Thread: Plane crash survival

Default Plane crash survival

You know, to me being able to survive means that you are at lest somewhat versed on how to survive any situation, and we all fly in airplanes as the fastest way to get to far off places. In my opinion surviving a plane crash could be defined as giving yourself the greatest possible chance you can by following the standard strategy, and a whole bunch of good luck to boot. And there are some rules you can follow to lessen your chances of dying in a crash.
    Has anybody on here survived a plane crash?

11 tips on how to survive a plane crash:

1. Wear long pants, a long-sleeve t-shirt, and sturdy, comfortable, lace-up shoes. Although you may want to be comfortable or professional-looking on a flight, sandals or high heels make it hard to move quickly within the wreckage. High heels are not allowed on the evacuation slides and you can cut your feet and toes on glass or get flammable liquids on or in your sandals if you wear them.
    Loose or elaborate clothing also poses a risk, as it can get snagged on obstacles in the close confines of a plane. If you know you’re going to be flying over cold areas, dress appropriately, and consider keeping a jacket on your lap. You’ll need to be able to stay warm if you survive the crash. Even if that is not a consideration, the more of your body is covered during impact, the less likely you are to receive serious injuries or burns. Cotton or wool clothing is also preferable as it is less flammable. Wool is preferable to cotton when flying over water, as wool does not lose its insulating properties to the degree cotton does when wet.

2. Book the right seats. Because the initial impact is most often survivable, the key to living to tell about a crash is frequently how quickly you can get out. To this end, it’s best to get seats as close as possible to an exit, and aisle seats are generally preferable. In addition, try to sit in the back of the plane. Passengers in the tail of the aircraft have 40% higher survival rates than those in the first few rows.

3. Read the safety information card and pay attention to the pre-flight safety speech. Yes, you’ve heard it all before, and you’ll probably never need it, but if you keep your headphones on during the pre-flight instructions or ignore the safety card, you’ll be missing out on information that could be vital in the event of a crash. Don’t assume you know it all already, either. Every type of airplane has different safety instructions. If you're sitting in an exit row, study the door and make sure you know how to open it if you need to. In normal circumstances the flight attendant will open the door, but if they are dead or injured, you'll need to do it.

4. Make a plan. If the plane is going to crash, you almost always have several minutes to prepare before impact. Use this time to once again review where the exits are, and try to count the number of seats between your row and the exit row—that way you’ll know when you’ve reached the exit even if you can’t see it. Assess the situation as well as possible. Try to determine what surface the plane will land on so you can customize your preparations. If you’re going to be landing in water, for example, you’ll want to put your life vest on—don’t inflate it until you’re out of the plane—and if you’re going to be landing in cold weather, you should try to get a blanket or jacket to keep you warm once outside.

5. Keep your seat belt securely fastened at all times. If the plane crashes while you’re sleeping, you’ll be glad you kept your seat belt on. In any case, make sure it is placed around you snugly before impact. Every centimeter of slack in your seat belt triples the G-Force you'll experience in the crash, so keep it snug! Also, push that snug seat belt down as low over your pelvis as possible. You should be able to feel the upper ridge of the pelvis above the upper edge of the belt. Why? The pelvis is a very strong structure that handles force well. However, if your belt slides up into your stomach, you have a greater chance of sustaining dangerous internal injuries. (Note: this also applies to car seat belts.)

6. Brace yourself for impact. If you know you’re going to crash, brace yourself. Return your seat back to its full upright position and assume one of two "brace positions."
    If the seat or bulkhead in front of you is close enough to easily reach, place one hand palm-down on the back of that seat, cross the other hand palm-down over the first hand, and rest your forehead against your hands (don’t lace your fingers). It is also sometimes recommended to put your head directly against the seat in front of you and lace your fingers behind your head, tucking your upper arms against the sides of your head.
    If you don’t have a seat close in front of you, bend forward and put your chest on your thighs and your head between your knees. Cross your wrists in front of your lower calves, and grab your ankles. In either position, your feet should be flat on the floor and further back than your knees to reduce injuries to your feet and legs, which you will need in order to successfully exit the craft after impact. Place your legs as far under the seat as possible to avoid breaking your shin bones.

7. Remain calm. It can be easy to get swept up in the pandemonium immediately preceding and following a crash. Keep a cool head, though, and you’re more likely to get out alive. Remember that even in the worst wrecks, you do have a chance of survival. You’ll need to be able to think methodically and rationally to maximize that chance.

8. Put your oxygen mask on before assisting others. You’ve probably heard this on every commercial flight you’ve been on, but it’s worth repeating. If the integrity of the cabin is compromised, you have only about 15 seconds (often less if you’re a smoker or have circulatory or respiratory problems) to start breathing through your oxygen mask before you are rendered unconscious. While you may feel an impulse to first help your children or the elderly passenger sitting next to you, you’ll be no good to anyone if you don’t remain conscious.
    You can put somebody else's oxygen mask on even if they're unconscious.

9. Protect yourself from smoke. Fire and, more commonly, smoke is responsible for a large percentage of crash fatalities. The smoke in an airplane fire can be very thick and highly toxic, so cover your nose and mouth with a cloth to avoid breathing it in. If possible, moisten the cloth to provide extra protection.

10. Get out of the airplane as quickly as possible. It’s critical to get out of the aircraft without delay—if fire or smoke is present, you will generally have less than two minutes to safely exit the plane.
    Obey the flight attendants’ post-crash instructions. Flight attendants undergo rigorous training to make sure they know what to do in the event of a crash. If a flight attendant is able to instruct or assist you—sometimes they won’t be able to do so after a crash—listen to him or her, and cooperate to increase everyone’s chances of survival.
    Don’t try to rescue your belongings. It’s common sense, but still some people don’t seem to get it. Leave everything behind. It will only slow you down.
    Make sure the exit you choose is safe. Look through the window to determine if there is fire or some other hazard outside of an exit. If there is, try the exit across the plane, or proceed to another set of exits.

11. Get at least 500 feet upwind from the aircraft. If you’re stranded in a remote area, the best thing to do usually is to stay close to the aircraft to await rescuers. You don’t want to be too close, though. Fire or explosion can happen at any time after a crash, so put some distance between you and the plane. If the crash is in open-water, swim as far away from the plane wreckage as possible.

I think most people that experience a plane crash just panick, stick their head between their legs, and kiss their A$$ good by, but to survives anything you have to at least have a plan! Did you think of a plan the last time you flew?

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I think most people that experience a plane crash just panic, stick their head between their legs, and kiss their A$$ good-bye, but to survive anything you have to at least have a plan! Did you think of a plan the last time you flew?
    Yes I did, I now stay the crap off airplanes. I'm not afraid of heights, I'm not even afraid of falling, it's just that sudden stop at the end that bothers me!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

We don't call them a "Crash" if we do we have to report it to the FAA. We just call it "Accelerated Deprecation". Of a Lofty Asset.

Yep - if'n we're going to copy and paste, it is important to include a link to give credit to the proper source.

Wouldn't want to be like Blade would you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

For a small plane, crack the door open just before impact. The doors can get jammed on impact.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Yep - if'n we're going to copy and paste, it is important to include a link to give credit to the proper source.

Wouldn't want to be like Blade would you?
    Sorry Crash, I meant to do that but that anaconda song had my mind occupied

I am still resisting listening to it. I probably won't be able to hold out too much longer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    For a small plane, crack the door open just before impact. The doors can get jammed on impact.
    Shut off the fuel, kill the mags, get out asap, hopefully wearing your survival vest. If plane not burning grab all usefull stuff from plane. Check ELT for activation & arm if not armed. remove battery from craft if possible (To reduce fire risk). Use protable Navcom to broadcast locaton. Pray.....empty shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Shut off the fuel, kill the mags, get out asap, hopefully wearing your survival vest. If plane not burning grab all usefull stuff from plane. Check ELT for activation & arm if not armed. remove battery from craft if possible (To reduce fire risk). Use protable Navcom to broadcast locaton. Pray.....empty shorts.
    Sounds like "been there, done that".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel