Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tatical archery

Well I have shot a bow, and was actually pretty accurate with it, but have never killed a large animal with one.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Would an arrow go thru body armor?
    Aim for the legs!

Arrows sticking out of your legs slow you down a great deal and distract you from the intended purpose. The screaming and yelling also distracts those around the wounded person and cause undue speculation and discussion of the situation.

Body armor has always had a problem stopping arrows. Goes way back, just ask Harold the Great.

Early kelvar was not arrowproof but things have improved. That and they came up with sappy plates, so aviod the cheast area. I am sure an arrow would bounce off of or stick into the surface layers of a kelvar helmet. doubt that it would go through, but it would make a grand decoration, sort of like Custer's "arrow shirt".

It's all about shot placement. You .22 shooters know that! Get your "perfect shot placement" and you will have no problems.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Stopping an arrow from a 45 lb compound bow? Easy... it stops about an inch or two in when you shoot into a tightly packed box of non-corrugated card board. I guess I didn't have sharp tips on when I tried that, but that's still a lot of pressure on the target point... Shooting into flesh would be a different matter all together...
    "Sometimes the best spear is the one you don't throw."
    -Johnny Whitefeather, Self-Proclaimed Native American

"Drop the weapon and put your hands on your head!"
    -What you can usually hear when I try to demonstrate the above quote.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Aim for the legs!

Arrows sticking out of your legs slow you down a great deal and distract you from the intended purpose. The screaming and yelling also distracts those around the wounded person and cause undue speculation and discussion of the situation.

Body armor has always had a problem stopping arrows. Goes way back, just ask Harold the Great.

Early kelvar was not arrowproof but things have improved. That and they came up with sappy plates, so aviod the cheast area. I am sure an arrow would bounce off of or stick into the surface layers of a kelvar helmet. doubt that it would go through, but it would make a grand decoration, sort of like Custer's "arrow shirt".

It's all about shot placement. You .22 shooters know that! Get your "perfect shot placement" and you will have no problems.
    "....if your hit, slap iron to it"....Jose Wales

I'm still trying to wrap my head around "tactical archery".........Almost an oxymoron
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Once long ago, people depended on the bow for defense as well as hunting.

Let the broadheads fly!

Watch too the end where she is shooting on the move. It looks like a deadly ballet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI
    I like her quiver I would hate to have her shooting at me!

I don't know about body armour, but I have personally put an arrow through a car door. It was from a 60lb Martin Dreamcatcher recurve, the arrow was made from 3/8" oak tipped with a 160 grain single bevel tanto tipped Grizzly broadhead. I was about 15 yards from the car. It went through the outer skin, through the rolled down window, and then through the interior panel, protruding about 16" on the inside of the car. This is the setup I use for moose. It will easily pass through both sides of a moose. I shot a doe with this setup a couple of years ago and the impact knocked her right off her feet. The rotational action of the single bevel broadhead split her scapula in half, and continued through and out the other shoulder.

Like GreatUsername said, that depends greatly on the armor. When I was in the military we used two types; flak-jackets and kevlar vests. Flak jackets were designed to protect against flat sharp materials such as shrapnel and knives. I would assume this would be very effective against an arrow. Kevlar was designed to stop a bullet but can be penetrated by blades. I watched an Episode of Penn & Teller where they actually tested different armors against arrows. Of all the armor tested only one stopped the arrow. Surprisingly it was a hardened linen armor known to be used by the ancient Romans. It's amazing with everything we know today that something thousands of years old can still be more effective. Hope this help you with defense selection should that girl mistake you for a target. lol
    New Survival School Open in Northeast Indiana... www.indianasurvival.com WhiteWolf Survival in Fort Wayne, IN has courses starting in march

Tried to share a photo that would have been a great addition to this thread, but the link wouldn't work. I did add the photo to a public album in my profile if anyone wants to look. It's titled Archery Accident.
    Last edited by brad_mccarty1967; 02-08-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Default This is the picture Brad wanted to post

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

OUCH!!! How the He!! did he manage that!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

That pic makes me want to stick with my rifle!
    New Survival School Open in Northeast Indiana... www.indianasurvival.com WhiteWolf Survival in Fort Wayne, IN has courses starting in march

I'm guessin the arrow was possibly too short for his drawlength???? Fell off the rest just before he released it.

thanks, appreciate that.

Makes me feel lucky that my worst survival incident was only chopping my shin skin with an axe... Pretty brutal.
    "Sometimes the best spear is the one you don't throw."
    -Johnny Whitefeather, Self-Proclaimed Native American

"Drop the weapon and put your hands on your head!"
    -What you can usually hear when I try to demonstrate the above quote.

I keep watching that vid because I really like her quiver

I keep thinking about what it would be like to be a human pin cushion........ Ouch! ...........Ouch! ....... Ouch! Ouch! .......... Ouch! ..........Ouch!

To answer everyones question about arrows and body armour, yes, it will penetrate it unless "stab" plates are worn.

The typical body armour that LE uses is 3A rated. They are designed to stop all pistol rounds up to .45acp/.357mag. 41mag and greater as well as rifle rounds will still penetrate. .22LR and Magnums will also penetrate the armour because of the velocity to diameter ratio. The way the armour is designed, it is still penetrable by knives, swords, and arrows unless the stab plates are worn as well. The armour may have pockets in which the plates can be inserted. Most LE don't wear them unless the dept mandated it because of the added weight and further discomfort to an already uncomfortable item to wear.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I have seen many tests of the effects of arrows and bows against armor. Now let me start by saying these tests were done with 120-200# English longbows as were used in the mid 1400's, when maille was the primary defense it was often penetrated by an arrow, maille does not do well with being punctured, much like modern bulet proof armor. However when the standard switched to coats of plates and later plate armor, arrows lost much of thier punching power, however inside 20 yards or so they could still be quite deadly. This is why hourses were a common target.

That picture makes me want to throw up. This is why arrow length is so important.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Sharp 3 sided bodkin points will go through anything except trauma plates from a 45# bow at 25 yards.

Bows do not kill by kenetic energy, but by hemorrhage. The goal is to cut enough important things to bleed out the critter.

thus broad heads with razor edges.

I will suggest however that a bodkin point into the brain or hitting the spine would result in instant incapacitation, and soon if not instant death.

OH, and that girl can shoot some kinda shiny.

My daughter believes that should times ever get grubby that a bow is the best tool for taking game as it is quiet. And while not that fast I would not want her shooting at me.

She always tells me firearms are for sissies, but she knows that since my stroke I cannot do as well with a bow (heck barely at all with a bow) so I use a revolver to hunt and treat it like it was a bow for style of hunting. (and yep we are allowed crossbows here, but I just don't have one to play with and coin is usually spent elsewhere.)

I can cobble up a passable 50poundish flat bow when need demands and make cane arrows and fletch n point n nock em.

I prefer a thumb ring now as I can lock it better than a 3 finger draw.

Again, I don't shoot much anymore and weaker bows than before. (45# is a big deal these days.)

Thad
    Thaddius Bickerton

Really enjoyed the video, thank you. I'm very impressed by the speed and accuracy of her shooting. I've shot a bow before, but never anything like that was even attempted. I can see how here grip style can have some serious advantages.

As for body armor, etc. I remember the show Mythbusters tested ancient armor for arrows. All it was was basically paper armor, tightly packed. Basically it was like a 1" wood chest plate that stopped the arrows to the same degree as metal armor. I'm not sure if a modern broad head would impact the ability to pierce something like that, though I guess its easy to find out if you accidentally put an arrow into a tree.