Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Snare Issues

Quote Originally Posted by point man View Post
    Or. You may not be grounded. If you got a good pair of boots on you could stick a hot wire right in your mouth and not get shocked. Then you touch a fixture or wall and BAM!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    could be but more often than not you will get a poke. The worst shock I have receives was from a telephone wire. I was in a wet crawl space finagiling a 21 foot piece of 1/2" black iron piper in place and bumped a bare telephone wire. My arm hurt for a week. I have often wondered how a 10000 volt ignition transformer would feel, don't want to find out though.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Just color the white lead black with a felt tip marker......

I do use a meter....or did ...not so much these days...LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I wrap black electrical tape around the white lead to indicate it's hot. I use a meter nearly every day. A fluke 16.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I wrap black electrical tape around the white lead to indicate it's hot. I use a meter nearly every day. A fluke 16.
    Ada boy. Fluke 16 was a good model and my first. I've been running a fluke 902 for a few years now. I need the amp clamp allot

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Just color the white lead black with a felt tip marker......

I do use a meter....or did ...not so much these days...LOL
    A wig wand can take you along ways. As far as telling hot or not.

yup it was a upgrade from my simpson 520. I like the fluke 16 partly for the micro-amp capabilities plus checking voltages and ohms. I have a separate ampmeter, don't like modular equipment in general.

Been wanting to get a wig wand, my father used one often in his job. What is the model number of the wig?

could be but more often than not you will get a poke. The worst shock I have receives was from a telephone wire. I was in a wet crawl space finagiling a 21 foot piece of 1/2" black iron piper in place and bumped a bare telephone wire. My arm hurt for a week. I have often wondered how a 10000 volt ignition transformer would feel, don't want to find out though.
    Yeah! Hell, all the new igniters are 14k now. That'd be a heck of a wallop. No amps though. Amps kills.

Worst shock I ever got was, when I was wiring hot while squatting on ground. I started to loose balance and touched my forehead to a disconnect box. That was stupid. I had to go find a mirror to make sure I wasn't a ghost. Lucky I went home that night

very little oil fired equipment left in our area. Sometimes I think the old style ignition transformers last longer than the new solid state models.

This was my hat light....also will show power,.... present (glows blue) or hot (blue to red)

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Also useful for removing animals out of the snare at night.......
    Now how was that as a link back to the OP.....LOL

yup it was a upgrade from my simpson 520. I like the fluke 16 partly for the micro-amp capabilities plus checking voltages and ohms. I have a separate ampmeter, don't like modular equipment in general.
    I still have my 16 in my van but the 902 is in my service bag. Does everything I need. Amps, volts ac/dc, ohms/continuity, temp, microfarads. I do mostly commercial and any flame rectification in commercial equip is read with dc volts. If I run into milivolts or micro amps I go to van to get another meter. The 902 is also true RMS

LOL, not the wiggy I had in mind, I reckon if it curls there's high voltage afoot.

I can't handle that much voltage any more.......LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I can't handle that much voltage any more.......LOL
    Hair on my neck stands up just thinking about it.

I got a family now! Gotta be serious and no more fooling around

Randy - That should have been 48 VDC. Ring voltage is higher. 66 cycle ring voltage will knock your socks off. We had carrier systems that were much higher and AC but by the time it reached the house they were converted back to 48 VDC. Re your question about bond. From the protector in there is no bond. There is a ground at the protector. Today, it should be a common ground with power to meet NES code but that wasn't always the case. There may be homes out there with separate ground rods and I've even seen ground run to clothes line poles!

I went out on a trouble call and the lady complained every time the phone rang her dog went nuts. This was back when we did grounded ringing. The ground was tied to a metal clothse line pole that was set in concrete. When the phone rang the voltage ran UP the clothes line pole down the metal clothes line, down the metal wire tied to the dogs neck and out the pooches feet. It did flip flops ever time the phone rang. I regrounded the protector and got a call a week later from the same lady. She complained that she could no longer tell when the phone rang when she was outside and asked be to undo whatever I did! I refused of course. The pooch was always a bit shaky after that. :O)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think I may try a fluke 902 at next meter purchase. For some reason I was thinking the 902 was a modular meter like the field piece meter. I see that it's not.

That phone may have rang about the time I bumped it, don't know, it did smart though. We have to bond csst gas lines these days. The sparkys want nothing to do with it so we end up doing it. Not a fan of csst gas lines in general though, give me black iron.

Quote Originally Posted by point man View Post
    Or. You may not be grounded. If you got a good pair of boots on you could stick a hot wire right in your mouth and not get shocked. Then you touch a fixture or wall and BAM!

Had a friend who believed the exact same thing. My brother installed a electrical wire that was designed to keep his dogs from digging under the fence. Wobbly Bob said that you can't get shocked if you had rubber soled boots on. He reached down and grabbed that wire and got lit up.

He stood back and scratched his head and said, "Damn it Jim that ain't supposed to happen!" At which point he bent down and grabbed it again.

now, I can tell you first hand that watching somebody do that and get shocked a second time is dangerous to all that are there. As everyone immediately experienced difficulty breathing, pain in their sides and bellies. Hell, some of us even had tears coming out of our eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Randy - That should have been 48 VDC. Ring voltage is higher. 66 cycle ring voltage will knock your socks off. We had carrier systems that were much higher and AC but by the time it reached the house they were converted back to 48 VDC. Re your question about bond. From the protector in there is no bond. There is a ground at the protector. Today, it should be a common ground with power to meet NES code but that wasn't always the case. There may be homes out there with separate ground rods and I've even seen ground run to clothes line poles!

I went out on a trouble call and the lady complained every time the phone rang her dog went nuts. This was back when we did grounded ringing. The ground was tied to a metal clothse line pole that was set in concrete. When the phone rang the voltage ran UP the clothes line pole down the metal clothes line, down the metal wire tied to the dogs neck and out the pooches feet. It did flip flops ever time the phone rang. I regrounded the protector and got a call a week later from the same lady. She complained that she could no longer tell when the phone rang when she was outside and asked be to undo whatever I did! I refused of course. The pooch was always a bit shaky after that. :O)
    you gotta love customers.... their nuts! We just did a termiticide treatment last Saturday she watched the tech for a few hours, she stepped out and came back. After all the rains and storms she complained that he didn't do under the deck and it wasn't possible to get under it. ( He did while she was away) and now she wants us to redo under the deck even though the termites were at the front door. It appears the smarter they are, the more psychosis they have.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I think I may try a fluke 902 at next meter purchase. For some reason I was thinking the 902 was a modular meter like the field piece meter. I see that it's not.

http://www.wowwigs.com/wig-wand-jon-...renau.htmlThat phone may have rang about the time I bumped it, don't know, it did smart though. We have to bond csst gas lines these days. The sparkys want nothing to do with it so we end up doing it. Not a fan of csst gas lines in general though, give me black iron.
    Yeah, no field piece here. I agree, no go on modular. Most techs around here run the 902. It's been a good investment.