Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Snare Issues

Default Squirrel Snare Issues

Hey all,

So I have been trying to snare some squirrels in my back yard for practice. I set up a squirrel pole and also set snares all along a fence where I see them running. My first problem was my snare wire was not thick enough. So I snared a few but they chewed through it and got away. Now I moved to copper wire but I swear I was watching them the other day and the little punks were running around my snare!

I also tried baiting them with a live trap with no such luck. :/ any help would be appreciated!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

So you are saying the squirrels are smarter than you are?

Sorry, I do not have a solution for that problem.

You could climb up in a tree and act like a nut.

Apparently they have plenty of food available. To live trap them you will need to offer them something they want more that what is available all around them. Try dog food or cat food. Even shell corn might work.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

try using peanut butter, It seems to work every time I set a live trap out?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Peanut butter on a rat spring trap

Tried shelled corn no luck.. will give peanut butter a try!

Also remember that snaring is 'technically' illegal in most states and you might want to consider placing your traps where people won't see or hear the trapped squirrels, and make sure that there are no domestic pets that will get caught in them. I considered snaring on my land but since we have domesticated cats roaming our fields, I decided to use Paiute deadfalls instead, baited with something the cats wouldn't want, and a rock light and low enough that it couldn't seriously hurt them. Of course, this pretty much limits your available game to birds and rats, but its better than getting jailed for killing the neighbor's pet or having someone report you for animal cruelty when they hear a squirrel screaming its head off in a snare. If you're out in the woods away from everyone I don't think its a big deal, just a few things to consider.
    "Sometimes the best spear is the one you don't throw."
    -Johnny Whitefeather, Self-Proclaimed Native American

"Drop the weapon and put your hands on your head!"
    -What you can usually hear when I try to demonstrate the above quote.

Try a shelled pecan, most squirrells cannot resist pecans!

Banned

SUNFLOWER SEEDS
    I ecountered a similar problem a few years back when i was live trapping the bushy-tailed rats. After the nearly $1000 repair bill for the wiring they destroyed on one of my vehicles I declared war on the rodents. Tried corn, peanuts, and pecans, but nothing could compete with whole sunflower seeds (birdfood), Even trapped a dove with sunflower seeds. Nowdays, though, I use an airgun and have dispatched 5 of the critters in the last week. (Compete disclosure: I never had any luck using snares either)

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog123 View Post
    Hey all,

So I have been trying to snare some squirrels in my back yard for practice. I set up a squirrel pole and also set snares all along a fence where I see them running. My first problem was my snare wire was not thick enough. So I snared a few but they chewed through it and got away. Now I moved to copper wire but I swear I was watching them the other day and the little punks were running around my snare!

I also tried baiting them with a live trap with no such luck. :/ any help would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
    Peanut butter on a rat spring trap

I have experimented with leaning pole wire snares on several different mast trees with no success. I believe this was armchair bushcraft, a good idea in theory, but with indifferent or no results in practice. I agree with Mischief. Altho I never used rat traps for squirrel, I had success with them on muskrats before I could afford leg holds. The only problem I can forsee is catching birds. I would try it with the PB on the underside of the trigger. I do not think birds, in general, have a sense of smell, altho it has been proven that vultures do.

You can take squirrels by any means in our state as long as it's in season and you have a valid hunting license. You might want to make certain you are following your state's laws. If a neighbor calls John Brown that could be a pricey little tree rat if you aren't legal.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Nothus View Post
    I have experimented with leaning pole wire snares on several different mast trees with no success. I believe this was armchair bushcraft, a good idea in theory, but with indifferent or no results in practice. I agree with Mischief. Altho I never used rat traps for squirrel, I had success with them on muskrats before I could afford leg holds. The only problem I can forsee is catching birds. I would try it with the PB on the underside of the trigger. I do not think birds, in general, have a sense of smell, altho it has been proven that vultures do.
    I suspect that if your squirrel pole did not work it had nothing to do with armchair bushcraft, but rather improper set up.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Never under estimate squirrels

Great video my main anti squirrel tool is the 22LR.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

When I used to live trap cottontails for the Penna. DNR, I often caught tree rats and I used apples for bait. Nasty tempered little ba---rds are tricky to remove from a live trap without getting bitten!

I used to raise the trap's door just enough that his tail would stick out, shake it and then get him by the tail. stand on the trap, manipulate the door and his tail until you've got him held by the neck. wrap his paws and body in a big rag, so as to tie them up. Then get him the rest of the way out of the trap, and drop him, rag and all into the carrying cage, (or the drown sack, as the case may be). :-)

You could always take the traps by Bill's Radiator Shop and just have him flush 'em out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The video is pretty funny. Determined little buggers. But I like squirrels so I'd only kill them to survive. Is their meat any good?
    I love hiking, backpacking, and camping.
    http://www.adventurestrong.com

Yep. Tastes a little squirrely though.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, what a nutty answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog123 View Post
    Hey all,

Same happened to me till I got a rat trap. Now I'm working on tanning one.