Thread: Hachets and hand-axes

Default Hachets and hand-axes

I once thought that for any wood work other than breaking large firewood into kindling, hatchets were vastly underpowered. In recent months and years I've discovered how much I love the darn things, but I never realized their potential for large-scale lumbering. I stumbled across this video, and have to say that it seems remarkably simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmXURKP3RMY

I have a log of big-leaf maple about that size, and I need to break it down to make bowstaves, so I think I'll try this method out for myself to see how easy it really is. The thing I'm most excited about is that this gives me further excuse to not own a chain-saw (I hate powered saws of all kinds, actually. Bit of a phobia of mine.)

Any of you done this sort of work before?
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

When I was in the scouts we had one assistant scoutmaster who was a real outdoorsman and ran all the Totin Chip classes. He made it much more demanding than in most troops. We learned to do quite a bit with just a sheath knife and a couple different size axes and no one ever got hurt. I found a 3/4 axe to be particularly handy. I probably could have learned a lot more from him. A good teacher helps.

That fella looks right handy.....not as handy mind you as Angus Baptiste...... http://www.nfb.ca/film/survival_in_the_bush/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Wow, that Baptiste guy is one dandy fellow?

I just don't understand why the kept the little bear in the first place. Since it took off with that collar, it probably hung itself along the way. I also wonder if they fed the momma to the cub?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Thanks GUN, I saw this early this AM and plan to use it on a project tomorrow!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

This is not something I've done myself, but I have seen wooden wedges used this way with an axe to split truly large trees. Recently I saw a very fine documentary about trappers in the Taiga region in which they showed one trapper making traditional wooden skis from planks he obtained using the technique shown in the video you linked to. But this was the first time I've seen this technique used with a hatchet.

Thank for directing me to this video because it's something I will definitely try in future. I often carry a hatchet on our canoe trips (a long-handled axe is just too much extra weight for how little I use it on such trips), and to reduce the risk of injury I have always preferred a hatchet which I normally use as a wedge with a wooden baton. It's a very safe way to use a hatchet and eliminates the dangers that are associated with a short-handled axe or hatchet.

Thanks again for this GreatUsername.

- Martin
    No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

I've said this before, and here I go again. I got a basic camp hatchet at Walmart for $10. After a few minutes on the grinding wheel it was sharp. It's great for chopping. That and a basic Mora type knife is really all you need.
    Klytus, I'm bored -- Emperor Ming

Nature is never boring -- various

Well, I'm pleased to say it was in fact almost as easy as it appeared in the video. I did find that having a hammer to strike the back of my hatchet (it's a beater anyways) made starting the gaps a lot easier. I now have my log in four wedges, and although not all of it looks like good bow material, I think there may well be one or two longbows hiding in there somewhere. I'll let you know if I start on that sometime soon.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I own several camp hatchets, axes, tomahawks, 3.5 lb axe and a splitting maul. I have A splitting wedge that I don't use at all.

I take which every tool is going to do the job the easiest. When I am riding in the back country we will scout hammocks for oak to cook over. We usually find large Live Oak logs and a chain saw makes quick work of cutting this into manageable pieces. We use psychology to split the logs in camp.

If I am in the back country hiking or if it is during hunting season when we don't spend a lot of time riding. We use smaller limbs and any thing that needs splitting can be batoned with a knife or machete.

I am all into learning how to do things with minimal tools. But, I will choose the easier way when given the choice.

I would hesitate on hitting the poll of an axe with a hammer. The poll is not hardened and you could crack it with a hammer. Maybe use a hardwood instead to baton it.

I would prefer a long handled hatchet over a knife, if only one choice would be available, but why limit yourself.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I am all into learning how to do things with minimal tools. But, I will choose the easier way when given the choice.

I would hesitate on hitting the poll of an axe with a hammer. The poll is not hardened and you could crack it with a hammer. Maybe use a hardwood instead to baton it.
    Good point, I just have a phobia of power-tools, especially chain-saws. I have actually seen this sort of near-miss several times before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31khLebxCyg

As far as hitting a hatchet with a hammer, I know that's generally a bad practice, but this hatchet is quite old and based on the way the poll has deformed, I can tell it was used as a hammer and struck by hammers for many years by it's previous owner (my great grandfather) and since it deformed rather than cracked, I assume this is rather soft steel. I tried batoning with wood, but it just wasn't as effective. It could work, but I got impatient.

I hear you on the dangers of the chain saw. They can be unforgiving and I remember that every time I crank one up.

I am no expert with an axe or hatchet. I have been shown a few tips and read "The Ax Book".

I have some experience in precarious positions with a chainsaw though.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Smoke break in a Norfolk.

Yes, chainsaws can be the devil's spawn.

I have a tomahawk I carry as well as a folding saw. That does just about anything I need to do in the woods. Well, building the fire is up to me I guess. Oh, and cat holes too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I love my Wetterlings wildlife axe. 13" but still has plenty of power.

The problem with hitting the poll is the deformation of the eye, making it more difficult to properly fit a handle.
    The Man with the best Horses and Dogs is the Man who uses them the Most !.....Wiley Carroll..........