Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best survival tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozartghost1791 View Post
    If dew (or frost) collects on the ground in the mornings, mop some up with your shirt (or another cloth) and wring it out into your mouth or your bottle. This won't have giardia, but make sure it isn't being wiped off of poison ivy or chemically treated surfaces...
    I would Love to see someone do this... (and actually get more then 3 drops) I think this is one of the biggest survival myths out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ubercrow View Post
    I would Love to see someone do this... (and actually get more then 3 drops) I think this is one of the biggest survival myths out there.
    TWO things... First this thread is getting off tract the OP was about Tools, second instead wanting to see it done ubercrow try it and document that its a myth!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    TWO things... First this thread is getting off tract the OP was about Tools, second instead wanting to see it done ubercrow try it and document that its a myth!
    Yep we are going far afield from OP
    Sorry I mentioned getting lost and the end of civilization.
    So I'll restate like Delta said at a minimum get a compass and a map and learn how to use them. Even if some people don't mind being lost its hard to get anywhere on any kind of wilderness experience if you don't know where you are or where you are going. It's even harder to get back home to a hot shower and a nice big greasy hamberger.
    Whether due to rain, river, or snow, blood, sweat, or tears it is usually easier to stay dry than to get dry.

yeah, right after my why unicorns are fake documentation I will get right on it, lol

yeah, right after my why unicorns are fake documentation I will get right on it, lol
    Shows what you know, rhinos are fat unicorns. And if you ever got off the computer and walked thru a field of grass in the early morning your shoes and pants will be soaked, thats called dew. and if you oh lets say wrap your shirt around your leg while walking thru said field you could ring or suck out the moister from that cloth , that moister is called water, and if you do that a few times you may just have enough to fight of serious dehydration and that can mean the diffrence of survival .
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

So I see by that comment you have no actual hands on experiance .

Shows what you know, rhinos are fat unicorns. And if you ever got off the computer and walked thru a field of grass in the early morning your shoes and pants will be soaked, thats called dew. and if you oh lets say wrap your shirt around your leg while walking thru said field you could ring or suck out the moister from that cloth , that moister is called water, and if you do that a few times you may just have enough to fight of serious dehydration and that can mean the diffrence of survival .
    If dewy grass can have enough moisture in it to give me borderline hypothermia (true story, I was 11 at the time), I imagine it's a good source for water. Also consider plastic bags around tree branches, weighted with rocks. The moisture of/on the plant will condense on the inside of the bag as the evening rolls around.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

So I see by that comment you have no actual hands on experiance .
    I have collected dew from probably the wettest place on earth with some of the most dew, Nth Cali redwood forest you can can wipe the forest down for hours and get basically nothing worth while(besides wet clothing) your only hope would probably be a very large water proof serifice such as the top of a motor home or a massive tarp. But since you are lost in the woods wiping down leaves I don't see getting much of a drink of water.

As for a normal place with a small coating of dew? good luck with any water making it to your lips.

I have spent 2 decades trying "survival" stuff. How about you do you ever make it off of the internet and actually try some of this stuff?
    Last edited by ubercrow; 01-29-2013 at 05:05 PM.

I have collected dew from probably the wettest place on earth with some of the most dew, Nth Cali redwood forest you can can wipe the forest down for hours and get basically nothing worth while your only hope would be a very large water proof serifice such as the top of a motor home or a massive tarp. But sence you are lost in the woods wiping down leaves I don't see getting much of a drink of water.

As for a normal place with a small coating of dew? good luck with any water making it to your lips.

I have spent 2 decades trying "survival" stuff. How about you do you ever make it off of the internet and actually try some of this stuff?
    YAWN>>>> I see I am talking to an expert that I am guessing has done it all so I will not ruin the OP's thread with indulging your petty comments. Good day sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_prepper View Post
    Especially in an area with access to:
    • farmland
    • urban(ish) areas
    • forests
    • lots of silos

Anything that isn't too expensive and can be considered "camping gear" (for parents' sake) would be great. Thanks! I really love these smilies!!
    I still want to hear about the silos.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

YAWN>>>> I see I am talking to an expert that I am guessing has done it all so I will not ruin the OP's thread with indulging your petty comments. Good day sir.
    I actually try stuff before I spout off, I see you have nothing realistic to add about this.

You think that's pretty slick, huh? Well I've walked through a lawn with SHORT grass early in the morning and my shoes were so soaked that they were dripping. If that was a cloth being dragged through that grass I bet you could get a decent dose of 'aich two oh' that way and in Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival it says that two students were able to fill a 20 gallon bucket in one morning of hard work sweeping dew.
    "Sometimes the best spear is the one you don't throw."
    -Johnny Whitefeather, Self-Proclaimed Native American

"Drop the weapon and put your hands on your head!"
    -What you can usually hear when I try to demonstrate the above quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozartghost1791 View Post
    You think that's pretty slick, huh? Well I've walked through a lawn with SHORT grass early in the morning and my shoes were so soaked that they were dripping. If that was a cloth being dragged through that grass I bet you could get a decent dose of 'aich two oh' that way and in Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival it says that two students were able to fill a 20 gallon bucket in one morning of hard work sweeping dew.
    lol... I thought that is where you guys get this stuff from, Tom Brown is fake. The drawing in the book where he grabs grass with drew and it runs in his mouth,lol that's where the unicorns come from.lol

Internet survivalist.
    Last edited by ubercrow; 01-29-2013 at 05:19 PM.

I actually try stuff before I spout off, I see you have nothing realistic to add about this.
    Tell ya what , Ill post pictures and or a video of my dew collecting expedition this weekend if you will. Other wise I dont wanna hear your dribble.

Tell ya what , Ill post pictures and or a video of my dew collecting expedition this weekend if you will. Other wise I dont wanna hear your dribble.
    I will be waiting with and empty cup, a little tiny cup.

Young Prepper.

I want to apologize for derailing your thread.

That's OK, Welderguy.

The silo thing is from a book I read. (admittedly fiction) The entire state of Iowa pretty much survives the winter by silo-busting. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that's something I should get out of my head?
    I chose my user name before I realized that to be considered a 'prepper' I needed to have more than three days of food/water on hand. Sorry for any confusion.

I still am diggin the smilies, though. This is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_prepper View Post
    That's OK, Welderguy.

The silo thing is from a book I read. (admittedly fiction) The entire state of Iowa pretty much survives the winter by silo-busting. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that's something I should get out of my head?
    Not trying to give you a hard time but could you explain silo busting ?

Let it go fellas. Get out and try it if you want to prove or disprove a point. Boots in the field! Letting it get personal is not the way to go.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Your late crash I dropped it after the challenge, I apologised to young prepper for highjacking the thread, and the last few posts were me to young prepper. Asking him what silo busting is.