Thread: A long lasting survival bread recipe

Default A long lasting survival bread recipe

This bread is suppose to last a very long time in storage, and jusdging from the ingredients, it should taste a hell of a lot better than bannock! It is suppose to keep indefinately, now that is a long time

http://thereliantself.blogspot.com/2...val-bread.html

I had to copy that one. Thanks!! If you want bread that lasts here's my Army Hardtack Recipe. I've made this several times. It's pretty good but hard on the teeth.

Army Hardtack Recipe

Ingredients:

• 4 cups flour (perferably whole wheat)
    • 4 teaspoons salt
    • Water (about 2 cups)
    • Pre-heat oven to 375° F
    • Makes about 10 pieces

Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Add just enough water (less than two cups) so that the mixture will stick together, producing a dough that won’t stick to hands, rolling pin or pan. Mix the dough by hand. Roll the dough out, shaping it roughly into a rectangle. Cut into the dough into squares about 3 x 3 inches and ½ inch thick.

After cutting the squares, press a pattern of four rows of four holes into each square, using a nail or other such object. Do not punch through the dough. The appearance you want is similar to that of a modern saltine cracker. Turn each square over and do the same thing to the other side.

Place the squares on an ungreased cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn each piece over and bake for another 30 minutes. The crackers should be slightly brown on both sides.

The fresh crackers are easily broken but as they dry, they harden and assume the consistency of fired brick.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Those look pretty good.......
    One of my favorites camping (or surviving) is ash cakes....
    Can't say how long they last.....never had any left over.....
    http://www.practicalprimitive.com/ashcakes.html
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27