Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a straight razor?

Default Who uses a straight razor?

Back in the 1800's, a boy would get a straight razor when he started growing whiskers, and in a lot of cases, the razor would be used until he died. The only thing he needed was a cake of soap, and a leather razor strap, and in a lot of cases an old belt or peice of leather was used for the strap.
    So along came a guy named King Camp Gillette, and he showed Americans why they needed to buy something on a regular basis, that they got along just fine without before. This paved the way for American laziness, and their wilingness to spend money on things they could really get along without!
    So, do any of you guys use a straight razor? I have actually been thinking about getting one and learning how to use it. Heaven knows in a SHTF event, we wouldn't be able to afford those $20 packs of aloe loaded 3 blade wonders of technology now would we?

By the way, I do consider this a primitive skill since almost nobody uses straight razors anymore!

in a shtf event I think shaving would be pretty low on my list. A friend of mine used a straight razor for a few yrs and gave it up, nicks and cuts were his reason

Straight razor? No. Knife? I have before. I even have a video of part of it.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by sticker View Post
    in a shtf event I think shaving would be pretty low on my list. A friend of mine used a straight razor for a few yrs and gave it up, nicks and cuts were his reason
    Agreed. I also doubt that we'll ever have societal collapse to the point that modern razors become permanently unavailable. A couple months, maybe even a few years, sure, but I'm fine to be scruffy short-term, as I'll probably have bigger issues to deal with. My other big issue with straight-razors is that I am still a bit of a novice with knife-sharpening, and even with a leather strap, I can only make blades that slice paper, never sharp enough to shave thus far. I'd be very afraid to apply that dull of a blade to my face.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I've used a straight razor in my past and really need to get back to using one. I still have all the gear for maintaining a straight razor. A couple different razor straps and a stone along wit several razors.

I was looking at a bunch of old family photos, tintypes and such. A lot of those old boys sported a beard.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You might be surprised what the women will con you into once they start making their preferences known.

Removing the facial hair has been one of their prime requirements right back to ancient Egypt, when they were still using flint blades for razors.

Many people never shaved themselves and depended on someone else to do so. Rich folk had valets that did the shaving, middle class men went to the barber daily and lower class folk just made do with a wife doing the job (hope she was not ticked off at you) and often only shaved once a week.

Washington only required members of the Colonial Army to shave once weekly.

The Greeks and Romans had straight razors, although they were not like those of today. Very wide and made from copper, bronze or iron.

I have one in my gear that is dated back to 1680 and a couple from the mid 1800s. Excellent steel in those old boys.

I have one old nicked and chipped specimin that I stuck into a piece of antler and made into a patch knife. Best patch knife I own.

Anyone have a left handed straight razor? I am not going to shave with one until I find a left handed model!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 02-04-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I always heard that in a SHTF event, the comforting things in life start to mean more. And Kyrat is right about the women, the last time I grew my beard out the girls didn't like it at all. So when times get bad, you guys can look like Grizzly Adams and listening to complaints about your scruffy beard, and I will be a happy clean shaven survivor

I shaved with a straight for a few years I also bought, restored and sold straight razors. For a while I shaved with a different straight every day, it was fun. Too many people started buying and selling them so it wasn't profitable anymore so I stopped and got lazy and have been just shaving with safety razors and double edge blades.

Double edge blades give a great shave.. I buy 100 double edge blades for about $10 use each side once so that is about .05 a shave I shave ever other day so that's less then $10 a year. I buy pucks of soap from Walgreens for a few bucks and they last a couple of months.

No straight razors for me. Ever seen Sweeny Todd? No sir, count me out.......

In the SHTF situtation, I will look like one of them Duck Dynasty fellers!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Default Why I use a safety razor and double-edged razor blades

I don't use a straight razor, but I got so fed up with buying those needlessly expensive and wasteful disposable razors and blade packets that I switched to the old style safety razor and double-edged razor blades and soap cakes that my father used when I was a little boy. No more spending a fortune on blade cartridges that just end up in a landfill site shortly after buying them. Double-edge razor blades cost next to nothing, do a better job, and a small cake of shaving soap lasts a year...and what a superior shave!!! For the first time in my life (I'm 48) I look forward to the morning ritual of filling the sink with hot water, wetting my face, warming my razor and shaving brush, mixing up a lather, and getting a close, lasting shave. I'll never go back to disposables again.

Hope this helps,
    - Martin
    Last edited by PineMartyn; 02-04-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added title
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Electric here. I appreciate the nostalgia of a straight razor, but I am afraid I would cut myself with one.

But you guys haven't seen my tactical razor either. It is so cool you will want to shave with it just to admire it. It shaves, peels carrots, cuts paracord, and has a gut hook on it too! It also makes a good ghetto weapon that the bangers respect. It also has matches, fish hooks, and a compass in the handle as well!

there's a fella that visits the forum now and then that makes razors, goes by the name of Bruce.

here's my sideburn razor that I use for a patch knife now and then. Found it in a box of junk and added a porcupine chewed antler and a tad bit of poured in place block tin for a bolster.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by randyt; 02-05-2013 at 07:41 AM.

If you're lazy, like me, and use the safety razors and canned soap, put your aerosol can in a sink of hot water while you shower and the foam will be warm like barber shop foam. Nothing like good hot foam on a wet beard. Shave against the grain. Smooth as a baby's bottom. Been doing that for 30+ years.

Blog Entries

Well, if any of you guys still want a shave after SHTF. I can help. My Dad used a cutthroat Razor his whole life, and when he cut up his arm in an accident, taught me how to shave him (he didn't trust my Mum!) I'm sure after a few few nicks, a styptic pencil and several squares of tissue, I'll get the knack back
    Now.... who's first?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Jackie the ripper??????

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Jackie the ripper??????
    Hey, hey, steady on! you only rip if the blade isn't sharp enough
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Well, if any of you guys still want a shave after SHTF. I can help. My Dad used a cutthroat Razor his whole life, and when he cut up his arm in an accident, taught me how to shave him (he didn't trust my Mum!) I'm sure after a few few nicks, a styptic pencil and several squares of tissue, I'll get the knack back
    Now.... who's first?
    Don't worry Winnie I have several suture kits, you just go on and get after it.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

This is the set up I used when I was heavy into civil war reenactments, Except for the mug thats the one I use at home .
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    SUNP0013 by welderguy2013, on Flickr
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Straight razors do make wonderful patch knives.........Why else would I need one.
    I started growing my beard the day I was born, but keep it on the inside till i was about 14 or so.....and has been and will always be on the outside ever since.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27