Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best survival tools.

I read the entire thread. Just a friendly reminder - that's all.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

80lb pack? The only place an 80lb pack will be if it's mine is in the back of the truck being unloaded to reduce weight.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_prepper View Post
    That's OK, Welderguy.

The silo thing is from a book I read. (admittedly fiction) The entire state of Iowa pretty much survives the winter by silo-busting. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that's something I should get out of my head?
    Not sure which one that would be.....silos generally have a mix of corn/corn and stalks/ other grains, and other organic matter that can be actually "spoiling" and will give off gases that can kill. (methane) as well as spontaneous combustion of grain dusts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silo#Dr...2F_bin_hazards
    So it may be a possible shelter, but I'd look elsewhere....seems a lot of fiction.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Silo busting:
    1. Break into silo
    2. Eat edible material in silo.
    3. If nothing is edible, find new silo and repeat.

Note: It was the Change novels or something like that. It was more a back story than an important piece of information.
    I chose my user name before I realized that to be considered a 'prepper' I needed to have more than three days of food/water on hand. Sorry for any confusion.

I still am diggin the smilies, though. This is my favorite.

Here's some more specific questions:
    1. My dad has an ax in the garage. It has a large (2'+) wooden handle and is nice and heavy. Should I get a smaller camp ax or is this good?
    2. Would a small shovel be a good thing to have when camping?
    3. How about a mallet? Wooden handle + rubber head or 1 piece plastic?
    4. What kind of stakes? lightweight aluminum, steel, or plastic? (these will go into a variety of surfaces, from dirt to gravel with about an inch of dirt/grass on top)
    5. Compass: I liked my surveyor's compass, but somehow it doesn't point north (it has a disk that spins, not a needle) Suggestions for a replacement?
    6. What kind of lightweight container should I look for to keep a book, pencils and other things that can't get wet in? (note: book's corners tear zip-lock bags.)

This should cover it for now. Thanks!

Silos were kind of a fun sounding thing that is starting to seem over the top now. Thanks!
    Last edited by Young_prepper; 01-30-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: don't want to post thrice.
    I chose my user name before I realized that to be considered a 'prepper' I needed to have more than three days of food/water on hand. Sorry for any confusion.

I still am diggin the smilies, though. This is my favorite.

1. My dad has an ax in the garage. It has a large (2'+) wooden handle and is nice and heavy. Should I get a smaller camp ax or is this good?
    4. What kind of stakes? lightweight aluminum, steel, or plastic? (these will go into a variety of surfaces, from dirt to gravel with about an inch of dirt/grass on top)
    5. Compass: I liked my surveyor's compass, but somehow it doesn't point north (it has a disk that spins, not a needle) Suggestions for a replacement?
    6. What kind of lightweight container should I look for to keep a book, pencils and other things that can't get wet in? (note: book's corners tear zip-lock bags.)
    Applologies for the length... I sometimes try to account for all questions before they are asked. ĄSoy el verboso!

1: My feeling has always been that while it's nice to have a smaller one too, you can do everything with the larger that you could do with the small, albeit more awkwardly.
    2: That depends on where you are camping, and what you might use it for. I personally have never had much use for shovels other than to dig catholes (human waste disposal), but you can do that with the heel of your boot in a pinch. If you are in a snowy area though, or might incorporate digging into shelter construction, it might not be a bad idea. Not essential in my opinion.
    3: Unless that axe is double-bladed, it probably will do a good job as a hammer/mallet, just be sure to leave the sheath on or else be VERY cautious of the blade, and strike the flat heel of the axehead against whatever you're hammering.
    4: If you mean tent stakes, the type depends on where you are camping. Sand, snow, and loose soils require larger and thicker stakes like this: Cotswold-Snow-Sand-Stake-Alloy.jpg But in harder, compacted soil, you need these: vargo_ultralight_titanium_tent_stakes_rg.jpg And for a balanced stake between the two, consider these: stanpic816.jpg
    My preference is for metal stakes, because they can be used for more than plastic ones can (such as to raise a pot above a fire or stove) and tend to be more robust. In a pinch you can also make stakes from local hardwoods.
    5: Surveyor's compasses tend to be a bit confusing to use, especially if you don't understand the principle of declination very well (the number of degrees that magnetic north deviates from true north in your locality). I'd recommend you get an orienteering compass: compass.jpeg they are simple, robust, and easy to understand.
    6: Not being the sort to take books on wet trips, I don't know this answer as well as the others, but my suggestion would be that you get a small waterproof day-pack or satchel or something, and keep that inside your main pack. Vinyl or leather sacks tend to be the best for this purpose.

Good luck, I'm excited that you are taking interest in this sort of activity. If you have a boyscout troop available, that is an excellent resource for practice and networking with people who enjoy the outdoors like you do.
    Last edited by GreatUsername; 01-30-2013 at 01:23 AM.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Made some comments in red, doesn't sound like you learned a whole lot about camping in Scouts though.

How old and, big, and strong are you? Do you have any experiance handling an Ax?

A garden trowel works just as well, yet a lot lighter and takes up less room!

Why do you want a mallet?

Personally I like the ones that look like big nails.

If your compass doesn't point North then it's not worth keeping, go to Wal-Mart and get yourself a Silva for about $10-$20.

Again, go to Wal-Mart's sporting goods section where they have the camoping stuff and look for a nice sixe "dry bag." Canoeists use these.

Silos were kind of a fun sounding thing that is starting to seem over the top now. Thanks!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Something I have found to be of use is a pruning saw. Im not planning to fell large trees but for processing wood for fire or shelter it more then fits the bill.

answers in order of questions. personal preferences of mine, your results and like may be diffrent

1. for a camp ax I like a full size ax , but if I have to pack it in then I prefer a hatchet.
    2. the little 99 cent garden trowel works great IMO
    3. Why? you'll have a hatchet or ax
    4. I prefer the metal stakes. they last longer
    5. covered by Sarge and GUN.
    6. the dry bag that sarge suggested.

Thanks for explaining the silo thing , I would forget that idea, for a lot of reasons.

A couple other things you may want to research is fire starters, water purification, and maps of the areas you will be hiking and camping in.
    Try a different method of fire starting each time you go out , such as the bow drill method, or a magnifing lens, etc etc. ( have a lighter with you just in case you dont get it going ). and research and play with tinder as well.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Silo busting:
    1. Break into silo
    2. Eat edible material in silo.
    3. If nothing is edible, find new silo and repeat.

Note: It was the Change novels or something like that. It was more a back story than an important piece of information.
    Just curious, so thanks for clearing that up........I guess I was thinking shelter, and kinda sounded like a new idea.

One of my first books of self sufficiency was "Boxcar Children", and out several kids that made do, living in an old box car......and for some reason that always stuck with me....and that was maybe 45 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boxcar_Children

So did it relate what was considered edible.......corn, wheat, ....?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You probably want a "boy's axe" or something smaller. That is just an axe in the 2.5 lb range. It is better for younger users. However, still a little heavy for carrying around in a pack.

Bringing a steel shovel when car camping is a good idea. You can use it to mess with coals. However, backpacking, bring a small trowel, or use an digging stick. I don't like plastic trowels because I break them too much on roots. I use a snow stake instead.

If you have an axe or hatchet, then that is a hammer as well. Besides rocks were invented for a reason.

If you are car camping, then tent sites are restricted to certain areas. For these you need steel stakes. Otherwise, choose a site with soft ground. Then you only need aluminum ones. I prefer Y stakes. Don't get the cohlgan ones, they are crap, get either MSR or REI brands.

Silva's quality control is going down hill over the last few years. Buy either a Suunto or a Brunton brand. The ones with a flat base are better for beginners.

Ziplock baggie. Reinforce it with clear packing tape if you feel it necessary.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Red face Aussie Survival Tool - Flint Fire Starter, Emergency Signal & Light

Hey,

I live in an area with all of these (except the silos).

I have 4 kids ranging from 2 - 16 and we go camping near rivers, live in the bush and are a long way from anywhere. So we have to be prepared.

Really good if you need to light a fire in wet conditions because it has a magnesium strip which you can shave off. If you are camping and your bic lighter gets wet, your stuffed. With a flint fire starter that has magnesium it doesn't matter if it gets wet, you can still use your tool and light a fire to keep warm or cook dinner. This is because the magnesium works better when wet (gets really hot).

Also if your torch runs out (and we all know what that is like) you can strike the flint to create an emergency light that shines around yourself and helps when walking around so that you don't step on a snake or something. Better than flicking a lighter, that burns your fingers. LOL.

Also if the kids wander to far at night, they can signal you. You can see that spark from like 3 km away. Great for signalling emergency services when needed like a helicopter.

I have tried heaps of these flint type fire starters but the Aussie Survival Tool has timber as a handle that can be used to help start a fire. You can't beat that. Also it's spark is heaps brighter than the others. Google it if you haven't seen it.

I is small enough to keep in your pocket. I always make sure that I have an Aussie Survival Tool in our camping gear (also have one in all the cars) and my kids all know how to use them except the 2 year old. LOL.

Also I like the Lifestraws. They make sure you can get a clean health drink without drama or chemicals. Literally with the straw straight from a river, probably even a puddle, and it makes the water drinkable. You can Google this one too.

Both of these I take camping. They are totally awesome and actually work. They are small, take up no room and make sure that you have the ability for heat, signal, light and water. (in your pocket )

You should also take a first aid kit!

OK so quick dirty, and what I have in my 3Bag or mini-BoB as I call it.

Fire/compass
    Cutter
    Cordage

So its 4 but for me its three, drop cordage, paracord off it limited to three.

Me and others from the old ST forums are very familiar with the firesteels offered and I have an Armageddon with a built in compass striker and (bit of cordage wrapped around it which I then wrapped more around)
    Then I got me my multitool its a letherman but pick your poison till you find one u like.

of course I'd prefer my BK-7 if space allowed since its a heftier fixed blade you can do all sorts of fun stuff with.

Basics of my Bob

Firesteel
    Magnesium block
    Multitool
    Hand chainsaw
    Becker BK-7, (ugly but effective) the 9 inch blade was too machete for me, likely to just end up stabbin meself to heaven/hell.
    Zip Ties
    First-aid kit
    Wetstone (japense type) need to figure out how to work this thing better truly do its a skill
    P-51(can opener)
    Tuna in tin (packed in oil preferred)
    Vieanna sausage (eat or use for bait... I eat em they are yummy hot or cold)
    Daisy chained Paracord, da real deal stuff not the fake three strand wally world stuff
    PJ (TJ) balls petroleum jelly (vasalene) melted and soaked into cotton balls
    suture kit (although I would end up doing more damage then good... for the occasion I stumble across a fellow lost survivor who has medical training, but it stays in the larger vehicle BoB anyways)
    Gloves, and also several pair of latex/vinyl gloves (catching food only to catch a disease when butchering it would defeat the whole purpose)
    Small Hand Axe
    Tire Iron (yeah its useful and even if not part of BoB should be in your trunk DUH!)
    Pry Bar
    Chain and lock
    Food stuffs (got a 3 year "3day survival ration") suppose to taste like coconut and last 3 yrs will test it out soon as it is set to expire in about 6 months.
    Water Bladder, preferably filled which goes in my backpack
    2 gallons of water kept in trunk
    Thermal "Tent" which is just a large thermal blanket tube with some string to "pitch it" but squirm into tube cover over with debris if nothing else.

But always watch your expiry dates and try to rotate/maintain gear specially cordage/ropes dried out frayed life lines are not much of a lifeline.

I do not carry rope, it is prohibitively expensive and I'd get into more trouble with it than I should try to get into on my own.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff so I will have to go and check my packs to refresh the noggin, I have committed the sin of being lax.

I can not stress enough however that you gear is useless unless you get practice using it. Know what it can and can't do (for example paracord is not meant for climbing).

I'm all about budgeting and none of my gear was particularly expensive, the BK-7 and the multitool are some of the more pricy items.

Also 2 is 1 one is none. I have and extra of everything I tend to set up my Vehicle Bob liek a Russian nesting doll, the big BoB for my trunk has 1 of everything, sept for the BK-7 which is more for price than anything then inside there is my Pack which has alot of the more mobile items then a phanny pack within there with smaller items and then also in the pack is a separate waterproof bag, ones u get from waterparks for your wallet with a magnesiumblcok/firesteel and a cheaper multitool plus some matches and a button compass. I keep that smaller bag in the front pocket of the pack for easy access.
    Last edited by Davidlastink; 03-26-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    80lb pack? The only place an 80lb pack will be if it's mine is in the back of the truck being unloaded to reduce weight.
    The OP seemed young. lol

80lb pack for me better be a rear elk quarter, or 2-40lb packs.

Banned

Its been said before, but knowledge and a rational assessment of your situation and capabilities are your best survival tools in a survival situation. You should consider those things in your particular environment which threaten your well-being and then be prepare to minimize their impact should the need arise. Making this assessment before you head into the wilderness should help you have the right equipment. Overnight camping trips in the backyard, with scouting troops, or even an experienced outdoorsman can do a lot to improve your skill sets while offering a relatively safe training environment. There isn't a catch all toolkit that is right for every situation, season, and skill set.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 03-26-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Skills help you survive, gear helps you Thrive. However gear can not replace Skills but Skills can make gear.
    A Solid general pack, limited to what you can carry on a hike for 5 hours is the test I like to use. Also remember the less weight in gear the more weight in water I like to carry 3Liters in my water bladder. (Mind you my out of shape 5 hour hike is most likely very different than some one else lol)