Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tractors for the Homestead.

Thanks to all of you for the posts. We are in the midst of a decision making time (about 1.5 years away from really needing the tractor). But my DH wants to use it to be warm when plowing our driveway in winter. Seems like any kind of cab really adds to the $$. We are the type who just don't want to futz (old Milwaukee word) with fixing up a tractor when so many other homesteading issues are and will be keeping us happy, busy, and tired. But costs are important too. Need to balance both.

So keep the comment coming; we are all reading them and learning. Hunter63 many thanks for starting this thread.
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by Solar Geek View Post
    Thanks to all of you for the posts. We are in the midst of a decision making time (about 1.5 years away from really needing the tractor). But my DH wants to use it to be warm when plowing our driveway in winter. Seems like any kind of cab really adds to the $$. We are the type who just don't want to futz (old Milwaukee word) with fixing up a tractor when so many other homesteading issues are and will be keeping us happy, busy, and tired. But costs are important too. Need to balance both.

So keep the comment coming; we are all reading them and learning. Hunter63 many thanks for starting this thread.
    The best way for him to keep warm when plowing the driveway is to ensure that his wife has a keen interest and passion for using the tractor.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I got a JD 1070 4 wheel drive with a small diesel. The back hoe is frame mount and comes off so I can put the 3 point on.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I got a JD 1070 4 wheel drive with a small diesel. The back hoe is frame mount and comes off so I can put the 3 point on.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Now that is going first class......congrats, man you are gonna love it!
    You will find new things everyday to use it for.

It still kills me that a lot of people , mostly not here on this forum, which I consider way more intelligent than say 98% of the population, that buy or lease new verticals...or technology.....and expect it to work flawlessly for years.....Then cheap out when it come to tools needed to "get'er done".

I too went thru the "more time than money" (which is really not true....just don't have the money) to find a way to get some work done...so always looked for the cheapest way "at the time" get from here to there.

I looked for good deals on the old tractors, and am confident in my mechanical skills that I can make most anything run....older IS easier, you don't need a $500 buck "module"....but maybe a nail file, and sand paper to get back going....

That said, the cheapest may not be the best deal.....in the long run.

Kinda funny as a part time homesteader,...... have neighbors down the road....that have retired out of the city, as well......hobby farmed with a long list of inheriated, old, auctions stuff equiptment.....for years.....would give me a bad time on my new equiptment........... His girlfriend (of 35+ years)....would chide him,...."Bob, just shut up, you are just leloius....that is a fine machine, you should pony up.... ."

As the gentleman became older, the lady started, having to do a lot more of the work......Just went out and ordered a new mid sized tractor for herself.

She explained that it was her money, now her job....and still wanted to do lunch with her lady friends.....WAS NOT gonna work on tractors....
    End of story.....It only cost a few bucks more to go first class.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Friend and neighbor (at The Place) from suburb of Milwaukee, has been telling me of his JD set up to plow....and really rubs it in that he has a cab.......But it's still in Milwaukee!....Doesn't want to pay couple of hundred bucks to haul it to his pole bare at his "Place".....
    Or so he says....LOL he is kinda competitive.

Haven't seen it yet, been a couple of years, so don't really know if it's real or not, or most likely afraid to park and leave it (city thinking).........if he had his way he would have put up a stockade around his 20+ acres.

That said, I will 100% agree with him that if a cab is important...get it that way from the factory...lot less screwing around.

Like the sayings go"pic's or it didn't happen.....gear that's not with you is of no help.

PS SG, we use "putz" a lot but have heard "futz".....futz being the lesser of the two....
    Meaning: mess with......
    Buy the tractor,... ain't getting any cheaper...and while you are beating your self up for spending the money........You will be getting stuff done.

Agree 100% on the enclosed cab. I stay toasty and warm in mine while plowing snow. Now, I couldn't imagine plowing without a cab- it would be pretty miserable.

Ok, this is to everyone but Hunter. ( don't want him to think I'm pickin' at him) I don't see any photo evidence above that he can do anything I can't do on my old ford. Including mow in reverse. I'm just sayin'. Lets keep that between us, what he don't know won't hurt him.

Quote Originally Posted by brad_mccarty1967 View Post
    Ok, this is to everyone but Hunter. ( don't want him to think I'm pickin' at him) I don't see any photo evidence above that he can do anything I can't do on my old ford. Including mow in reverse. I'm just sayin'. Lets keep that between us, what he don't know won't hurt him.
    LOL, well I'd rather mow the river bank "In reverse", tractor still on solid ground and at a constant PTO speed...but yeah that's just me.

Still might buy a 9n to park in front of the cabin.....Good yard ornament, look like a Terry redlin print.........

Got two friends that have them now (for sale)......parked behing the newer JD in the shed.

On my way to "The Place" used to drive by an 8n parked along the way (red and cream).....was there back in 2007-8....just about the time that they were getting $3K....was kinda "sweaty"....Then saw it on eBay....with a fresh brushed paint job. (gray).

Gone now, always wondered if it went over the $3k price of the "Buy it Now"

LOL, I seriously doubt they got the $3000. Most of them can be had for $1000-$1500 in these parts. A very nice one might bring $2500. I generally pick them up for $500 or less (non running), depending on the price of scrap iron. One of those things, worth more dead than alive. I'm glad you guys like these cushy new machines. Keeps me in business. Also, anything I can't mow on an "N" tractor on this place, gets fixed. 229915_3259318048087_1790066375_n.jpg
    Last edited by brad_mccarty1967; 02-09-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Good post. I've got a MF with loader. It's a late '70's Japanese tractor that's gone out of business. Getting parts would be a problem. I don't use it much. Every time I think about selling it, I use it. I really like the Japanese tractors. They are dependable and fuel efficient.

Interesting enough there are quite a few "gray market tractors" imported from China, India, and other countries.
    These were built for use in the home land, then brought back, rebuilt with different tin (out side body work), and them sold as "new" here.

This way a lot of "new tractor import duties are avoided.

Chrysler did the same thing here in Kenosha, WI....leasing new Dodge pick up-trucks, for 2 years and a very low cost to employees......Plant closed here after 110 years of auto manufacting.

So when confronted with a good deal on a off brand imported tractor, look it over, evidence will include painted over rust in joints between engine and transaxle, wear on pedals, foot resting surfaces etc. etc..

Also note most small tractors (cat #1) mostly all are built over seas, although some may be partially assembled here.....so as to advertised as "made in USA).
    I don't believe any smaller tractors are completely manufactured in the USA.

As far as that goes..... a lot of the bigger tractors, Case/New Holland have castings imported fro China...the shut down the case foundry in Racine, WI........I worked in the plant and saw the boxed up casting for machining.
    Example is the smaller John Deer and Mahindra....share 60% of the same parts, and are sold in JD dealerships.
    (can tell you stories if the "world market manufacturing, these days...LOL)

The good news is that most all imported tractors share engines 3 cylinder turbo/ non turbocharged Mitsubishi or Yammer diesel engines and trans-axles seems to be the most popular.....

I confirmed this by looking at various parts that came in Mitsubishi packaging, and finding a cross reference in the NAPA parts book as fuel and oil filters are crossed referanced in their book.

So pick one that has a dealer support, or at least on that is sold by a dealer in your area.

As quite a few people on our road of small cabins etc....have acquired these, are are actually use on trail rides rather than ATV,/UTV....is kinda like a geriatric group of a biker clubs on trail rides....LOL but with the ability to pick up a dead tree across the trail and just push it aside.

Awesome thread and timely for me. My father has a 70s International 2wd with loader. It's pretty useful for just about all our needs, but a little too large when trying to get around in tighter bush paths or smaller gardens and plots.

Was considering one of the smaller do-it-all tractors, but couldn't figure out kubota from JD from Linhai from XYZ. If they're all being manufactured overseas and all sharing many integral parts, than it would seem that each one is as much a crap-shoot as the rest.

For a short time I'd considered just going back to an old small MF35... but a loader without power steering is no fun. lol

Lots of mid sized tractors use Mitsubishi motors and running gear.....difference is don't ask for a Kubota oil filter for $8 bucks....NAPA equivalent $2.50.

Names don't mean much other than the outside tin and dealer support.

I have been thinking about getting a Mahindra as I have read some good things about them various places, and the price is pretty decent. Wondering if anyone has personal experience with them?
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

So far have had good luck with mine....