Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discharged pistol after dropping it in a theater.

Default Discharged pistol after dropping it in a theater.

Something about this story smells wrong. First of all why would you carry a pistol in your pocket? I have never dropped a gun that I can remember, but aren't most guns made to be somewhat safe from accidental discharge upon dropping them?

http://news.yahoo.com/man-accidental...082826134.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Something about this story smells wrong. First of all why would you carry a pistol in your pocket? I have never dropped a gun that I can remember, but aren't most guns made to be somewhat safe from accidental discharge upon dropping them?

http://news.yahoo.com/man-accidental...082826134.html

Not if a moron happens to carry one.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Not if a moron happens to carry one.
    +1 So true!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Sounds like a glock...

But in all honesty, I wouldn't ever carry with a round in the chamber, not unless I had some beefy retention straps on the holster. Safety off is a scary thought too..
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I will not make a comment about "Is that a pistol in your pocket" and accidental discharge.
    I will not make a comment about "Is that a pistol in your pocket" and accidental discharge.

etc.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

IF one were carrying one of the old two shot derringers this senerio is entirely possible.

Those particular guns depend on a half cock notch as their safety and when dropped they do tend to rotate and fall on the hammer. That can snap the sear off and allow the pistol to discharge. The direction of travel for the bullet is invariably into the area of the buttocks!

Dropping on the hammer is the one accident that can over ride all the safety factors built into the 1911.

Any one of several striker fired autopistols can also override the sear and discharge when dropped.

The real moral of this story?

Don't drop your freekin' pistol!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Had one around here a couple of years back....off duty cop, dropped his back up "out of the waist band of his sweat pants" in a mall....Discharged....
    Well DUH.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

we had a guy at a gun show go into the john, he decided to hang his gun on the coat hook before doing his biz. He hung it with the hook thru the trigger guard and BAM recoil made it spin and BAM. Nobody was hurt but sure gave the news some good fodder.

I front pocket carry a S&W 442 in 38 +P. Never had it come out. Been carrying it like that for years. I have a front pocket holster for it that slips in easilly and the exterior has a rubber coating that keeps it in place if I need to draw the weapon out.
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by karatediver View Post
    I front pocket carry a S&W 442 in 38 +P. Never had it come out. Been carrying it like that for years. I have a front pocket holster for it that slips in easilly and the exterior has a rubber coating that keeps it in place if I need to draw the weapon out.
    I have a similar set up for my Taurus TCP, except mine is rear pockeet carry. I use an Uncle Mikes contraption that hold the pistol muzzle end down and appears to be a wallet to onlookers. Unfortunately, it slipped out on a canoe trip. Although it didn't discharge when it hit the water!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    Sounds like a glock...

But in all honesty, I wouldn't ever carry with a round in the chamber, not unless I had some beefy retention straps on the holster. Safety off is a scary thought too..
    I realize that's a joke, but Glocks have been specifically tested for accidental discharges when dropped and the safeties worked. You really have to get something to depress the trigger to get it to discharge.

With a moron, the brand doesn't matter. :-)

Well I have never beleived in carrying a pistol in my pocket. I figure a good quality holster that protects the trigger and hammer is the right way to carry!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Well I have never beleived in carrying a pistol in my pocket. I figure a good quality holster that protects the trigger and hammer is the right way to carry!
    No disagreement. The clown should have had the gun secured properly, but the story of it going off when dropped doesn't sound right. Guns don't go off without the safety being off and the trigger being pulled.

Hard to say whether it came out of a pocket holster or was unsecured. I carry mine unsecured in my front pocket. My pocket holster hit the weapon right at the mag release and about the third time I pulled it out and the magazine dropped the holster went into the trash can.

We had a city cop that carried a derringer in his hip pocket. He slid across the car seat one day and it shot him in the arse. Anyone can make a mistake. Don't be too hard on the guy. Even a good quality holster can cause problems.

http://www.usacarry.com/mans-leather...tal-discharge/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The last thing we need right now is non-gun owners getting the impression that all it takes to make a gun go off is to drop it on the floor.

Geek, I think it's the impression of what happens when you point it at an innocent person and pull the trigger, that gives them pause.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    The last thing we need right now is non-gun owners getting the impression that all it takes to make a gun go off is to drop it on the floor.
    Yes, one should have an infailible machiene to guarentee safety. 5 safties and three keyed locks with the device kept in a safe and never touched.

Meanwhile one person dies every 13 minues in an auro crash. We should outlaw automobiles, espically the large capacity ones.

I hear elephants can be dangerous too.

I lost a friend when he walked to close behind a pissed off horse.

I saw a kid nealy die from a mishap with a can opener once.

Life is dngerous, some things increase that risk and one acquires training and takes the proper measures to limit that danger. It is why they have a class you take before you are issued a CCW.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-07-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Like the OP I am skeptical that the gun went off due to being dropped. I understand screwups, but this guy isn't fessing up to what actually happened. I'll save my sympathy for when the real story emerges.

Guns don't kill people. Bad guys with stolen guns that have nothing to lose except an illegal welfare check do.

The following is not a religious comment:

Lord, make me fast and accurate let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me.

Grant me victory over my foes, and those that wish to do harm to me and mine.

Let NOT my last thought be, if I only had a gun,

and Lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of my own empty brass while showing the bad guy the road to perdition.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.