Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Squirrel Snare Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Had a friend who believed the exact same thing. My brother installed a electrical wire that was designed to keep his dogs from digging under the fence. Wobbly Bob said that you can't get shocked if you had rubber soled boots on. He reached down and grabbed that wire and got lit up.

He stood back and scratched his head and said, "Damn it Jim that ain't supposed to happen!" At which point he bent down and grabbed it again.

now, I can tell you first hand that watching somebody do that and get shocked a second time is dangerous to all that are there. As everyone immediately experienced difficulty breathing, pain in their sides and bellies. Hell, some of us even had tears coming out of our eyes.
    I didn't say rubber soled. I said a good pair of boots.

It is true that if you are not grounded you won't get shocked. The rubber soled boots he was wearing probably had a steel shank in the sole that may have reduced the level of insulation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by point man View Post
    I didn't say rubber soled. I said a good pair of boots.

It is true that if you are not grounded you won't get shocked. The rubber soled boots he was wearing probably had a steel shank in the sole that may have reduced the level of insulation

I know you didn't say rubber boots. But, that was what Wobbly Bob thought and said.

There are a lot of variables. Good rubber soles on boots can have a resistance of 20 megaohms. That is going to be pretty good protection on flat dry ground against lower voltages. But, if my friend had damp boots and was standing in a yard where he ended up having the leather of his boot in contact with the earth. Also, the wire was higher voltage than house wiring. voltage in the thousands and amperage in the milliamps.

Hell he could have stepped on a nail or screw and picked it with out knowing. I don't know. I just know it was funny as hell when he did it the second time.

I know I have been shocked on fiberglass ladders, while wearing good boots with rubber soles. Didn't see how I was grounded. But, I got shocked. But, I damn sure didn't do it again.

[QUO TE=Batch;430442]I know you didn't say rubber boots. But, that was what Wobbly Bob thought and said.

There are a lot of variables. Good rubber soles on boots can have a resistance of 20 megaohms. That is going to be pretty good protection on flat dry ground against lower voltages. But, if my friend had damp boots and was standing in a yard where he ended up having the leather of his boot in contact with the earth. Also, the wire was higher voltage than house wiring. voltage in the thousands and amperage in the milliamps.

Hell he could have stepped on a nail or screw and picked it with out knowing. I don't know. I just know it was funny as hell when he did it the second time.

I know I have been shocked on fiberglass ladders, while wearing good boots with rubber soles. Didn't see how I was grounded. But, I got shocked. But, I damn sure didn't do it again.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh got ya.

Well, there are accidents, and there are stupids. You can prevent, but not stop accidents. You can't fix stupid.