Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who uses a straight razor?

I've never owned a proper straight before. Bought one of those shavette things made by dovo which you can use with a double edge blades snapped in half but wasn't really that impressed. Currently using a merkur 38 every two days and its been fantastic. Absolutely no razor burn and the blades are cheap, around 15 pence each.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

I can see learning to use and maintain a straight razor. My pet peeve is that it is very difficult now (at least where I live) to find regular double edge razor blades and the holders for them. The double edge razor blades are compact, easy to pack for travelling, and cheap. You can also sharpen them inside a ceramic coffee cup and reuse them. Unfortunately, most US drugstores only seem to stock expensive, complicated razor cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiaoga View Post
    I can see learning to use and maintain a straight razor. My pet peeve is that it is very difficult now (at least where I live) to find regular double edge razor blades and the holders for them. The double edge razor blades are compact, easy to pack for travelling, and cheap. You can also sharpen them inside a ceramic coffee cup and reuse them. Unfortunately, most US drugstores only seem to stock expensive, complicated razor cartridges.
    I bought my Merkur razor and blades through Amazon.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

30 years ago I can remember watching my grandpap shave with a straight razor when I was 16 and he was 90. he still did a pretty good job back then.

As far as I know that's all he ever used as he was born in 1893. My dad told me that grandpap never shaved himself until he went to the army in 1917 and had to do it himself.

Up until then he went to the barber for a shave. I guess it must not have cost that much as he never made a lot of money but I'm sure you could stretch a dollar more back then.

Default buy electric scooter now

Among the products listed on the site, which one is the best?

More Spammy Little Morons........
    Last edited by Rick; 06-02-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Removed Link

The best? Why, that would be the Ban Hammer!!!!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Rick has spoken.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I always heard that in a SHTF event, the comforting things in life start to mean more. And Kyrat is right about the women, the last time I grew my beard out the girls didn't like it at all. So when times get bad, you guys can look like Grizzly Adams and listening to complaints about your scruffy beard, and I will be a happy clean shaven survivor
    Don't worry Winnie I have several suture kits, you just go on and get after it.

Do you think that will be much help in Algeria?

Oh, I'm sorry Rick........didn't know you wanted to play with him. In my defense, it's in the upper 90's and I've been doing yard work all day.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Man, oh man, oh man, oh man...

90 degrees in September in Florida....On the list.

I've had a beard and mustache since age 17..i'll rarely trim my beard back where it can be shaved off.so i'll be looking into scissors and other non electric Item's to keep my sideburns. Mustache and beard trimmed.
    Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.

I don't like to spend too much time shaving. I shaved every morning for a lot of years. I didn't like it then, I don't like it now. I shave about once or twice a week. I use a Fussion 5. I think Gillette makes it. I can shave in less than a minute. I use bar soap or shampoo and get it done and over with. I rarely cut myself any more. With the old double edged things, blood stains were common. I can't imagine if I had tried a straight razor. I'd probably have bled to death long ago.

Alan

Blog Entries

I was a real cowboy once and loved the life, Working them parting them, branding them, spraying them and just general everyday ranch work. Doing all of this got me into using a Strap, Strat Razor. But time being short I would jump to my razor. AMAZON has about everything to get you started. as well as "The Art of Manliness" here is a link: https://www.artofmanliness.com/?s=shaving+strat+razor At one point I did some collecting of razors, brushes, soap dishes, and straps until it got to be too much. Today I will use and take on trips my two strat razors and giving myself a close clean shave. MY wife thinks its manly of me doing a shave with a strat razor. I will say it was a bit hard at first. So I started by shaving the backs of my arms and leg parts until I had the telt correct each time. All of my Grandsons want to learn as their dad uses an electric shaver.
    The Wilderness for myself has always been a place, I can escape to and discover my stronger self. A true builder of self-confidence and skills, I never knew we're possible within me to achieve. A tough taskmaster breakdown my self-limits and barriers. I have overcome and found my inner self, leaving behind only the old skin, blood, and sweat, having won a newer stronger self. The Wilderness shows me a better reflection of myself.
    by Dogman.