Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot sauce and survival uses

Default Hot sauce and survival uses

Do any of you carry hot sauce in your BOB, and have you ever thought about all of the survival uses hot sauce offers? I have loved hot sauce since I was 10 years old, and I have many different kinds from Daves Insanity, Holy Chit, to Widow. I think hot sauce can be very handy in the wilderness as well, like putting some flavor in a road kill possum, or using it to kill stomach viruses. Did you know that hot pepper is actually good for stomach ailments. It can be used for insect repellant, and if you are freezing a little sip will warm you up.
    If you were stranded and needed to yell for help, all you have to do is take a sip, and you will find renewed energy for a loud lifesaving yell. If you rub it on fresh meat, and bear comes by to check it out, he will get one little taste and move on..................fast!
    So there you have it, hot sauce for survival, a new use for an old spice!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I like it as well, one of my favorites:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you put it in the stew pot visitors will eat less.

If they do steal your food while you are out of camp you can wait until the next morning and find the theives as they scream in the bushes and beg for chilled tp.

You can also shoot it in the eyes of attackers with a squirt gun and get better intruder repelling results than an AR rifle. (do not tell Joe Biden)

Honestly, I sent gallons of tobasco and Louisiania hot sauce to Iraq while my boys were there. We had to up the ration from one bottle per "care package" to two bottles.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Sounds like a good trick! I can eat the milder hot sauces as a condiment, but I take it you guys are talking about the serious stuff... A drop or two in your survival stew would probably go a long way... and the squirt gun idea is pure genius! Off topic but I wonder if gasoline in a squirt gun would work like a flame thrower or just explode?
    "Sometimes the best spear is the one you don't throw."
    -Johnny Whitefeather, Self-Proclaimed Native American

"Drop the weapon and put your hands on your head!"
    -What you can usually hear when I try to demonstrate the above quote.

Blog Entries

Cool Not me Babe!

Don't touch it! Hate it with a passion! I have a sensitive palate and can discern the subtle spices, so I leave the liquid fire alone! However if you like the really hot stuff, might I recommend Chinese Mustard? Also, MREs come with a tiny bottle of Tabasco inside.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by Mozartghost1791 View Post
    ... and the squirt gun idea is pure genius! Off topic but I wonder if gasoline in a squirt gun would work like a flame thrower or just explode?
    Gasoline might mess up the vinyl/plastic works inside, not sure on that, however, a squirt gun filled with rubbing alcohol and shot into the eyes will blind an attacker for an hour!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I really like hot and spicy food as well, but don't care for the smell of tobasco and Louisiania hot sauce. I like to add lots of cheyenne pepper, black pepper, and chili powder to my food. And the last time I had Taco Bell, I ended up putting 45 packets of fire sauce in my XXX nachos. They really should just have a pump dispenser for me.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    However if you like the really hot stuff, might I recommend Chinese Mustard?
    I haven't had the mustard, but our local chinese restaurant has some type of red sauce with large seeds that's real spicy. I like to put it on french fries. Have told others it was chinese ketchup and gotten them to try it, too.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Hot sauce, love them. Once I was in the convention center in Portland and bought an over priced sandwich from the concession then when I sat down I saw these tiny bottles of Tabasco on the table and other tables, I was like, wow! Gold mine! I think I ended up grabbing about 6, should have filled my pockets, so handy to tuck into a mess kit or otherwise to add some life to some possibly bland food. The other thing I do is hoard fast food place sauce packets, the odd time I go for a burger or taco I always ask for lots of whatever sauce they specialize in (mustard, catsup, relish, hot sauce, vinegar, tartar...) that I don't have a good pile of at home or in the glovebox, wife thinks I am cheap, I call it thrifty. IMAG3118.jpg 101_5860.jpg

I don't know how pepper can actually warm you up physically but......

One Howl, one of our regulars made a big pot of chili - put Scotch bonnets in it. I ate 2 bowls full and decided it was time to take the 2 1/2 mile trek down the car killing dirt road/trail to the ranger station for a shower. It was so cold that my breath was freezing in my beard. A little way down the trail, I had to come out of my leather jacket, then I had to take my sweater off. By the time I got to the ranger station, all I had on my upper body was a t-shirt and I needed the shower, because I was drenched in sweat.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Scoth bonnets can hurt you, I haven't had the guts to try them yet, I like some heat in my food but I don't enjoy outright pain.

I don't have a sweet tooth. I like my food very spicy. As an example, I put about as much Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper and Mad Dog 357 Extreme Mustard Sauce on a hot dog as most people put ketchup and mustard on theirs.

My son-in-law's mother is from Nicaragua and she makes a pickled salad that has cauliflower, onion, carrots and jalapenos. She makes a batch as hot as she dares just for me. I split the contents of the jar into two jars and fill the void with Habaneros. Good stuff!

We make a habanero mustard hell fire sauce that we slather over chicken or alligator in camp and grill it up. It is good stuff and while it is spicy, the grilling seems to somehow bring the heat down to allow people who like a hot wing type heat to enjoy it with minimal discomfort.

I make a Bajan Sauce out of African Bird Peppers:

Wolf's Bajan Sauce

2 tablespoons powdered pepper
    1 tablespoon mustard powder
    Mix in eough cider vinegar to form a paste.
    Stir in:
    1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Bajan Marinade

1 tablespoon Wolf's Bajan Sauce
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup cider vinegar

Stir Fry Sauce

1 tablespoon Wolf's Bajan Sauce
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    Gradually stir in enough cold water to make a thin fluid.
    Add 1 teaspoon soy sauce

Put 1 pound chicken breasts and the marinade in a plastic freezer bag and let them sit over night in your refrigerator.

The sauce can be thinned down with vinegar to make a traditional type sauce.

This is about my limit. I can put three drops in a pot of soup and still taste it.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Found a cool site today and ordered up about $20 (free shipping at $20) of stuff to sample. Some hot sauces, jams, sea salt and the like. http://www.minimus.biz/Dips-Sauces.aspx

Have you checked out the Kangaroo gas stations? Anytime I stop in there for like a coffee, I hit up the condiments for honey, onions, and other packs of interesting stuff. And Sarge, I have a bottle of hot sauce you may like called "Good and Evil Hot Sauce." It's not hot at all, but has like a sweet citrus flavor.
    ~Rocky Balboa

Don't have those stores here but I do keep my eyes open in fast food joints etc for any freebies worth having.

I just got some chipotle Tabasco,that stuff is great!!!!

Chipotle tobasco sounds like it may be good. Whenever I go to McDonalds and Burger King, I always ask for their chipotle bbq and roasted jalapeno bbq sauce, respectively. Both of those have a nice little kick.
    ~Rocky Balboa

I like specialty hot sauces. When I was in Charleston, South Carolina a couple of years ago (the huge city market has all kinds of such stuff), I found a great peach flavored hot sauce (Gita's Gourmet Vidalia onion and Carolina Peach Hot Sauce, if you want to track it down). And an old favorite that I see in grocery stores is TryMe Sauce's Tiger Sauce - it's not painfully hot but just a nicely blended hot/sweet sauce.

And pepper isn't the only kind of hot. Horseradishes, and wasabi is the king, will put you through the wall if you're not careful. I once made a hot sauce of mustard, honey, and horseradish and I thought it would eat a hole through my stomach.

Masala curries are strange in that they're not particularly hot but, when you mix them with other hot flavors, they amplify the heat.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 02-03-2013 at 01:19 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Mozartghost1791 View Post
    and the squirt gun idea is pure genius! Off topic but I wonder if gasoline in a squirt gun would work like a flame thrower or just explode?
    Gasoline requires to precise a mix. Lighter fluid works better, but it takes both hands, one to hold the pistol and the other to hold the match out front. Works best with a long term heat supply, like a fireworks sparkler.

Speaking of sparklers, every prepper/home defender shoudl google "sparkler bomb" at least once in their searches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oipHDxBxfb4

I will stop now, before the big black DHS truck arrives.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?