uk View Post
    Tis a banjo !!!!!!!!!!!!
    My banjo costs $1500.00.. Please don't get egg on it...