Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifespan of first aid stuff.

Default Lifespan of first aid stuff.

I have some suture kits that are expired by a couple of years but they are not open and have always been sealed.

I was just wondering does anyone know if things like this actually go bad? Or is it just more of a recomendation?

I don't know about sutures, but I know that many OVC meds will last a few years past their expiration, just with lesser potency. Minor pain meds and fever reducers are particularly good this way, Tylenol and Advil for example. I've also heard that Vicodin and stuff is the same way, but I don't know.
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

I haven't thought about this.
    I jusy e-mailed a trusted resouce to ask if he had any info.
    I'll post back.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

I think it is more of a recommendation,however I would reseal them in one of those food type vacuum sealers to help insure nothing gets into them,sealing small "pouches" of first aid supplies in those would keep them sterile for a long time as long as they are not damaged,and would keep them waterproof.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I just got an email from Dr Hubbard (The Survival Doctor) and he says they should be good as long as the packaging is good. The vacuum sealing idea is a very good one
    I only carry one suture kit, as I don't like the idea of suturing in the field much; too difficult to get a wound really clean out there.
    I have steristrips in several different sizes that would prefer to use, first. They are less likely to trap an infection.
    BTW, Krazy Glue is the least toxic of the formulations that I have seen, and I have closed wounds it it. A few of those individual use tubes are a good idea for first aid kits, but carry the same downside as suturing.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

This is always gonna be a concern, with all your perishable supplies, not just first aid/meds.

If you have a lot of stuff scattered around, (deploy your assets), keeping it all up-dated is of a constant concern.

The other day I was in my basement/shop/man cave....(home of the karaoke machine, which some of you will understand), went looking for a "Tums"....looked to teh BOB hanging on the shelf, FAK.......Unopened roll, maybe a couple of years old.....hard as a rock,....too lazy/busy to go upstairs to get a fresh one....so tried it anyway....worked.....

Note to self, FAK need up-date/replenishing
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

For inventory, and I have just started this a few months ago, use google calendar. You can set it to email you a reminder on expiration. Enter the item and expiration, what kit is it in, and set a reminder for a day/week/month advance notice. It works for literally thousands of things, pantry items, first aid supplies, garden seed, batteries, anaconda feeding times, etc. etc.

To the sutures particularly, I wouldn't trust them. Yes, the vacuum bag would help, but I consider it late. Things oxidize, without "contamination". Get a new kit, vacuum seal it immediately, then you can trust it for some extended period. How long? Buy a new one and tensile test the old against it? Microscope/magnifying glass compare the surfaces of each? The manufacturer has been through those tests. It ain't worth the risk, it's more than germs.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Before I commented I asked a Nurse about the expiration dates on Medical supplies, His reply was " as long as the seal is intact it should be good" "some Item do break down after time such as suture's , hemostatic gauze , adhesive on bandages, and surgical tubing . I asked what actually breaks down on a suture he said some materials become weaker over time and are more likely break when tied or will dissolve too soon. hope that helps some.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Ok great information. I just got a new Ifak set up on my pack and one of the things was an out dated suture kit. I have used superglue as well and it works great and works instantly. I would only use the suture kit if the superglue wouldent work for some reason. I was mainly wondering if the suture line would break down over time or if it was sealed it would be ok. Its good to think about the lifespan of prepping items as when you need it you dont want to then realize its worthless.

Good to know about the suture kits. Although I don't think they would cause any harm but just nit hold the stitch.

You can also get Vetbond. It's the veterinary brand of Dermabond. Basically a good, non toxic superglue. Dermabond is pretty expensive. I got the vetbond on Amazon fo a reasonable price.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

if you have any kind of clear medical tubing (oxygen, suction, etc.) make sure you check it often. if you notice it starting to get a yellowish tinge to it throw it out. it starting to breakdown and it will also feel kinda sticky. also if you have loved ones on long term oxygen use make sure the tubing and cannula is replaced often due to germs and bacteria that can grow in it.

And just to let ya all know sutures are pretty cheap to get I just got a new 12 pk box of 3/0 mono for 7.50 shipped exp 05 of 2017
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Where did ya get it for that cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmcboom View Post
    Where did ya get it for that cheap?
    This box came from Ebay. sent you a PM with the info

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

I imagine it would also matter under what conditions it was stored. IE the trunk of my car through a Texas summer vs the trunk of my car through an Alaskan summer...
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I imagine it would also matter under what conditions it was stored. IE the trunk of my car through a Texas summer vs the trunk of my car through an Alaskan summer...
    Oh good question, I will ask my friend about that and let ya know what he says.

I got a reply about the storage in hot and cold weathers , First thing he said was DONT leave your bag in the trunk or car ever if your not with it . he said always keep it in the cab so it has climate control , extreme heat will shorten the life of many products . extreme cold isnt as bad except for freezing danger. prolonged exposer to extreme heat will break down the sterile packaging as well as compromise the integrity of the material. sutures being one of them .

Thanks for all the great info.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Many medical supplies have expiration dates for one reason: litigaion.

Sutures, alcohol wipes, band aids, and other isolated non-drug supplies will (if the packaging is undamaged) virtually never expire.
    But the lawyers love a chance to make money.

However, some medications (especially certain prescriptions) can actually degrade chemically, producing toxic byproducts.
    It's best to have relevant information on any prescription drug you may have.

Hi wackdee,

Alcohol wipes tend to dry out after a period of time even if sealed, sutures may remain sterile long after the exp date but strength of the material can become weak.
    Check out this link on prescription meds. I wish this artical came with a list of drugs they tested.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-part-one.aspx