Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cheek Spreader: A simple DIY latrine for a comfier bathroom experience.

Default The Cheek Spreader: A simple DIY latrine for a comfier bathroom experience.

Over the years, one of the most frequently voiced concerns I've heard from people who don't camp in the backcountry, or who've done so only a few times, is about how to poop comfortably in the woods.

For a lot of people, squatting is either too uncomfortable or just strenuous enough that they can't relax enough to have a satisfying bathroom experience...with the result that they either dread the idea of it so much they won't even try camping unless there's an actual bathroom or thunderbox, or else they do go camping but find that they're bunged up for days, leading to a pretty miserable trip.

So, I've made a little video of a quick, simple, and comfortable latrine setup which I now use on every camping trip. Some tips on wiping materials and their disposal are included.

Hope this helps,
    -Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Simple and brilliant.
    Thanks for the video. PM.

I love it ever since I saw it on the other place. I cant wait to give it a try

Nice video!

Thanks for the video, I know a couple people that need to see this.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Martin, we need to party together. I may try this, but, I pride myself on finding a nice moss covered root hole to sit on.

Cheek spreader, haahaha
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Heh, make SURE the sticks are strong enough to support your weight.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Heh, make SURE the sticks are strong enough to support your weight.
    This is why your cat hole is not too deep.......wouldn't want to get trapped.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Many thanks Pine.. I would have never thunk that one up!! Ill use that method next time for sure!!

EB

Pics or it didn't happen.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good stuff......and a use for the paracord everyone carries.

As fan of tree leaning, for short trem or the one stick cross bar between two trees, never gave this a thought.

...Thanks.
    It is refreashing to see 'been there, done that,.... approach posts.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Has anyone ever considered that our modern toilet practices are the reason that adults in western cultures have lost their ability to do a flat footed squat?

Most children can squat properly, with the entire surface of the foot on the gound for proper balance, but they loose the ability soon after "potty training" in the western world. In the middle east and asia and the primitive cultures, where squat toilets are the norm, the people retain the ability through life.

Being able to do a flat footed squat contributes to skill in the outdoors of every sort, since one does not have to sit on the ground to work, risking a case of the "wet butt" or exposure to diseases, or find a chair to relax.

Europeans never become completely comfortable in the outdoors due to loss of ability to properly squat which causes stress under all wilderness conditions and also contributes to this problem of "how do I crap in the woods?" If we still had he ability to squat that we had as children we would not feel this was a problem to overcome.

I have way too much time on my hands!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-07-2013 at 02:22 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks for the idea that would be nice at a base camp. I normally just squat when I'm on the move.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

I do like that approach. Of course, TP, is going with me no matter what. Even in a post apocalyptic, zombie ridden, alien invasion world there had better by TP or I'm not going.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Has anyone ever considered that our modern toilet practices are the reason that adults in western cultures have lost their ability to do a flat footed squat?
    So right about that.
    I've learned recently that one of the contributing factors is a ratio of tibia/femur bones in the legs which makes it easy for some people to flat-foot squat and stay down for long periods of time while others can't. (for most Asian cultures this is natural because of the way they're built)
    Too much weight is also a no brainer, regardless how flexible you are.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I don't think that's exactly right. I think the habit of sitting on a toilet is a consequence of people having grown accustomed the use of chairs when resting, eating, and doing handiwork. The use of chairs is a practice that is not at all modern, but dates back to antiquity and earliest recorded history, and that would have been when people began losing the necessary joint flexibility and musculature to be comfortable in a flat-footed squat. Seated toilets date back at least to Roman times. These commodes were essentially a wooden box with a hole in the top and a chamber pot inside the box which could be emptied when it was conventient. European castles from the early medieval period also featured seated commodes, so the practice of sitting to relieve oneself is age-old and not at all modern, and to all evidence, it followed the widespread use of chairs and benches for sitting.

In any case, the fact that we don't squat flat-footed around the fire as our ancestors did and as is still practiced in some cultures today, is why most of us find squatting to be uncomfortable. Even in parts of the world where a restroom toilet still consists of a hole in the floor above a sewer, most of the locals find it uncomfortable compared to a seated toilet. So, I think the discomfort of pooping while squatting is a by-product of the widespread use of chairs which has replaced the more natural means of resting.

Hope this helps,
    - Martin
    Last edited by PineMartyn; 02-08-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: typo corrected.
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Man if there was a copperhead under that big log you would be in deeeeeeeep ........................well you know

As far as the snake bite goes, you'd be on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    As far as the snake bite goes, you'd be on your own.
    Awwwww Nessie, so you wouldn't help me out and save my life

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Awwwww Nessie, so you wouldn't help me out and save my life
    I'd do a whole lot of praying for you, bro. God does work in mysterious ways.