Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storm Matches

Fire pistons are toys. They are fun to play with, but when you NEED a fire RIGHT NOW, there are better options. Usually the better options are one time use, but that's okay. You only use them when you really need them. I have been carrying matches for a few years now, and have yet to use them. I go camping once a month with the boy scouts and generally use a ferro rod, or lighter. For something that doesn't use resources, I would pick a magnifying glass over a fire piston. It is much lighter and smaller.

The only real comparison to a fire piston is a magnifying glass, and flint and steel. I guess you can throw in friction fires with those as well. They all have their different benefits and drawbacks, but they are all just different ways to start a fire when you have time, warm hands, and dry tinder.

To the OP, for me, there are two brands a storm matches that are proven performers: The REI brand, and the UCO. I would have to compare the performance of the Cohlgans up against the heavy hitters before replacing them in my kit. 11B did a great job of showing the UCOs in action. I have seen a similar video with the REI ones. So far, it has been my own experience that every time I purchase a Cohlgan item that looks just like a high value item from a different company, it has been a let down.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ...and if I ever find a need to light a fire under water I'll let you know how they work. [/COLOR]
    Or try to light a fire in the rain....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Or try to light a fire in the rain....
    Everybody here should try to light a fire in a hard rain. It's not easy but it can be done!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Wow! Now I'm glad I bought them! Thanks for the vid EB!
    NP sir, glad it was of help!

EB