Thread: Fuel strorage

Banned

Default Fuel strorage

Any of you people store fuel? I search out old diesel tanks, fix them up and fill them for future use. I have over 30 tanks of various sizes filled and ready for use. Once filled I add a package of Envro DS to stabilize the diesel and it will store for years.

This tank I picked up for $25.00. I will spend some time replacing O rings and valves if needed and give it a new paint job. I transfer diesel from my tidy tank in my pickup to the new tank. If the fuel is needed I hook up a tank to the loader of my tractor and bring it closer to the house.

Last summer the power was knocked out by a wind storm for 6 days and it sure was nice to know I had all the fuel I needed for my 20Kw to get me through it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Bragg, we kicked this around a bit ago, and Rick posted some official data that did not jive with my personal diesel fuel storage experience. And even tho Rick found info, I never felt complete about the subject of diesel fuel storage life. Maybe Rick can drag that thread over here, and Bragg, what is your understanding about storage life of Diesel fuel.......??????

Banned

Adding a proper stabilizer to prevent oxidation in diesel, I believe it should store for years. Ive been storing diesel for 8 years and have not had a problem. I rotate as required to run my farm equipment but honestly never been concerned about it. Storing gasoline on the other hand is another story. I dont store gasoline.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Good read thanks Rick. I also buy winter blend but now also having to buy a bit of ultra lower sulfer with this new Cummins. I think I made a big mistake buying this new 6.7.......should have kept the 5.9.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Bragg, how do you like your tractor? I am looking for a mid-size 4X4 tractor w/loader.

To your original question I have two 1,000 Gal. tanks, and one 500 gal. tank & about 15 of the 55 Gal. fuel drums. As I drive very little I have been rethinking the diesel fuel truck concept.

I need something that runs on Moose Nuggets. Hey...! maybe a Moose and buggy.

Here's the thread on storing gasoline:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...light=gasoline
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

I have 3 tractors but my newest has a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder turbo. I worked it 110 hours last year and only used about 20 gallons of fuel. Good starter in the cold and runs flawlessly. I'm now looking for a low hour skid steer and to get rid of the 82hp Ford as its larger than I need. Might be a tough sell as its only 2X4.

Banned
    Blog Entries

They tell me that the 4X4 is a must with the loader, Eh. Are not a lot of the tractors made by one company and painted Deere green or New Holland Blue? How many H.P. is the Mitsubishi? For general duty what Horsepower would you suggest?

Banned

Mine is 26hp but would recommended 30 for general use. I wouldnt go much bigger. Mine PTO's a 5" wood chipper just fine with more than enough power. It also handles a 48" bale spear on the 3 pt hitch carrying a 2000lb bale but a couple times Ive had the front end off the ground.

Here is a pic of Emily hauling winter wood:

Last edited by BraggSurvivor; 03-08-2008 at 03:44 PM.

When I was a kid I got to play with match box cars........sure would have liked a tractor!!!!!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sorry I Responded befor looking at the photo. I thought Emily was your pet name of the tractor, I see Emily is the operator.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 03-08-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Banned

I picked up another used tank this morning. This one even has a pump installed. Got it from a landscape contractor who was down sizing.

Keep this up and you're gonna need some more land.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sweet, set-up

Bragg, If you have any contacts, or anybody who knows somebody.......I really would like to get more info on storage life of fuel. I keep being told by fuel distributors that diesel needs to turn over every 9 to 12 months. And that just does not jive with the 52 month old diesel fuel that I am using today.

I keep wondering about storage temperature of diesel. Underground would be much cooler, would it keep better....???

Banned

Ive had diesel stored for 8 years and seems fine. (no varsol smell) I just filled my tractor with old this morning without a problem. All my tanks are above ground but in the shade.

One thing I have done recently is blending my older fuel with new fuel using a hand pump. This new Cummins requires ultra lower sulfer and there is no way I can burn all this fuel with my tractor or gensets.

I think the fuel companies say allot of things......

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Sweet, set-up

Bragg, If you have any contacts, or anybody who knows somebody.......I really would like to get more info on storage life of fuel. I keep being told by fuel distributors that diesel needs to turn over every 9 to 12 months. And that just does not jive with the 52 month old diesel fuel that I am using today.

I keep wondering about storage temperature of diesel. Underground would be much cooler, would it keep better....???
    Sounds like a typical sales technique to get you to buy more fuel. I mean, if you buy a couple hundred gallons at today price and store it for a while, it'll ultimately save you money over paying an elevated price ever few months. Salesmen hate that if they work off commission or get a bonus for how much they sale.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

This is very important info, I know a number of people attempting to do this without knowing that some fuels will degrade.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

For what it's worth, I read on a sailing site yesterday that old diesel could be strained through a 2 micron filter. If the additives haven't degraded, the diesel will pass through. If it has degraded then it will not pass the filter. I have no idea if that is true but thought I'd pass it on. Apparently, this is a hot topic for ocean sailors as well.

Banned
    Blog Entries

2 micron filter is hard to get gas through, One would need a lot of pressure to push diesel through. I forget what size micron filters I use for Diesel, but it is the old Aqua-Con system. Which is a "GO - NO GO" water blocking system.