Thread: Measuring dried bell peppers.

Default Measuring dried bell peppers.

In the fall, I dehydrated the remainder of my bell pepper crop. Now I have kind of a problem. I've never used dehydrated bell peppers. I have a bunch of small pieces (Not rings.) and don't know how much to use. I'm making a pot of chili and I usually cut up one big fresh bell pepper. Can anyone tell me about how much that is in dry measurement?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

A cut up Bell equals one cup, roughly. I would use one third of that with dehy.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    A cut up Bell equals one cup, roughly. I would use one third of that with dehy.
    Thanks....and my pot of chili thanks you.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I was lurking last night. 1 oz dried should equal 1/4 of a medium pepper.

Good info , I usually just toss some in and hope ( with anything dehydrated or powdered) that its not too much.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Uh oh.....Welderguy is here. Now I need to change my wording, to a pot of stew. (I'm going to put beans in it.) LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Uh oh.....Welderguy is here. Now I need to change my wording, to a pot of stew. (I'm going to put beans in it.) LOL
    Thats Better!!!
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Well, I can recall that DD doing a favor for us while we were at work.....kept adding dried jalapenos (rings)....add some, try it, add some, try it......in a batch of chili.....LOL

Guess she didn't know that it took some cooking to get the "hot" going......

We got home and couldn't get anywhere close to it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Usually, dehydration increases the potency of any flavoring ingredient and you don't need to add as much of the dehydrated form. After some time, the dehydrated stuff begins to lose potency and you have to add more for the same effect (actually, you often can't get the same effect because flavor elements tend to leave dehydrated materials at different rates and the taste changes.)
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.