Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Writing A Survival Scenario

Default Writing A Survival Scenario

Hey.

I'm an amateur writer and I've hit a bit of a bump in a story I'm plotting out. Two characters (a 5'8" female aged 27, 110lbs and malnourished and a 5'10 male aged 29, 154lbs and in well enough health) have to backpack undetected for 212km (131.7m) through Norwegian and Swedish temperate forest (in late May and early June). They're moving at roughly 3km/h (1.8m/h), for 7-10 hours per day, and it should take them 9-12 days to reach their destination.

I've been doing research for what they should pack for the majority of the day, but I'm hoping I could get some suggestions and reviews from people who are knowledgeable in this area.

Their pack so far:
    A dozen safety-pins, a brown tarp, 10 tampons, two small solar-powered flashlights, two lightweight water bottles, a good knife, bandaging, saline solution, a rope, GPS, razors, needles and dental floss, duct tape, rice, noodles, dried banana chips, beef jerky, porridge, string cheese, cocoa powder, cream cheese, and lemonade powder.

There's plenty of lakes where they're walking so they'll have no trouble finding [still] water, but I haven't been able to find a way for them to filter it other than drinking through their clothes or a tampon (which wouldn't remove any diseases), and they have no means to boil it/fire would give away their position. Food is also a big one, but they can't be carrying anything too heavy. They have no idea how to hunt (including snares and fishing) or prepare kills, they don't know which wild plants they can eat, and the only items they have at their packing disposal are things you might find in your average house (with the exception of a few medical supplies, which are given to them by a friend).

Any ideas/feedback?

P.S: Any easy-to-build beds that would let them sleep incognito would be spectacular.

Since your a writer maybe you can write up an introduction for us over in the introduction section. Thanks
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

What research have you done so far? Books, manuals, documentaries, etc.?

Might want to read this for starters:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bushcraft-Outd.../dp/1551051222

Thank you welderguy, I didn't realize there was an introduction forum. Made a quick post.

Benesse, I've watched instructional videos on YouTube channels such as PeakSurvival, read some ten first-hand accounts (I've recently cleared my history, otherwise I would post the site[s]), and read through relevant areas of this website and a few others.

The book you suggested looks very thorough and I'll definitely purchase it for my own needs, but the characters in question would be on the move and not able to hunt, build a fire, or put up a proper shelter. Thank you though, I'll look for it in my local book store.
    Last edited by Alisha; 02-05-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typos

Almost forgot. One of the best, most engrossing books I've read on the subject (fiction but some valuable lessens in there) is
    "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Steven King. You'll learn a lot and you won't be able to put it down, guaranteed.
    http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Who-Loved.../dp/0671042858

I'm a huge fan of King, I'll definitely check around for that as well.

I would also suggest searching this site for ideas. what are the reasons these characters are backpacking incognito ? was this a hurry and bug out no notice setting or a planed bug out ?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Cool +1!

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Almost forgot. One of the best, most engrossing books I've read on the subject (fiction but some valuable lessens in there) is
    "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Steven King. You'll learn a lot and you won't be able to put it down, guaranteed.
    I 2nd that!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

The story revolves around a civil war in a fictional country in the year 2245. The female was captured and interrogated for information regarding military hide-outs, the male was part of the organization but had recently come under scrutiny and was beginning to fear for his life. She promised him military aid if he helped her, and over some three months they plan to escape (they have to speak through notes passed to her by a nurse). It was completely planned, but they're in a hurry as well.

Sorry for the break between my reply, my internet's been acting up lately.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I may have to read this. Thanks

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

What experience does the male protagonist have? My son is now a published writer of the horror, sci-fi genre with a liking for Zombies. He recently sold his book, "Smell of the Dead," a horror story about zombies on Mt. Everest. He also did a novella for a collection of horror stories for a book called "grindhouse." You can find that one on Amazon, his pen name is "Dale Eldon."

For resource material he talked to my kid brother who's summited both Mt. Fuji in Japan, and Mt. Kilimanjaro in South Africa. You should figure out just how much the male protagonist knows, and what experience level he has. Are there dead leaves all around? They could burrow under the leaves to sleep undetected. What about weapons? Gun(s), knife/knives? Anything to make fishing gear out of since they're near a lake? How about snares to trap animals? Just some thoughts.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm a fan of horror and sci-fi so I'll check out his books.

The male protagonist is indoorsy and most of his life revolves around his job. He doesn't know much about the wild, and his internet use is monitored so he wouldn't be able to research. He'd basically know to pack what's listed above, though the better parts of it goes to the credit of his nurse friend. Their walk is in late May and early June, so the leaves from last fall would be pretty packed together (Sweden and Norway have very cold winters). They have one 9mm semi-automatic pistol with three rounds and a sharp kitchen knife.

Snares would work well for when they sleep, but I'm not sure how they'd go about cooking their catch. They can't light fires for fear of being found and I haven't found a way for them to boil water yet (though I was thinking a solar or battery powered water bottle with an inner heater might work), and they have no idea how to skin or gut something.

well the year is 2245. I bet there's a lot of neat inventions that require no fire source!

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Alisha View Post
    I'm a fan of horror and sci-fi so I'll check out his books.

The male protagonist is indoorsy and most of his life revolves around his job. He doesn't know much about the wild, and his internet use is monitored so he wouldn't be able to research. He'd basically know to pack what's listed above, though the better parts of it goes to the credit of his nurse friend. Their walk is in late May and early June, so the leaves from last fall would be pretty packed together (Sweden and Norway have very cold winters). They have one 9mm semi-automatic pistol with three rounds and a sharp kitchen knife.

Snares would work well for when they sleep, but I'm not sure how they'd go about cooking their catch. They can't light fires for fear of being found and I haven't found a way for them to boil water yet (though I was thinking a solar or battery powered water bottle with an inner heater might work), and they have no idea how to skin or gut something.
    They eat what ever they catch raw if fire's a problem. As for the water problem, something that Mykel Hawke taught on a show called "I Shouldn't Be Alive, The Science of Survival:" When near questionable, or even stagnant water, go 12 inches out from the water's edge and dig down 12 inches or more into the sand or soil until water appears, it will be clean water.

Again, for literary credibility, one of your characters is going to have to have survival knowledge and skills, otherwise they'd most likely be dead. They can also use the tarp in conjunction with a fire the way Simon Kenton, the frontiersman friend of Daniel Boone did. When needing to warm himself with a fie while in the wilderness, yet keep it from the sharp eyes of the hostile Native Americans, he did the following. There is a fire lay called the "Dakota Fire Hole," and also one that's just built in a small hole/pit. If your characters were to build these at night or in the early morning fog that would come in off of the lakes in the early morning they would probably not be seen. Kenton would build a very small fire inside a pit about 8 to 12 inches deep, then sit in front of it, wrap a blanket around himself, up to his neck, with the edges of the blanket a bit past the hole so it wouldn't catch fire, keeping both smoke and flames inside the "wikiup-style" shelter. Simple, but highly effective. Fish and small game could also be roasted over the coals and water could be homogenized inside the plastic water bottles. The tarp could also double as a blanket as well as a camouflaged hide-a-way! Brown would be near invisible at night. Just some thoughts.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

well the year is 2245. I bet there's a lot of neat inventions that require no fire source!
    Yep, but it's a matter of getting them. How many people who work and live indoors (in the same building, nonetheless) and only go outside thrice a month own a portable bottle that could bring water to boiling temperature? He would be able to purchase one no doubt, but what he brings back to the building would be checked, and it would raise some eyebrows. I would say he stowed something in the forest ahead of time, but they leave by boat (from a port of the building) and have 16.5 hours of water to cross before they actually reach the woods. I would say they ran to a camping store to purchase some supplies as soon as they were back on solid ground, but security cameras are a problem and they'd want to pass through the town like ghosts.

They eat what ever they catch raw if fire's a problem. As for the water problem, something that Mykel Hawke taught on a show called "I Shouldn't Be Alive, The Science of Survival:" When near questionable, or even stagnant water, go 12 inches out from the water's edge and dig down 12 inches or more into the sand or soil until water appears, it will be clean water.

Again, for literary credibility, one of your characters is going to have to have survival knowledge and skills, otherwise they'd most likely be dead. They can also use the tarp in conjunction with a fire the way Simon Kenton, the frontiersman friend of Daniel Boone did. When needing to warm himself with a fie while in the wilderness, yet keep it from the sharp eyes of the hostile Native Americans, he did the following. There is a fire lay called the "Dakota Fire Hole," and also one that's just built in a small hole/pit. If your characters were to build these at night or in the early morning fog that would come in off of the lakes in the early morning they would probably not be seen. Kenton would build a very small fire inside a pit about 8 to 12 inches deep, then sit in front of it, wrap a blanket around himself, up to his neck, with the edges of the blanket a bit past the hole so it wouldn't catch fire, keeping both smoke and flames inside the "wikiup-style" shelter. Simple, but highly effective. Fish and small game could also be roasted over the coals and water could be homogenized inside the plastic water bottles. The tarp could also double as a blanket as well as a camouflaged hide-a-way! Brown would be near invisible at night. Just some thoughts.
    The water idea is perfect, thank you! I'll check out that show, sounds interesting.

He'd get advice from a coworker before leaving. I'm looking up photos of the Dakota Fire Hole and it looks perfect as well, thank you again! I was thinking they would cover the tarp in dirt and grit before sleeping (to take away the shininess of it) and sleep under or near a bush, an hour or so away from where they had eaten. Being able to light a fire clears away a lot of their problems. Thank you.

eat, and the only items they have at their packing disposal are things you might find in your average house (with the exception of a few medical supplies, which are given to them by a friend)

That will limit them to a culture centric list. What is the art, music, poetry etc in
    2245 for your proposed story? Is it an austeristic world of greys or is it a multifaceted mix?

You've got to paint your world with contrast if the reader is to envision the scene in question.
    how you paint it will necessarily dictate what items are available to be packed.
    A thought for your consideration.

Chemically treat the water. A couple of ounces of bleach should be more than enough for the journey.

Pack some olive oil and honey for the waif.

Build a bed? That's calories and time we ain't got.

Why are we lake lounging for 14-17 hours a day? Spoon up in that tarp only when you can't move, e.g. weather, exhaustion, darkness, threat of being discovered.

Let's get there a little quicker, then we can read a book and watch man crush tv.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Since it's the year 2245 they simply use a UV device to sterilize the water. Sorta like a Steripen? Only they call their's "make water sterile device"......okay, that last part was a joke.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Welcome Alisha! It has always been my opinion that survival is a lot of ingenuity, common sense, and will to survive, with a little knowledge and skills thrown into the mix. A smart resourseful person will figure things out in a survival situation much better than we think. The will to survive will kick a persons brain into overdrive in an intelligent person, and their problem solving skills go into overdrive as well.
    So in the course of your story, you could give the guy some engineering or craftsman knowledge which would help him slowly develop his basic survival skills during their journey, maybe just enough to get them through the ordeal and to their destination, ( if that fits the plot ).
    Engineers and a lot of normal people can be very creative, so it is not unrealistic to think that a smart creative person could adapt and survive, especially where water, wildlife, and wood is abundant.
    A lot of folks on survival forums will tell you that if you don't have the skills you die, but that doesn't always apply to all people. If people were not able to adapt to survival situations and learn from them, none of us would be here right now and we would be extinct like our friends the dinosaurs.
    It could add to the plot of your story to show how they slowly learn to survive, and learn by their mistakes and successes. Their could be some close calls along the way, and small victory's in overcoming obstacles.
    Just remember, they have safety pins which make good fishing hooks, and to catch a fish, all you have to be is smarter than a fish!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 02-06-2013 at 09:10 AM.