Thread: send pics of your poncho shelter setup and sleep system

Default send pics of your poncho shelter setup and sleep system

Send pics and ideas

To what end?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What do you mean exactly

Lets see what your set up looks like?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by carloskaaos View Post
    What do you mean exactly
    Well - you said send pictures and ideas. Not sure if you want them posted in the thread that you started or sent (as you said) someplace. With your other post (which I deleted - read the PM I sent you) it is not clear to me what your intentions are. I just read your intro - since you are an intermediate to advanced outdoorsman - describe or show us what you've got. That way members will be more able to understand what you mean - your request left a lot of guessing room.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well I currently do not have a camera at the moment..I have my phone but the quality is not the greatest..might get one by next week...my system consists of 2 GI Woodland camo ponchos, 6 stakes, 20ft paracord, MSS Bivy bag, and poncho liner

Is this for your BOB? or is that your sleep system even when camping?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

That's true ....I just created this account so I'm still trying to find my way around

It is both i keep one in my BOB and the other for camping

Well I currently do not have a camera at the moment..I have my phone but the quality is not the greatest..might get one by next week...my system consists of 2 GI Woodland camo ponchos, 6 stakes, 20ft paracord, MSS Bivy bag, and poncho liner
    I don't use a poncho tarp. I don't see the need at the moment. I like a minimum of an 8' X 10' for a tarp, and a poncho is a lot smaller. I also like to have a separate rain gear from my shelter. I think the tarp+bivy idea is a good one, but the whole reason to have one is to make it easy and lighter than a tent. However, if you are using two ponchos, and combining them with an MSS bivy, and paracord, then your weight is too high. You can have a nice 2 person tent for that weight, and be bug proof. Let's take a look:

MSS Bivy- I haven't weighed mine, but the web says 2 lbs 2 oz, or 34 oz.
    military poncho- 1 lb 9 oz, or 25 oz. Add two, 50 oz
    poncho liner- 21.5 oz

A 2 person tarptent weighs 34 oz, a one person is 24.5 oz. An 8X10 silnylon tarp weighs 13 oz. A cheaper coated nylon 8X10 tarp weighs 22.5 oz. So, if you switch out one of your ponchos, and use the other one to wear when it is raining, and use either a single person tarp tent, a silnylon tarp, or a poly coated nylon tarp, you will save weight, AND have a ton more space to sleep under. In fact, you would be able to ditch the bivy, because your bag will be covered more.

Lets look at bivys:
    MH Conduit SL bivy- 1 lb 2 oz, or 18 oz
    slumberjack no fly zone (must have a tarp with it)-14 oz
    MH dry q- 15 oz
    MH ethereal- 1 lb 9 oz, or 25 oz
    Marmot home alone (practically a tent)-1 lb 12 oz
    OR Aurora- 1 lb 8 oz- or 24 oz
    REI Minimalist- 17 oz

Anyways, everyone is different, and if your setup works for you, then more power to you. As long as you get out there and sleep in the woods. Right now I am a hammock guy. However, if I ever get around to getting a 4" thick sleeping pad, then I will start looking for tarp+bivy combos.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Maybe I should show some of my gear, that is what you wanted to see.

Here is my 20F quilt that I made. It weighs about 22 oz. That is about the same weight as your poncho liner, except it keeps me warm to 20F, not 60F.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Here is my homemade 8X10. My hammock is underneath. It weighs around 26 oz (about the same as one of your ponchos) because I used heavier nylon, instead of 1.1 oz stuff.

I do use the MSS bivy in winter. I don't use a tarp with it. But then, I pull it on my sled.
    I want to replace it with this guy because the MSS is too small for my winter bag.
    http://www.milesgear.com/UberBivy.html

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    I don't use a poncho tarp. I don't see the need at the moment. I like a minimum of an 8' X 10' for a tarp, and a poncho is a lot smaller. I also like to have a separate rain gear from my shelter. I think the tarp+bivy idea is a good one, but the whole reason to have one is to make it easy and lighter than a tent. However, if you are using two ponchos, and combining them with an MSS bivy, and paracord, then your weight is too high. You can have a nice 2 person tent for that weight, and be bug proof. Let's take a look:

MSS Bivy- I haven't weighed mine, but the web says 2 lbs 2 oz, or 34 oz.
    military poncho- 1 lb 9 oz, or 25 oz. Add two, 50 oz
    poncho liner- 21.5 oz

A 2 person tarptent weighs 34 oz, a one person is 24.5 oz. An 8X10 silnylon tarp weighs 13 oz. A cheaper coated nylon 8X10 tarp weighs 22.5 oz. So, if you switch out one of your ponchos, and use the other one to wear when it is raining, and use either a single person tarp tent, a silnylon tarp, or a poly coated nylon tarp, you will save weight, AND have a ton more space to sleep under. In fact, you would be able to ditch the bivy, because your bag will be covered more.

Lets look at bivys:
    MH Conduit SL bivy- 1 lb 2 oz, or 18 oz
    slumberjack no fly zone (must have a tarp with it)-14 oz
    MH dry q- 15 oz
    MH ethereal- 1 lb 9 oz, or 25 oz
    Marmot home alone (practically a tent)-1 lb 12 oz
    OR Aurora- 1 lb 8 oz- or 24 oz
    REI Minimalist- 17 oz

Anyways, everyone is different, and if your setup works for you, then more power to you. As long as you get out there and sleep in the woods. Right now I am a hammock guy. However, if I ever get around to getting a 4" thick sleeping pad, then I will start looking for tarp+bivy combos.

True it is some what heavy..the whole point of the ponchos was to cut down weight..but instead it ended up weighing as much as a one person tent..I will probably end up taking out one of the ponchos

@finallyME ..is your sleeping bag bulky when compressed..
    And I like your tarp. What kind of material did you make it with

Blog Entries

DSCN1221.jpg I hate sleeping on the ground.

The night before I put the bag inside the poncho and rolled myself up like a taco next to the fire. Boy was I cozy. I had a stack of wood within arms length and would just wake up and throw a long on. I am not much on tents, unless it's my tipi.
    Last edited by FVR; 02-01-2013 at 07:18 PM.

True it is some what heavy..the whole point of the ponchos was to cut down weight..but instead it ended up weighing as much as a one person tent..I will probably end up taking out one of the ponchos
    For me, weight is important. I work at a desk, and am getting old (even though Rick has socks older than me). However, weight might not be that much of a concern with you. Everyone is different. Most people I know who use the poncho/tarp setup use one poncho. The whole point is to have one piece of gear, not two. With two ponchos, you might as well just carry a poncho and a dedicated, larger tarp for the same weight. You will end up with more room in a rain storm, and more versatility (you can wear rain gear with your shelter set up).

@finallyME ..is your sleeping bag bulky when compressed..
    And I like your tarp. What kind of material did you make it with
    With sleeping bags, you have light weight/warm/cheap, pick two. For my winter bag, I didn't have much money, so I picked warm/cheap and got a HUGE/HEAVY -25F bag for $100. It weighs about 8 lbs and is the size of my entire summer kit. It is too large to fit loosely inside my MSS bivy. But, I can jam it in (compressing the insulation a little) and still be warm down around -15F. I also put my BA insulated air core inside. I have been looking at getting a complete MSS system for my son to use when I take him in the winter. However, my money needs to be spent on summer stuff at the moment, with my summer backpacking plans with the family.

For summer, I use a homemade quilt. It is very light, and compresses very well (although down will be better, which I plan to make later).

I made the tarp from material I bought at Walmart for $1.50 a yard. You won't find it very easily there. I weighed it before waterproofing it (it wasn't waterproof fabric) and it came out to 1.7 or so oz/ sq yrd. Once I siliconed it up, it was in the 1.9 to 2.0 oz/sq yrd. I want to make another one in coyote, and use 1.1 oz/sq yrd fabric. Also, the universal camo pattern sucks, so I want something a little less noticeable.
    If you want to make your own tarp, this site is the best source I have found, although there are many other good sources. http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/products-page/
    Here is a tarp that is 8x10, uses the 1.9 oz fabric and is pretty well priced. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22217