Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnesiun block striker wears down too fast

Mag blocks are pretty handy when it's wet. I've used one several times in wet weather to get damp stuff going. Otherwise it's my Bic or firesteel.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The last time I used a bic I was soaking wet in a coooooold lavuu and my bic wouldn't work. So I grabbed my zippo and lit a fire. In my gear I carry a zippo and a container of fluid.

Looks like the truth is comming out on the Bics.......
    I know in the buchcraft world they are frowned upon, Bic being not 'primitive enough"........

But then you get into:.....What is the best ferro rod/mag block, fire piston, dryer lint, steel wool, cotton balls and PJ, lens, fuel blocks etc, etc.......So just how primitive is that?

Bottom line, when I am are wet and cold....., I really don't care who does what....I have been known to use road flares when something really need to burn.

Primitive is flint(the rock), steel, char-cloth (prefered), and/or tinder bundle.

Each to his own......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

@Rick

There might be a non Chinese fire steel on the market for you to look into. Primus brand. I will post a link if you wish to look into it further.

I bought a couple of these about a year ago at a local shop and on the packaging it was labeled made in Sweden. Are they still produced there? I have no idea.

http://store.primuscamping.com/backp...n-steel-large/

Edit: Now that I think about it more it could have been labeled made in the USA? . It was a while ago so my memory is a wee foggy. I do remember saying to myself "wow something that is not

made in China"
    Last edited by Goodfella; 02-10-2013 at 06:01 PM.

They don't make their own. They purchase them from China and have them rebranded at the factory. I spoke to my salesman at the factory and he sent me a list of knife companies they supply fero rods to. Mora was one (Swedish Firesteels from China. whoda thunk it?). As I said, there was a factory in Sweden several years back but they have since closed up shop.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Way to burst my bubble. I actually thought I had found something not made in China. It is getting ever so hard to buy North American/European made products. I never would have thought Swedish fire-steels would be made in China. Not all that surprising though, my father works in a big three automotive assembly plant and tells me most of the parts are shipped in from China only to be assembled there. Then the final product receives the label Made In Canada.
    Last edited by Goodfella; 02-10-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post

Bottom line, when I am are wet and cold....., I really don't care who does what....I have been known to use road flares when something really need to burn......

Each to his own......
    I Agree. I remember an old post by Alaskan Survivalist stating he carried a propane torch during the winter because he needed to be absolutely sure he could get a fire started .
    For me, waterproof matches and a bic. Ferro rod for when the other two don't work. fatwood, jute twine sometimes. Other times whatever is dry enough to burn.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Not all mag blocks are created equal.

Of course, like many here, I rarely use one. Cotton balls are just so much easier. Shaving magnesium sucks. I am lazy.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Cool

I hope Rick remembers to carry his "sapelu" (machete), dry pieces of beach hibiscus wood and coconut husk material for making fires using the Poynesian Fire Plow technique. His Swains Island outfit won't be complete without these items. Faiaoga