Thread: bump keys for autos

Default bump keys for autos

I thought I would share this tip, it's not really about bump keys per say. Perhaps it has been mentioned before. Anyhoo with most everything having automatic locks I have found myself locked out of my vehicles. I have a big Chevy van that we use at work. Awhile ago it got accidentally locked with the key in it, normally I have spares but we had just purchased this van. We were able to open it by using another Chevy key by using it like a bump key. This morning the same thing happened on a ford van I'm test driving. I'm sure Monday morning the car dealer would have another key. However I was able to open it with the key from our ford freestyle. This is done by moving the key in and out rapidly while turning it. I'm not a big fan of automatic locks.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

That is interesting.....I really don't think any one uses a key in the door any more...just the key fob.
    I gonna guess this in not all that uncommon.

Had the car wash guys lock my keys in the truck...called home and had DW open it with her fob over the ohone.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

The crazy thing is I leave the keys in my vehicle most of the time. I live in the sticks and one of these days the city will show up. Usually what happens is the lock button gets bumped and the door gets closed. The other day my wife and daughter traded vehicles for a day. I went out to start the daughters car to warm it up, it was 9 degrees below zero that morning. I was real careful and closed the door gently and the darn thing locked its self. She had on-star unlock it but what a pia.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    The crazy thing is I leave the keys in my vehicle most of the time
    You might lose them if you take them out!

Something that might be what you are looking for is a set of auto jigglers.

https://www.lockpickshop.com/SJG-10.html

I've never tried them. I have a regular lock pick set that I've practiced with (not on cars, different lock system), but not these. Shop around you can probably find them cheaper.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

LOL....I don't have On Star...but I would feel bad calling them in.....

Reminds me of the old On-Star ads....had Batman in the Batmobile.....calling in for fuel, blocked roads...bunch of silly stuff.
    Was waiting for the On-Star lady to say...
    "Holy Crap Batman, ....What a Dumas....can't you get from one end of town, to the other without help?...There ARE people that Really NEED help."

Your yanking our chain right , used the key fob over the phone ?????

Yeah kinda....LOL
    Urban myth.....
    When I tired it at the Cabin....key fob was close enough to trip it i\I thing.....but the n again that truck has keyless pouch pad.

All sorts of supposed ways to "program it"....?