Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Culture of Survivalists

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    First Strike, I understand you're curiosity, but the problem is that you're not getting the answers you want so now you want to shut the thread down. It doesn't work like that. You have already formed an opinion and you don't like the "counter-opinions" that you're getting, but that's what you're going to get here. This is NOT a "survivalist" site, this is a "Wilderness Survival" site. However, I wouldn't go so far as to call the extremists "crazy," but rather prepared to the max! I don't know enough about them to call them crazy and I don't care for the opinions of writers who call them that either. What if those extremists are right? Did you ever consider that? Remember that in any "true" investigation, you must be totally objective, not subjective. No preconceived ideas, but rather let the results that you find then help you formulate your opinion. Besides, would you really want to risk antagonizing a group of gun-wielding hard core survivalist fanatics? Think about it......
    Please point me to a post where I have expressed dislike at someones counter-opinion on the matter. I have only told people to stay on topic instead of harping on about how I know nothing about survival and am in no position to cast opinion. I have addressed both issues and they do not need to be brought up again.

I know that this is a wilderness survival forum. The reason I brought the question here is because I thought members (as opposed to a survivalist forum) would be levelheaded enough to discuss a topic that they may have experience in. If you believe there is a huge divide between the content here and on a general survivalist forum, then I really don't know how to respond. There is a degree of crossover and I assume a lot of people here have had experience with the survivalism community and the seemingly strange people that can accompany it. I am only just starting out but have already met some weirdos at a bowhunting club I frequent who say some pretty farfetched things; conspiracy theories etc.

Yes, they could be true, as you said. We could all be in the matrix, but that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

I should not have to define extremism. Read the interview I posted, it is explained therein.

My ideas are not preconceived. They are based on observation.
    First Hunt
    http://firsthunt.wordpress.com/
    My blog dedicated to the experiments in self-reliance and minimalism of a first-time survivalist

Actually, this is comical.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by First Hunt View Post
    Please point me to a post where I have expressed dislike at someones counter-opinion on the matter. I have only told people to stay on topic instead of harping on about how I know nothing about survival and am in no position to cast opinion. I have addressed both issues and they do not need to be brought up again.

I know that this is a wilderness survival forum. The reason I brought the question here is because I thought members (as opposed to a survivalist forum) would be levelheaded enough to discuss a topic that they may have experience in. If you believe there is a huge divide between the content here and on a general survivalist forum, then I really don't know how to respond. There is a degree of crossover and I assume a lot of people here have had experience with the survivalism community and the seemingly strange people that can accompany it. I am only just starting out but have already met some weirdos at a bowhunting club I frequent who say some pretty farfetched things; conspiracy theories etc.

Yes, they could be true, as you said. We could all be in the matrix, but that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

I should not have to define extremism. Read the interview I posted, it is explained therein.

Then you need to reformulate your view/opinion if you have a "preconceived notion" that this site is going to fit into your definition of "levelheadedness." You're contradicting yourself and that's why you're going nowhere with this, besides, you can't control the minds and opinions of others, so you need to accept the posts as they come, On topic or not, in your opinion. Can't you see that most here are in disagreement about what you're stating? It's pretty obvious.....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Actually, everyone who has responded to the issue is in agreement with me mate.

The problem is that there a few taking the thread off-topic by getting their knickers in a twist rather than submitting their views on the matter. It's noise versus signals.
    First Hunt
    http://firsthunt.wordpress.com/
    My blog dedicated to the experiments in self-reliance and minimalism of a first-time survivalist

BBBZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz

Know what that is?

Ban button warming up.

Seriously, the procedure for information is flawed.

it cant come soon enough for me, at least blade had an imagination. THATS IT, lets hook the 2 of them up
    Last edited by sticker; 02-13-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Man we sure get some doozies on here

There's no reason to talk about banning. If this thread doesn't interest you then don't post in it. If it doesn't interest anybody then the thread will die a quick death. Pretty simple stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

At least here we don't talk about zombies... that often!
    "Sometimes the best spear is the one you don't throw."
    -Johnny Whitefeather, Self-Proclaimed Native American

"Drop the weapon and put your hands on your head!"
    -What you can usually hear when I try to demonstrate the above quote.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Actually, this is comical.
    It's like talking to a fence post!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Is it just me? I do not consider any of us on here survivalists. To me we are just a bunch of people that love the wilderness, camping, learning bushcraft skills along with a little prepping. I consider most of us on here as wilderness bushcraft people and the word survivalist just doesn't seem to fit us, in fact it almost makes me mad everytime I see it used on here.
    I view survivalists as people who are always looking for an apocalyptic event to prepare for, and who practice military type drills with their family or group on a regular basis. We don't build bunkers, we don't dress like mercenary's, and we don't keep hand grenades and rocket launchers in our bunker.
    So yeah, I really don't think the word survivalist even belongs on this forum. Hell we all lost our grenades and rocket launchers in the varous canoe sinkings and none of us can afford to buy new ones

Quote Originally Posted by First Hunt View Post
    I know that this is a wilderness survival forum. The reason I brought the question here is because I thought members (as opposed to a survivalist forum) would be levelheaded enough to discuss a topic that they may have experience in.

What's there to discuss, though?

If you believe there is a huge divide between the content here and on a general survivalist forum, then I really don't know how to respond. There is a degree of crossover and I assume a lot of people here have had experience with the survivalism community and the seemingly strange people that can accompany it.

Yes, there is crossover (it's a free country) but those withe more "exotic" views don't stick around too long since they don't get much traction around here. They are either banned or they leave.

I am only just starting out but have already met some weirdos at a bowhunting club I frequent who say some pretty farfetched things; conspiracy theories etc.

Yup, there are those in every walk of life. (don't get me started on politics) If you share their POV, you engage. If you don't, you steer clear. We pretty much do.

People believe what they want to believe and as long as they don't impose it on anyone else, discussing it is an exercise in futility; maybe that's why people around here don't see the point of getting into it. JMO.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Has the troll toss begun yet?

If so at what post did it begin?

I need this for my records.

We must be running out of local trolls and have need for imported ones.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ohhhh,..... never mind (said in the classic Emily Litella...voice)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Is it just me? I do not consider any of us on here survivalists. To me we are just a bunch of people that love the wilderness, camping, learning bushcraft skills along with a little prepping. I consider most of us on here as wilderness bushcraft people and the word survivalist just doesn't seem to fit us, in fact it almost makes me mad everytime I see it used on here.
    I view survivalists as people who are always looking for an apocalyptic event to prepare for, and who practice military type drills with their family or group on a regular basis. We don't build bunkers, we don't dress like mercenary's, and we don't keep hand grenades and rocket launchers in our bunker.
    So yeah, I really don't think the word survivalist even belongs on this forum. Hell we all lost our grenades and rocket launchers in the varous canoe sinkings and none of us can afford to buy new ones
    I think all the terms are a bit slippery. I am part of the stuff happens school of thought so I have been trying to get my family prepared for a wider variety and longer duration problems over time. That attitude made us quite comfortable during Hurricane Sandy, so it has caused me to want to be prepared further still.

If somebody wants to call me a survivalist, I guess I'm okay if it is meant to be descriptive rather than derogatory.

I have to agree with those who refuse to be branded, or buy into preconceptions. Remember how the definition of an 'assault weapon' got started in popular media.
    No one paid it much attention until the bans started.
    The term survivalist became a dirty word in the late eighties for the same reason. Allowing someone else to define the word, is tantamount to allowing them to define the argument, in which case you lose. It was actually heartening for me to see so many bright individuals display an understanding of that concept in this thread.

I'll play;

Before I begin, I WILL DEFINE SURVIVALIST as to MY USE. It is in agreement with most here that a survivalist is a loose term to describe anyone who chooses to prepare for any kind of possible situation. From simply a few days without power to a zombie apocalypse. Within that segment would be sub groups defined by what they are planning to prepare for. I guess the easiest and quickest way to sub group them would be simple, intermediate, prepared, and extreme. Simple would classify as a few days without power or some other minor issue. Your home is not endangered and the local government is not breaking down, just maybe slow to respond (ie, Sandy, and the recent Nor' Easter/Blizzard in my area). Intermediate would be situations of longer term disruption or short term displacement from your home. Prepared would be classified as people who are prepared for extended periods of disruption or displacement. Extreme is preparing for the socio-economical breakdown of the US or zombies.

Basically it's grouped by very likely, likely, less likely, and unlikely.

My thoughts on your first post is that you impose the very small subgroup of extreme survivalists to all survivalists. Someone who is well versed in the outdoors and has a solid plan in place is not preparing for the zombie apocalypse.

Your first point is "when... (it) goes to far". Well first, who are you to judge someone else? You said why not use any stationary pole to practice tying knots. Ok, well tell me, how many stationary poles in your home resemble situations for lashes? How many stationary poles are easily accessible to practice basic knots on? Regardless of whether I agree with you on the matter of it being excessive or warranted, what I do know is not everyone is versed in knots and need more specific areas to practice on. I was a Boy Scout and practice many knots in the situation to use them. Prior to that, well, we practiced on poles we set up. Setting something up to improve on a skill is not going to far if you NEED it. Who are you to judge if its too much for someone else? I don't need a knot tying rig, but I would never judge someone else who may need one. If I were camping with friends and they wanted to learn knots, I would set up various situations for them to try different knots.

Your second point has to do with innovation. Since i don't know what life hack is, I can't comment. I will say innovation for the sake of innovation is never a good thing. If its not broke, why fix it? The majority of concepts survival come from situations where they were needed and succeeded. At least in ACTUAL situations, not zombies.

It's potentially dangerous. This point is actual irrelevant. You are guaranteed only 1 thing in life and that's death. I will agree that I could be killed by any number of things that are beyond my control, and that includes things that I may think are within my control. However, you never actually addressed WHY being into survivalism is actually potentially dangerous, all you did is point out other things that can kill me. All I can say to that is that everyone does things everyday to prolong their life. Do you eat, drink fluids, breathe? Yes, then you are actively prolonging your life. Well, if a hurricane rips through my area and reduces access to food and clean water and I want to actively prolong my life then I'm going to prepare. That's all there is to it. Unless you can point out WHY SPECIFIC aspects of being a survivalist is life threatening, its a moot point comparing preparation to uncontrollable things that could kill me. More importantly, if I'm prepared, I may save someone else's life, which I may have in my life because of what I had learned previously. At the very least, I prevented a very long and scary drive to a hospital and was able to treat the person on site. The ENTIRE point of being prepared is to increase your odds of surviving and helping others, if that's your belief, to survive by controlling the only thing you can, yourself. If you feel that to be an absurd statement, you do not understand the concept of survival and being prepared.

It attracts crazy people. Well, all i can say to that is so does politics, religion, sports fans, sports, video games, board games, card games, racing, land ownership, renting, work, play, love, hate, etc, etc, etc, etc... There are crazy people in every walk of life. There are also very knowledgeable, kind, generous, and loving people in those same walks of life. If you go looking for them, you'll find them, so all I can to this point is that it is also moot.

Now, since you never summed up your opinion, I can only assume, based upon your OP, that you feel being a survivalist means that you are eccentric crazy person, who has put their life in danger, and it's pointless; an exercise in futility. Please do not take this as a personal attack. I have based this upon the presentation of information in your first post. Since you offered no conclusion, I could only formulate my own from the info presented. If you feel otherwise, please, elaborate.

I believe preparing for any event that is within your scope of vision and ability to prepare for is never a bad thing, regardless of how severe of an event that is. As long as your actions aren't imposing on another's rights, you are well within yours to live your life as you see fit. Do I understand everyone I come across or even agree with them? Obviously no, but nobody ever said I had to. However, for the most part, the people here are all of a similar mind set. To be able to take care of yourself and loved ones without having to rely on outside assistance for whatever situation you for see, whether it be minor or major. Though the common thought process here is that preparing for a major will take care of most minors.
    Last edited by JPGreco; 02-13-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by JPGreco View Post
    I'll play;

Before I begin, I WILL DEFINE SURVIVALIST as to MY USE. It is in agreement with most here that a survivalist is a loose term to describe anyone who chooses to prepare for any kind of possible situation. From simply a few days without power to a zombie apocalypse. Within that segment would be sub groups defined by what they are planning to prepare for. I guess the easiest and quickest way to sub group them would be simple, intermediate, prepared, and extreme. Simple would classify as a few days without power or some other minor issue. Your home is not endangered and the local government is not breaking down, just maybe slow to respond (ie, Sandy, and the recent Nor' Easter/Blizzard in my area). Intermediate would be situations of longer term disruption or short term displacement from your home. Prepared would be classified as people who are prepared for extended periods of disruption or displacement. Extreme is preparing for the socio-economical breakdown of the US or zombies.

Basically it's grouped by very likely, likely, less likely, and unlikely.

My thoughts on your first post is that you impose the very small subgroup of extreme survivalists to all survivalists. Someone who is well versed in the outdoors and has a solid plan in place is not preparing for the zombie apocalypse.

Your first point is "when... (it) goes to far". Well first, who are you to judge someone else? You said why not use any stationary pole to practice tying knots. Ok, well tell me, how many stationary poles in your home resemble situations for lashes? How many stationary poles are easily accessible to practice basic knots on? Regardless of whether I agree with you on the matter of it being excessive or warranted, what I do know is not everyone is versed in knots and need more specific areas to practice on. I was a Boy Scout and practice many knots in the situation to use them. Prior to that, well, we practiced on poles we set up. Setting something up to improve on a skill is not going to far if you NEED it. Who are you to judge if its too much for someone else? I don't need a knot tying rig, but I would never judge someone else who may need one. If I were camping with friends and they wanted to learn knots, I would set up various situations for them to try different knots.

Your second point has to do with innovation. Since i don't know what life hack is, I can't comment. I will say innovation for the sake of innovation is never a good thing. If its not broke, why fix it? The majority of concepts survival come from situations where they were needed and succeeded. At least in ACTUAL situations, not zombies.

It's potentially dangerous. This point is actual irrelevant. You are guaranteed only 1 thing in life and that's death. I will agree that I could be killed by any number of things that are beyond my control, and that includes things that I may think are within my control. However, you never actually addressed WHY being into survivalism is actually potentially dangerous, all you did is point out other things that can kill me. All I can say to that is that everyone does things everyday to prolong their life. Do you eat, drink fluids, breathe? Yes, then you are actively prolonging your life. Well, if a hurricane rips through my area and reduces access to food and clean water and I want to actively prolong my life then I'm going to prepare. That's all there is to it. Unless you can point out WHY SPECIFIC aspects of being a survivalist is life threatening, its a moot point comparing preparation to uncontrollable things that could kill me. More importantly, if I'm prepared, I may save someone else's life, which I may have in my life because of what I had learned previously. At the very least, I prevented a very long and scary drive to a hospital and was able to treat the person on site. The ENTIRE point of being prepared is to increase your odds of surviving and helping others, if that's your belief, to survive by controlling the only thing you can, yourself. If you feel that to be an absurd statement, you do not understand the concept of survival and being prepared.

It attracts crazy people. Well, all i can say to that is so does politics, religion, sports fans, sports, video games, board games, card games, racing, land ownership, renting, work, play, love, hate, etc, etc, etc, etc... There are crazy people in every walk of life. There are also very knowledgeable, kind, generous, and loving people in those same walks of life. If you go looking for them, you'll find them, so all I can to this point is that it is also moot.

Now, since you never summed up your opinion, I can only assume, based upon your OP, that you feel being a survivalist means that you are eccentric crazy person, who has put their life in danger, and it's pointless; an exercise in futility. Please do not take this as a personal attack. I have based this upon the presentation of information in your first post. Since you offered no conclusion, I could only formulate my own from the info presented. If you feel otherwise, please, elaborate.

I believe preparing for any event that is within your scope of vision and ability to prepare for is never a bad thing, regardless of how severe of an event that is. As long as your actions aren't imposing on another's rights, you are well within yours to live your life as you see fit. Do I understand everyone I come across or even agree with them? Obviously no, but nobody ever said I had to. However, for the most part, the people here are all of a similar mind set. To be able to take care of yourself and loved ones without having to rely on outside assistance for whatever situation you for see, whether it be minor or major. Though the common thought process here is that preparing for a major will take care of most minors.
    Well, that was brief!... But yeah, like JP says!....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Well, that was brief!... But yeah, like JP says!....
    Oh, I'm sorry, do you want me to elaborate?