Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geezer survival advice

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Approaching geezerhood has always been a problem from all indications.

http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/...lle-aux-saints
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I have certainly learned to pack lighter lol. The older I get, the more minimalist I become in my backpacking trips. You know, 1 small bottle of the right stuff weighs a lot less then a 6 pack. Yes, I carried a 6 pack of beer in my back pack once!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I have certainly learned to pack lighter lol. The older I get, the more minimalist I become in my backpacking trips. You know, 1 small bottle of the right stuff weighs a lot less then a 6 pack. Yes, I carried a 6 pack of beer in my back pack once!
    So what did ya do the second night?......LOL

Back in the days before the canoe got "tippy", we went on a canoe-in bowhunting trip....no roads, so we packed every thing in a couple of canoes and off we went.
    To keep the brewskis cold, or at least cool....we came up with the bright idea of putting all the beer in a plastic crate, and letting whole whole thing float in a shallow pool, tied off so it didn't get away.

Few day later I was hunting down stream and sure enough here comes the beer, floating in a line, almost submerged.....OMG

So the only thing to do was strip down a ways and go in after them......that water was cold enough to stop your heart.....but thru a herculean effort all was saved...

Seems the crate a tipped a bit....but heck-phooy that water was cold.....

So these days, a flask seems a wise idea......and never keep all your assets in one place.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So what did ya do the second night?......LOL

Back in the days before the canoe got "tippy", we went on a canoe-in bowhunting trip....no roads, so we packed every thing in a couple of canoes and off we went.
    To keep the brewskis cold, or at least cool....we came up with the bright idea of putting all the beer in a plastic crate, and letting whole whole thing float in a shallow pool, tied off so it didn't get away.

Few day later I was hunting down stream and sure enough here comes the beer, floating in a line, almost submerged.....OMG

So the only thing to do was strip down a ways and go in after them......that water was cold enough to stop your heart.....but thru a herculean effort all was saved...

Seems the crate a tipped a bit....but heck-phooy that water was cold.....

So these days, a flask seems a wise idea......and never keep all your assets in one place.....
    Now that's another knee slapper!

I always take the kids along (35 yrs old) .. how old to qualify for geezer hood ?
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

Depends......get it Depends........LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cast-Iron View Post
    Now that's another knee slapper!
    Seemed like a good idea at the time......

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by birdman6660 View Post
    I always take the kids along (35 yrs old) .. how old to qualify for geezer hood ?
    There is no standard age.

Geezerhood begins the first time your kids give you "the look" and say "Dad you just don't understand!"

If you miss that que try to be alert for the point when the wife or daughter refuses to go out the door with you or uses the phrase "You're not wearing that are you?"

At that point you become an apprentance geezer, enter the brotherhood and continue the process of conversion from crazy geezer to old geezer (also known as the old fart era) for the next 50 years until you reach master geezer status.

Master geezer status is achieved when the two terms crazy geezer and old fart are combined and you hear yourself refered to as a "crazy old fart" out loud and in public. This is often achieved in a parking lot in an altercation over a parking spot.

Some people achieve it sooner than others, but we all get there sooner or latter.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-28-2013 at 09:19 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You know you're an old fart geezer because you know WHY that joke is funny!

After the flask is tipped, my assets ain't getting out of the chair.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

ok ok I get it now !,..YAY I'M NOT A GEEZER ( young wife keeps me movin lol ) yes thats her in pic ! .... HAD to ask what depends were ... lmao ! ! !

THE PROSPECTOR ! !

60-70 =old fart 70-80=geeser 80-100 = old coot if u make it to 100 your a respected elder

I whole heartedly agree with the safety points and say slow down and enjoy it, HOWEVER....
    A short while back I had planned to hike the Florida trail from one end to the other, I held off for one more year to get a bit more money and a few more supplies, then had the accident. I do not realistically expect to walk it in one go as I once did these days due to deteriorating health but may perhaps get a few sections done at a pass, so my caveat to previous advice given by me to those young and healthy, old and healthy, or just plain gutsy enough to try it despite the pain is this...GET OUT THERE AND DO IT. By all means Listen to the older wiser heads on safety and don't go alone but GO. Don't sit here ten years from now wishing you had and live it vicariously.

Oh and post pics :-/
    D.O.M.
    Last edited by Durtyoleman; 03-12-2013 at 04:17 AM.

62 this year. Sure I'm getting older, but I can still do the same things I always did. They just don't get done as fast. I still have lots of things I want to do, so I find myself working harder to complete them while I still can. Careful always, as I do most things alone so safety is a must. Thinking things out before jumping in is always a good plan. Work hard, play hard. I'll rest when I'm dead!
    Dave

Face Fear With Knowledge

fear: is defined as an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat

Knowledge: is defined as (i) expertise, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

I recall back about the time I was 50ish, I was complaining to my Doctor about some ache or pain and he told me "Well you are getting older. While you still can do the things you have always done, it will hurt more and take longer." It was like a slap in the face! I realized that I had reached that point where everything was down hill from then on. Each year things hurt more , take longer and I tire more easily. Afternoon naps aren't an option -my eyes close of their own accord, regardless of where i am! I usted to like driving at night - not any more!!! Too likely to fall asleep. (By the way, I have found that 5 Hour Energy really works in keeping me alert on long drives)

Well, I have my annual camp out next week. I'll be 60 this year and the next younger person than me is in her 40s. I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of weeks...........if I survive.

True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.