Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: best survival knife

Quote Originally Posted by Highhawk1948 View Post
    I like a 5 to 7 inch blade as a sheath knife along with a pocket knife. I use Randall Made knives out of Orlando, Florida but there are many on the market that fit the bill.
    I second the choice on Randall Made! I'm lucky enough to have inherited one, and it is a beauty, and very robust. I do wonder though, perhaps a shorter blade of 3 to 4 inches might be better suited as a survival knife because although they aren't as useful for batoning, they are less likely to get broken under heavy use. Then again, I suppose something is very wrong if you have to use your knife in a way that the blade might get broken...

Parting shot: I wish the government would allow everyday carry of sheath-knives even in situations where they aren't for "appropriate hunting or sporting purposes"
    I am to misbehave - Captain Mal

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I would be more than comfortable in the woods with any of the kitchen knives I have in this roll. The most I paid was $3 or any one of them.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Most mountain men and early explorers carried kitchen butcher knives.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Most mountain men and early explorers carried kitchen butcher knives.......
    Your absolutely correct, Hunter. Back in the old days an outdoors person carried a pocket knife, like a Barlow, Case, Stock-man, and the like; as well as what they called a "hunting," or camp," knife. This silliness about labeling a knife a "survival knife" is just nonsense to me! A knife is a knife, for crying out loud! In any TRUE survival situation, anything that can cut, slice, or chop will work...even the blade of an ice skate!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

True 'nough, Sarge.
    I have a survival frying pan (which happens to be cast iron) and let me tell you...you do not want to be around when it's being wielded.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    This silliness about labeling a knife a "survival knife" is just nonsense to me! A knife is a knife, for crying out loud!
    I don't agree 100% with this. Of course any knife will work, if there is no others...

But...

I'm a cook, I'm working with a knife all day long. Three or four of them.
    But when I go in the forest, I prefer my Mora and my SAK.
    And in my BOB I have a labeled "survival knife", because it was designed for "survival situations".

When I was young, I used to go in the jungle with a machete.
    A few time I was in the jungle just with an Opinel, but I prefer the machete, better in the jungle, made for the jungle tasks.

So... A butcher knife in a survival situation? Great.
    But a survival knife, better

what defines a '' survival knife'' ?

One that you can afford.

One that is not a burden to carry.

One that you are not afraid to lose.

One that you will carry.

There are other criteria, but those are the main ones I follow. I want a knife that I can afford to replace as I am going to use it hard when the need arises. I want a knife that does't weigh as much as a bag of sand or unwieldy like William Wallace's sword.

Find what fits you and learn to use it and carry it.
    Last edited by roar-k; 01-24-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    One that saves your hide.
    Until that happens, it's just a knife.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AR7 View Post
    I don't agree 100% with this. Of course any knife will work, if there is no others...

But...

I'm a cook, I'm working with a knife all day long. Three or four of them.
    But when I go in the forest, I prefer my Mora and my SAK.
    And in my BOB I have a labeled "survival knife", because it was designed for "survival situations".

When I was young, I used to go in the jungle with a machete.
    A few time I was in the jungle just with an Opinel, but I prefer the machete, better in the jungle, made for the jungle tasks.

So... A butcher knife in a survival situation? Great.
    But a survival knife, better
    Okay, you have a "dedicated, designated, survival knife, good idea!" So can that knife be used in the kitchen? Around camp? Sure it can. I've cooked professionally as well, that's why I like the Victorinox brand over Wenger, they also make the Forschner brand of professional cook's knife. (http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/s...FYxaMgodwDwA2w) I know because I own one of their older 12 inch chef's knives that I bought for two dollars 30 years ago at a flea market in Colorado Springs and it still holds an edge like nobody's business. However, the term "Survival knife," is a sales hook that grabs the eye of many a "newbie" to the outdoors. They see it as a "cure-all" to staying alive, so they have to have the best one! Your idea of a knife stashed in your BOB is a very good one, but we both know that your Mora will get you through as well. I feel that the term "survival" applied to a knife is misleading; it implies that that's all the knife is good for and can be used for. Many people like the idea of having a knife to "baton" with, which is really a bad idea. If you do baton, use only wet, green wood, not dry, dead wood. However, chopping wood is not the function of a knife, but of an ax. True, in a real survival situation you may feel that you have to count on your knife to chop wood for, say, a fire...that is if you don't know any other way to cut wood, and there are several alternatives. Just my dous centavos.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 01-24-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    A knife that will split an anaconda's head in half.
    Klytus, I'm bored -- Emperor Ming

Nature is never boring -- various

Blog Entries

Cool Oh no!

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
    A knife that will split an anaconda's head in half.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I'm sorry to say that I don't own a survival knife one. If I started digging I could scrounge up quite a pile of knives too. Not a one of them have the moniker "survival knife".

I was going to make some Crocodile Dundee quip about "Now 'at's a knife!", but then I found this video and realized his knife is actually really really impressive. I might have to get one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgLOQoVBOqA

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, you aren't entitled to your own set of facts. - Anonymous

BUSH-6 BM MED.JPG

I have an Ontario Bush Knife and though it's sometimes a burden to carry such a big knife on my belt, It work well for everything from chopping down saplings, rough whittling and carving, butchering animals, and probably be good in self defense. Like I said the only drawback is that the large size makes it unwieldy to carry at ones side (and it looks like a weapon, which I guess it is) but I still carry it on private land and it do work. For bug out bag or taking to public places though... ehhhh....
    Last edited by Mozartghost1791; 01-25-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Picture didn't show up
    "Sometimes the best spear is the one you don't throw."
    -Johnny Whitefeather, Self-Proclaimed Native American

"Drop the weapon and put your hands on your head!"
    -What you can usually hear when I try to demonstrate the above quote.

My favorite and most used knife, is my cold steel bushman. it does every thing I need it to do , from dinner to field its my go to knife.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mozartghost1791 View Post
    BUSH-6 BM MED.JPG

I have an Ontario Bush Knife and though it's sometimes a burden to carry such a big knife on my belt, It work well for everything from chopping down saplings, rough whittling and carving, butchering animals, and probably be good in self defense. Like I said the only drawback is that the large size makes it unwieldy to carry at ones side (and it looks like a weapon, which I guess it is) but I still carry it on private land and it do work. For bug out bag or taking to public places though... ehhhh....
    Pretty sweet tool there! Perhaps my sense of scale is off, but that seems like the perfect size to me. Then again, I do tend to prefer "mini-machetes" XD

Careful with that "probably good in self defense" talk though... while you CAN do that, I'd suggest you take some classes or at least do some research into how knife-fighting works, including knife-vs-knife AND knife-vs-gun. You don't want to have an embarrassing slip-up when you find yourself needing to fend off an attacker. Just like people shouldn't buy a gun for self-defense without first training how to do defend themselves with a gun, it's a good idea to read up on where you can go to learn safe knifeplay. If you don't learn how to use a knife in a fight, I'd recommend learning disarms instead, because they'd probably serve you better than just guessing what to do with your blade. Plus, disarms are just good to know in case you find yourself without your edc, because your gun/knife will never be there when you need it most.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatUsername View Post
    Pretty sweet tool there! Perhaps my sense of scale is off, but that seems like the perfect size to me. Then again, I do tend to prefer "mini-machetes" XD

Careful with that "probably good in self defense" talk though... while you CAN do that, I'd suggest you take some classes or at least do some research into how knife-fighting works, including knife-vs-knife AND knife-vs-gun. You don't want to have an embarrassing slip-up when you find yourself needing to fend off an attacker. Just like people shouldn't buy a gun for self-defense without first training how to do defend themselves with a gun, it's a good idea to read up on where you can go to learn safe knifeplay. If you don't learn how to use a knife in a fight, I'd recommend learning disarms instead, because they'd probably serve you better than just guessing what to do with your blade. Plus, disarms are just good to know in case you find yourself without your edc, because your gun/knife will never be there when you need it most.
    My annual state training at the prison includes "disarm." I appreciate the value of that, however, the biggest lesson I've learned from that is that I don't want to be in a knife fight.
    Klytus, I'm bored -- Emperor Ming

Nature is never boring -- various

Quote Originally Posted by Mozartghost1791 View Post
    BUSH-6 BM MED.JPG

You are correct that knife is way too big for you, Save yourself send it to me ASAP .... LOL Ive held them in my hands and love the feel , I like a big knife but not a heavy knife thats why i think I stuck with the bushman.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Though I haven't trained in any knife-2-knife fighting, I have done some practice in how to disarm and counterattack a knife wielding opponent when I am unarmed... 5 years of Karate.... Also studied some advanced knife throwing but I'd not use my Ontario for that unless it was the Absolute Last Ditch... However, the various swordfighting/stickfighting skills that I've picked up over the years should at least give me an average chance with a knife. Personally I'd cut a big old branch and hit the attacker with that... Better chance of success if the guy knows I'm coming.
    As far as the uses of a heavy knife... makes chopping much easier on the arms/wrists, while making carrying all that much harder on the hip. I actually made a special 'harness' that helps support the huge sheath over one shoulder while being attached to my belt as well... still burdensome but I don't know when I'll get around to getting another lighter knife. One of you posted a pic of a roll of kitchen knives with wooden handles and I think I have two of those exact same ones. If I had a sheath that worked for them I might consider that.
    "Sometimes the best spear is the one you don't throw."
    -Johnny Whitefeather, Self-Proclaimed Native American

"Drop the weapon and put your hands on your head!"
    -What you can usually hear when I try to demonstrate the above quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffy View Post
    My annual state training at the prison includes "disarm." I appreciate the value of that, however, the biggest lesson I've learned from that is that I don't want to be in a knife fight.
    That's precisely why everyone--law abiding and criminal alike--prefers guns.
    Could you use a knife to kill someone? Yes, no brainer.
    But why would you wanna get that close if you have an option of shooting him dead without risking harm to yourself?