Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Locations

I like the idea of a camper granted it won't work for every situation but I feel it's a good option. I have a toy hauler that I bought from a salvage yard. It was new with no damage. It's mostly loaded and ready to go. This thing has a ton of room inside with two beds that fold up against the wall. When I take the grand kids they get to sleep on the blow op mattresses.

These first two pics are when I brought it home before I added the beds and a few other things.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Throw a small narrow wooden wedge into your BOB. If you're on the move, you may be able to find an empty storage room to lay low in. Use the small wedge to jam the rollers on the overhead door so it can't be opened. Just cross your fingers that some fool doesn't come along and throw a lock on the outside.

Now that's pretty nice.....I like that......DW wants "slide outs....LOL
    I love my trailers.....and find them a comfort when out and about and need a spot to get out of the rain.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

one thing about a bug out rv your limited to travel where the roads let u as to power go to an old car auto wreckers pick up a couple of generaters and mechanical voltage regulators they can be hooked up to a windmill or even a water wheel ,can do the same with an alternator but get one that has an external regulator ,rvs are great but when the holding tanks are full and your in hide mode what do u have planned to get those tanks empty .then u have the cost id had a med range 5th wheel and between truck and trailer just to hook up i had 60,000 invested in equipment if you have your rv on location u have to make it critter proof critters will eat your wiring spiders will get inside bring your bug bomb,mice will live in your insulation and it only takes a couple days for your hide away home to be a great place for bees or wasps to live--- so rvs yep loved mine would i do again no id get something like an old uhual truck theres thousands out there convert that inside to a rig to get away you can still tow a small truck behind or bring a bike with u i tried the bike bit ownd 4 spilled 4 so no bikes for me

My ideal is still an old ambulance, with heavy duty everything.
    Racked out, plenty of generators, and space to carry gear.
    Put a hazmat sign on it, and no one would ever stop you..........

You need to be picky on this one, hunter. Our VFD has one ambulance that is possessed by some form of poltergeist. There's so many electronics hooked up to it that they're an absolute nightmare to trouble shoot when you do have a problem. With ours, the headlights spontaneously come on for no reason and kill the battery sometimes (when somebody forgets to plug it in) and the lights in the back go out without warning and you have to turn off the engine and restart to get them back on (which is not convenient when you're running a call, might I add).

Also, watch out for Ford chassis. There was a period of time in the late 90s or early 00s where they had a different fuel line routing for the chassis being sold for ambulances and Winnebagoes than pick up trucks. A few manufacturers of both bought the pick up trucks and the way they ran the exhaust, it resulted in catastrophic fires. There was a big recall, but you'd sure what to check to make sure they didn't miss the one you bought and didn't know better.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Man, you guys need to make runs like the Army. Ambulance followed by a spare ambulance on a tow truck.

Here you go, Hunter. This is my idea of the BOV. And Pinzgauer's aren't that expensive.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by endurance View Post
    You need to be picky on this one, hunter. Our VFD has one ambulance that is possessed by some form of poltergeist. There's so many electronics hooked up to it that they're an absolute nightmare to trouble shoot when you do have a problem. With ours, the headlights spontaneously come on for no reason and kill the battery sometimes (when somebody forgets to plug it in) and the lights in the back go out without warning and you have to turn off the engine and restart to get them back on (which is not convenient when you're running a call, might I add).

Also, watch out for Ford chassis. There was a period of time in the late 90s or early 00s where they had a different fuel line routing for the chassis being sold for ambulances and Winnebagoes than pick up trucks. A few manufacturers of both bought the pick up trucks and the way they ran the exhaust, it resulted in catastrophic fires. There was a big recall, but you'd sure what to check to make sure they didn't miss the one you bought and didn't know better.
    Details, details....we are dicussing concepts on how to GET to the BOL.....like the idea of a spare w/tow truck......

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Man, you guys need to make runs like the Army. Ambulance followed by a spare ambulance on a tow truck.

Here you go, Hunter. This is my idea of the BOV. And Pinzgauer's aren't that expensive.

I like that........Oh Honey, gonna be needing of of these......(haven't bought much since she shut me down after discussion on that English destroyer)

heres an idea when i was full time rving i met a guy that had this for a rig set up he had a used bobtail truck and a 25 ft travel trailer .he used the truck as a rolling shop he was retired but made extra cash as an on site rv repairman. his idea was good i think he had tools could barter his labor for goods or cash

I own a 1956 Shasta camp trailer. No crapper, no shower, just a place to eat and sleep, is 14 ft long and I pull it with my Toyota 4 banger pickemuptruck. Does great, and it's part of my BO program. My marriage is not the best so this can come in handy at anytime. I use lanterns, cook stoves, etc.. I have water barrels for water to. I can bug out to a spring I've fixed up and be a happy man. the trailer is water proof, so I'm always dry inside, and do a lot of winter camping, so of it in the trailer. It's just an option, not something I have to rely on. Paid $200 for it and have almost finished restoring it. I don't care whether anyone approves or not, it's mine.

I have a 6X12 covered trailer that is all I need for a bug out trailer. I could paint it cammo and pile brush up around it and it would be very hard to spot. It is light enough that my 4 wheel drive should be able to pull it to a secure out of the way location. It would not be as comfortable as an RV, but it hides easily and only weighs 1200 pounds. It would keep the rain of our heads and would be easy to heat.

Quote Originally Posted by scumbucket View Post
    I own a 1956 Shasta camp trailer. No crapper, no shower, just a place to eat and sleep, is 14 ft long and I pull it with my Toyota 4 banger pickemuptruck. Does great, and it's part of my BO program. My marriage is not the best so this can come in handy at anytime. I use lanterns, cook stoves, etc.. I have water barrels for water to. I can bug out to a spring I've fixed up and be a happy man. the trailer is water proof, so I'm always dry inside, and do a lot of winter camping, so of it in the trailer. It's just an option, not something I have to rely on. Paid $200 for it and have almost finished restoring it. I don't care whether anyone approves or not, it's mine.
    There is a lot to be said for those old trailers........Congrats.
    Used a '63 Shasta for a lot of years, at "The Place' before the cabin came along, and did wonderfully....Lots of hunting seasons and good times there.

Donated it to a "Homeless guy" that was living in a kinda straw covered Yurt, and old blue bus.....the land he was living on got sold so he was able to "move" is house......so the old Shasta is still in service.
    Had to put tires on it to move it so it cost me $60 bucks....to Give it away....LOL

heres a light option mini trailer.jpg add a better entry, its built on a trailer kit this is small enough it can be towed by a front wheel drive vehicle (under 2,000 lbs )
    Last edited by old2531; 02-28-2013 at 03:25 PM.

My vehicle covers most base for bugging out full 4wd easy to repair tonnes of room for everything plenty of clearance and not gonna be to easy to notice in the bush if trying to keep a low profile
    Attached Images Attached Images

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I think some of you folks need to take a little trip.

I just ran the I75 corridor from the Ohio river to Tampa Bay, 950 mile one way.

On the entire trip down and back traffic was basically bumper to bumper. Any little glitch and things slowed to a crawl, or stopped entirely. At several points I passed backed up vehicles wall to wall for 15-20 miles in the opposing lanes.

The tail lights at night looked like a sea of lava speeding off into infinity.

There was not a crisis in effect!

It was not even tourist season!

I use an interstate route as my main access to town and often I am forced off the highway only to find the side roads packed just like the interstate. Often I have to take alternate routes to escape the side roads!

A week ago one inch of snow shut down the entire coridor for 30 miles while ten seperate collisions were cleared over a 5 mile streach.

I fear that unless you get a week advance notice not many are bugging out anywhere, in anything, so all this expense might be better spent on food or beefing up the old stationary shelter.

My RV does have one advantage; I can park that sucker right over the septic tank and run the line directly into the system. A couple of tarps funneling water into the holding tank when it rains, a good solar pannel and I am pretty much set for staying home and downsizing the lifestyle.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I know some will disagree, but I have a 1955 Shasta camp trailer, it has a stove, beds, cooler, closet, table to eat off of, sink and it's about 14 ft long. I love this thing, I have restored it so it looks good, and is comfy. I can pull it with my little Toyota Tacoma 4 banger pickup. This is my secondary item. We have a cabin in the woods on our own property, but if King O and his henchmen find us and take away our home, this is my backup plan. We can set it up in a few minutes and have a shelter to live in, and a creek nearby for water, supplies already cached at the site, allow us to just take off disappear. No one is going to be able to fight government troops belonging to King O, so the idea is to be invisible. I've set my little trailer up in the forest and had it in the same spot spring, summer and fall lots of times and no one knew where it was or bothered it. This is my backup plan. This way I don't have to build a shelter out in the sticks to hide.

Hi birdman6660,
    Do you know any specific areas in northern ontario that suit for bug out?

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is an intro section at:
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

birdman6660 hasn't posted anything since 4-20-14

Kinda cold in northern Ontario?
    Geared up?

Hey ... rickgu ... if U really want good BOL texxt me ..705-938-0831

Not posting often ... but always watching ... so few are really doing any prepping ...
    So many think a tri power camper will work for you ling term ..
    B 4 SHTF ..TRY IT OUT !

U wont like the outcomè ..... u want to be ready ?

.get a BOL OUT OF THE WAY FROM EVERYTHING as far as possible
    .set up infrastructure and stock it and wait .... a Bob is a joke .... a bug back home bag has a use for sure ...bit if u Think u gonna grab your BOB and escape into the bush youre in for a big surprise ....
    Last edited by birdman6660; 02-05-2017 at 08:12 AM. Reason: needed to add opinion
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !