Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hot sauce and survival uses

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    And pepper isn't the only kind of hot. Horseradishes, and wasabi is the king, will put you through the wall if you're not careful. I once made a hot sauce of mustard, honey, and horseradish and I thought it would eat a hole through my stomach.
    In the US wasabi is made from horseradish and mustard. Wasabi is difficult to cultivate and expensive.

Mustards and horseradishes are a completely different type of hot and they are much shorter lived and mostly affect the nasal passages. It has something to do with the converting of sulfurs. They don't contain any capsaicin.

Chile peppers all originated from the Americas and Columbus was one of the first Europeans to encounter them and is often credited with referring to them as peppers. They are a fruit in the Nightshade family.

The quick dissipation of heat with Wasabi is why I prefer it to pepper products at times. Jambalaya is a nice slow eating meal that burns a bit, like enjoying a cigar. A bit of a nice steak with a pinch of wasabi or horseradish with its spike of flavour and swift passage through the nasal passages is more like a good sip of brandy. Frankly I can think of better terms but I think sex talk is a no no on this board lol

I love Jambalaya. We just buy Zatarain's mix and add meat and heat. I love Cajun food. If I couldn't have been Scottish, I would have wanted to be a coona$$!

My dad was the one that got me into hot stuff. We poured Tabasco all over Doritos. He also slathered meat with horse radish. Especially roast beef.

I would take a spoonful when I had a stuffy nose. Good stuff. I bought the whole root a few weeks ago and figured I would just chew on it. I cut a small piece and at first it wasn't even strong and then as I chewed on it it got real strong.

Heh, Jimmyj, you don't have to say it. Anybody that's eaten it knows. Peppers, mustards, curries, radishes and horseradishes - they're just different. They create different dishes. I have my preferences. For instance, I like hot banana peppers in a chicken stir fry. I'm not that crazy about jalapeno - it has a smoky taste that I don't often find too inviting. I like the African Bird peppers but they can easily be overdone (like I said, I don't want things so hot I can't taste what I'm eating - though sometimes, that's been a mercy).

Ever had chili flavored chocolate?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Only once and it was very mild. A lovely combo mind you. I am looking to make a dark chocolate fondue with a nice spicy chili infusion one of these days, sort of a holy grail of spice lovers I think. Any tips?

No, but it sounds like a great project. Let me know how it turns out.

I have used curries in desserts, though - such as a curry glaze for a flan.

Come to think of it, though, pepper heat seems to be oily so it might be a good start to macerate the pepper in a chocolate liquor (or a brandy - something with significant alcohol content) and use that in the fondue. You can check out the extract before adding it to a fondue so you don't waste the final product.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 02-05-2013 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Second thought
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyq View Post
    The quick dissipation of heat with Wasabi is why I prefer it to pepper products at times. Jambalaya is a nice slow eating meal that burns a bit, like enjoying a cigar. A bit of a nice steak with a pinch of wasabi or horseradish with its spike of flavour and swift passage through the nasal passages is more like a good sip of brandy. Frankly I can think of better terms but I think sex talk is a no no on this board lol
    Hahhaha "sex" and "burning" should not be in the same conversation, ever!
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Roger that.

Well, I got my little box of samples today from the post office box. Looks like a place I will order from again. convenient, decently priced and a good selection. http://www.minimus.biz/
    100_4907.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLR6UOn2ULM
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    They sell cream for that.......but agree...LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I bring hot sauce with me to spice up bland food, but never thought of all the possible survival benefits of it! Totally justified in carrying it with me now

And hot sauce can make some righteous patinas as well.
    USN/USNTC/SD

When trebuchets are outlawed, only outlaws will have trebuchets.

Greetings from the Kingdom of An Tir and the Baroney of the 3 Mountains.

ghost peppers boiled into a sauce gas will rot the squirt guns seals i like the pepper ideas better for bears use a water cannon (plastic) lol

He he, I've got two of those mini Tabasco bottles in my bob and day bag. Kind of a cool, ok hot, specialty item. Sure puts some life into those fairly boring and over salted cheap noodle packs though.
    Have a super one...

larryb

http://larrybass.tripod.com/Surviving.html

Still Surviving, after all these years...

Even though I have some packets of tabasco sauce in my cook kit, I didn't care too much for it. But the other day while eating out, I came across a chipotle tobasco sauce that is the bee's knees!
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Jimmyq,

I have made Ghost pepper chocolates and they are amazing! The sweet and insanely hot really do compliment each other.

Have also made hot pepper hard candy while trying to make pepper jam with the Ghost Chillie, get the temp too high and you get hard candy. The hard candy with cinnamon, white and brown sugar and a lot of Ghost chillies was awesome.

With the chocolate I finely chopped the fresh ghost chillies from the garden and then lightly toasted them dry in the oven on foil.

Then poured melted chocolate with a bit(5% total chocolate) of wax in for gloss and higher melting temp after it is complete.
    Pour half of each chilled mould section in and then sprinkle with Ghost chilie pieces then pour the top and wait to cool before popping them out.

You could also just use a wax paper sheet and pount cookie sized drops of chocolate and then add the chillie pieces and top off with more chocolate.

Have tried milk and dark chocolate this way and they are great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyq View Post
    Only once and it was very mild. A lovely combo mind you. I am looking to make a dark chocolate fondue with a nice spicy chili infusion one of these days, sort of a holy grail of spice lovers I think. Any tips?

Has anyone yet mentioned that you can use the cap of the hotsauce container as a VERY loud whistle? It is used the same way one would use an acorn cap to whistle with. It can even be louder than a lot of those "survival" whistles (the kind that are bright orange and come with a crappy little compass) especially if you sharpen the edge of the cap with a pocket knife.
    ~ Stercus Accidit ~
    (Latin for "S*** Happens")

Quote Originally Posted by towelie View Post
    Has anyone yet mentioned that you can use the cap of the hotsauce container as a VERY loud whistle? It is used the same way one would use an acorn cap to whistle with. It can even be louder than a lot of those "survival" whistles (the kind that are bright orange and come with a crappy little compass) especially if you sharpen the edge of the cap with a pocket knife.
    Really?...Cool....I did not know that,..... does it work with those mini Tabasco bottles?....I could wear one around my neck.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Really?...Cool....I did not know that,..... does it work with those mini Tabasco bottles?....I could wear one around my neck.
    Just guzzle the entire bottle of hot sauce, and hold the cap close to your back side. Something will make a noise