Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many points of the compass can you name?

Default How many points of the compass can you name?

Suppose you were bugged and all you had was one of those cheapy compass's that only showed North, South, East and West.
    And I told you that to get to safety, you needed to head South by South/South/East. Would you know where that is?

How many points of the compass can you name and the degrees that each represents?

Just wondering?

Sparks

Someone carrying one of those cheap compasses, more than likely, wouldn't be able navigate using the compass alone. Points and degrees arent on such crappy compasses, plus those are usually not that accurate anyway. As a backup, maybe it would be ok to carry.... but if you're relying on a cheap compass to navigate a long distance in unfamiliar territory- that could be a problem!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Quite right NighShade and thanks. I was only saying this as if you had only the cheapy, that for whatever reason you lost or your good compass was broken.
    A cheapy is better than nothing. Not accurate but not bad. I have one here from an old Cracker Jack box and it is pretty accurate for the four points.

I found it today and it got me to thinking. And thats hard on an old man like me.

Sparks

I could navigate quite easily. You see, I live on the Agonic Line. Piece of cake for me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Suppose you were bugged and all you had was one of those cheapy compass's that only showed North, South, East and West.
    And I told you that to get to safety, you needed to head South by South/South/East. Would you know where that is?

How many points of the compass can you name and the degrees that each represents?

Just wondering?

Sparks
    I would understand south south east. which is in between south and south east. So I would guess that you are meaning a point half way between south and SSE, right?

I would ask - Are you sure? Got a bearing?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

One of those was a movie. Give me a minute and I'll think of it. South by...no...that's not right. East by...no....Is this a trick question?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Mr. Hitchcock I presume?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No, but that's close. I'll think of it. Just give me a minute.

Ain't the internet a wonderful thing. Proved me wrong twice today. I won't mention what the other thing was.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Sparks
    No, not without Crash's detailed pic. (I would have been quite off)
    So thank you both for making me learn one more thing.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Degrees
    So this is how liberty dies.....With thunderous applause.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I could navigate quite easily. You see, I live on the Agonic Line. Piece of cake for me.
    Sorry, Rick...Magnetic North must have moved. You have a magnetic declination of about -4.5 degrees: http://magnetic-declination.com/

The movie was North By Northwest. Sorry I can't remember who was in it. Maybe Jimmie Stewart.

Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint.

Being Infantry; it's easy peasy.
    1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,....45, 90, 180, 270, 360/0. There's 300 some odd other ones.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Ok, B. You're quicker on Google than me! LOL But back to the original question, isn't it 360 degrees, each degree has 60 minutes and each minute has 60 seconds. Is that what you were asking? Or did you want military grid coordinates?

Quote Originally Posted by Delta 5168 View Post
    Ok, B. You're quicker on Google than me! LOL But back to the original question, isn't it 360 degrees, each degree has 60 minutes and each minute has 60 seconds. Is that what you were asking? Or did you want military grid coordinates?
    I believe he was just referring to direction, not degrees. BTW - degrees on a compass are not broken down into minutes and seconds. Latitude and longitude are, but not degrees on a compass.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Delta 5168 View Post
    Ok, B. You're quicker on Google than me! LOL
    Actually, I must have seen that movie at least 4 times...it's a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I believe he was just referring to direction, not degrees. BTW - degrees on a compass are not broken down into minutes and seconds. Latitude and longitude are, but not degrees on a compass.
    Sorry. my bad. Head full of sinus congestion leads to head full of stupid :[