Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a straight razor?

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

I have and have used a straight razor (several of them).

I mostly just grow out my epic beard and glory in all the beardiness of it, but I do use the razor from time to time to straighten up the edges if it is a special occasion.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Has anyone ever died from using a straight razor. I know that sounds dumb to ask, but really, there is nothing sharper in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by PineMartyn View Post
    I don't use a straight razor, but I got so fed up with buying those needlessly expensive and wasteful disposable razors and blade packets that I switched to the old style safety razor and double-edged razor blades and soap cakes that my father used when I was a little boy. No more spending a fortune on blade cartridges that just end up in a landfill site shortly after buying them. Double-edge razor blades cost next to nothing, do a better job, and a small cake of shaving soap lasts a year...and what a superior shave!!! For the first time in my life (I'm 48) I look forward to the morning ritual of filling the sink with hot water, wetting my face, warming my razor and shaving brush, mixing up a lather, and getting a close, lasting shave. I'll never go back to disposables again.

Hope this helps,
    - Martin
    The new style barber strait edge is even more awesome for saving money buy a pack of those double blades and u snap em in two then load it into the barber straight edge. I also don't use any lather as it causes irritation, just shower and shave soon as I get out so whiskers are nice and soft. Of course always against the grain. I also heard olive oil can be used to shave... dunno tho.

Goog...He's just this guy greatgoogamooga's Avatar
    East coast. Too Close to DC for my own comfort.

YAY! I feel useful. Finally a topic that I on which can offer serious experience.

First off, if you have never had a real straight razor shave, find a good barber who still does and treat yourself. It is the closest smoothest shave you can have and it it lasts all day. Most barbers today use the disposable straights, like the above poster just mentioned, but some (when allowed) still use an old fashioned blade. they don't offere exactly the same shave, but very close. I think a solid blade offers a closer smoother shave, but I'm a bit biased.

As for using one as a survival tool...as soon as you take it to something other than your face, it is no longer a shaving razor. Likewise, the maintainance on a straight would make it challenging to use in a survival situation. If you had the ability and time to carry all of your stones or lapping film with you, then fine, go for it. But you cannot keep an edge shaving sharp with just a strop, any more than you can keep your knife sharp with just stropping. Eventually, with use, you need to take it to the stones. you need more than just the stones/peper you use with your knife, BTW. I take my straights down to 8000 grit (or the equivalent lapping film) and use a hand held microscope to inspect the bevel as I go along.

I love shaving with my straights. I dont' have time to do it every day, having to be at work by 7 every morning, but on weekends/days off I treat myself to a long relaxing 3 pass shave. I'm learning to make soap right now and working on making shaving soap too. The recipe is harder than washing soap. I have the slipperiness part figured out but not the long lasting lather. If there are any soap makers out there who are willing to give up your secrets, I'm listening.

Goog <---the closest to a shave smiley I could find

ROFL.....What a bunch of wusses... and this is a survival forum??? I've used a straight razor for 25 Years and I can count on my fingers and toes how many times I've used a cartridge. There is a certain bad *** mystique that surrounds the blade but it is just that...mystique. There is a learning curve and maintenance issues... you need to hone them every now and again because at some point the strop just can't restore the blade... but if you want a smooth shave the straight is the only way to go. As far as living off the grid goes... well a straight is a one time purchase (unless of course you shred the blade cutting something other than hair) that will last for years....some have lasted for HUNDREDS of years and still shave.

I started using a straight razor about 35 years ago. I was just getting involved in Fur Trade "Re-enacting/buckskinning" and my thinking was if you want to know what it feels like to live in the 1820s do what they did in the 1820s (Much to my loving wife's distress) So I started changing the way I approached a lot of things in my life. Like personal hygiene. I did exactly what the poster above said to do and found a barber who taught me how to use a razor and how to care for one. At that time you could take your pick at any gun show, swap meet, flea market or knife swap of some of the best razors ever made for $10. I still use my straight edge Wade and Butcher every time I shave. Other than that I still use the Gillette Tract Two I got in my ditty bag in San Diego at RTC in 1974. Mostly if I am traveling "light" and modern that is. I order my soap from an outfit named Caswell-Massey. They have been makin' men's toiletries for several years now (since 1752) and I really like their sandalwood shaving soap. I have been using the same badger hair brush since I got it at Williamsburg, Virgina in 1984 or so. I went through several cheap poorly make ones and one very expensive one before I found the one at a shop there in Colonial Williamsburg. Once you get a rhythm to it shaving does not take any longer than it does with the Tract Two. I have never used an electric razor so I have no feel for how long that takes. However I usually spend a good 15 minutes sometime each week making sure my razor is sharp and clean. I check it before every use and never use it dull.

I tried it once when
    I was younger... I looked like I'd flown through a windshield at about 90mph... Lol,I'd love to learn how though, just don't know where to find all the stuff to do it

After reading the book The Art Of Manliness I decided to try using a double edged safety razor. Wow! Cleaner, closer shave, much more personal satisfaction and way more affordable! The initial cost can be a bit higher, razors usually go for about $40 (I got mine on ebay for like $15), but in the long run its very economical. Plus it puts a few point on your man card, never a bad thing.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I do know ----- Bad Bad Leroy Brown carried one in his shoe (with a 32 gun in his pocket for fun). Oh well, RIP Jim Croce
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Never used a solid straight razor, but I do use disposable straight razors. If I was in the woods and was their for a very long time, shaving would be least of my worries. I would only trim it with my knife for safety reasons (fire any one?) to a suitable beard instead of goldy locks length.

All of my razors are straight. Do they even make crooked ones?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I have no issues having a beard in a SHTF situation.
    I see no reason to be clean shaven while looters.

hmm. Any ladies used a straight razor or safety razor on your legs? I might try it.

All this talk prompted me to post a yard sale find.......kinda funny as I have had a full beard since I was able to grow one.....but was one of those...."This is cool, never seen one, so a couple of bucks seems like a deal"..........Things.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Frost makes several models like that as does Bear & Son, Rough Ryder and Smith & Wesson. Is there a name on that one?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    hmm. Any ladies used a straight razor or safety razor on your legs? I might try it.
    On a wet having board I used to frequent, there were some lady members who posted about doing so. One found an appropriate outfit to wear for a photo demonstration. the most common advice was being EXTRA careful around knees and ankles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Frost makes several models like that as does Bear & Son, Rough Ryder and Smith & Wesson. Is there a name on that one?
    Says "Rebel Edge".........Stainless, China
    Guess they make and sell knives?.....couldn't find this one listed.

Just thought it was cool....and only a couple of bucks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, it is and the price was sure right.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Why would you want to shave ? . Would you have a bald Cat .

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk01 View Post
    Why would you want to shave ? . Would you have a bald Cat .
    Because I'm old enough.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel